Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

demello bolt on help

Old 07-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon
silverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant future

Name: SlickRick
silverbullet05's Tacoma Gallery
demello bolt on help

Got a couple of quick questions about the install of these demello bolt on hybrid sliders. Since there is no instructions I have just had to try and think it threw. this is what I have come up with

1) I have heard people talk about having to drill six holes. that leads me to believe that the bolt that is in the frame gets used and you use the extra nut to secure it. Using the other 6 shorter bolts to secure the bottom in the drilled out holes. Then the other 8 longer bolts secure the side of the frame and you use the 8 pieces of metal to spread the load of the bolt. Does that sound about right.

2) What type and size of drill bit did you use? Will I need multiple bits?

3)Anything else you can add would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
I used 2 bits a 1/4" one as a pilot and a 9/16 one to finish.

make sure you hit the center of the hole you can use the 9/16 first to make the center mark the use the 1/4 to drill trhrough . Then finifh withh the 9/16 drill.

timmer
I'd say that's super solid advice if you don't have access to a transfer punch. I'd maybe even trace the hole with a sharpie for visual peace of mind.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
If it gets to be to big a pain in the ass and you dont want them I will take them off your hands for you.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon
silverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant future

Well I haven't drilled the holes as of yet, but they are mounted. I have to wait till grainger opens to get a 9/16" cobalt bit. I got a 1/4" for the pilot hole but the depot only had sizes up to a 1/2". I will drill out the holes tomorrow and finish the job. here is a pic of them on.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 AM   #7
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
i used USS (the bigger O.D. ones) flat washers on all the bolts, except the sides with the square washers. don't know if it was neccesary, but can't hurt either.

get some never-sieze on the threads when you bolt them up...will save a PITA if you ever take em back off.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
HoosierTacoma08 will become famous soon enough

Name: Jared
HoosierTacoma08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
I drilled them with the sliders already bolted on the frame. that way I couldnt miss.
Yep, thats what I did as well. K.I.S.S.

Love my DeMello's!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
rpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to behold

Name: Roger
rpparkster's Tacoma Gallery
Silver, I have the same sliders and I only used the ones with holes. Used them twice when I got caught on some rocks and didn't have any problems. I just had issues with drilling into my frame so just left them. I know of another TW member that hasn't drilled his either and he says he's fine without doing them.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

I need to find a drill that can except this big as 9/16 bit I got. I need to find some adapter to turn a 1/2 chuck to a 3/4. Anyone know any solutions. Do they make a chuck for air tools. I have a big ass drill with no handles and no clutch and I don't want that thing to rip my arms off. I needs a new cord after it got away from a buddy. dam near broke his wrist.

I am not too worried about drilling a hole in the frame since there are numerous holes threw out it. like the ones you are bolting to. I am going to leave the one that is right on a weld but drill the rest if I can get a drill sorted out.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
FL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
They make 9/16 bits with a 1/2 shank.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

yeah but i got the bit already. I thinks i might need to return it for one with a smaller shank.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Forester View Post
They make 9/16 bits with a 1/2 shank.
called a "Silver & Deming" bit.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
salsataco is on a distinguished road
salsataco's Tacoma Gallery
1/2 bit is fine....
Old 07-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

I think the bolt is 1/2" so I figured 9/16 would give it some room so I wouldn't damage the threads when installing. I think I am going to drill it out at 1/2" and see if it fits. I just didn't use common sense when I got that bit from grainger. I was focused on it being a 9/16 cobalt that I didn't even think about the shank size till i got it home. If I can get that 1/2 to work then I can return this bit to grainger and get my money back.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #16
salsataco is on a distinguished road
salsataco's Tacoma Gallery
1/2" DOES work. A drill doctor also helps keep that bit cutting fast.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #17

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsataco View Post
1/2" DOES work. A drill doctor also helps keep that bit cutting fast.
X2. use 1/2". they are snug...but that's a good thing. if you want a little room use 17/64 instead of 9/16. get some spray cutting fluid when you get the new bit. don't need to spin the drill as fast as it will go either...use low gear if you have it on your drill. otherwise, i would recommend about half your drill's max speed. the trick is to keep the bit cool. when it gets hot, the metal loses it's temper and will become dull very quickly. a few squirts of cutting fluid will leave your bit nearly as sharp as when you started. to see how hot the bit gets, grab ahold of one of the shavings of metal it just shaved out of your frame. i caught a couple down the back of my shirt when i put my sliders on

good luck!