Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

How do I remove the sway bar?

Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
usnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Air Traffic Controller First Class
Name: Clark
usnatclee's Tacoma Gallery
How do I remove the sway bar?

I want to disconnect my sway bar before I go offroad to see if I want to remove it completely. Can someone post a picture of the bolt I need to remove from each side? I am just starting to do my own work on my truck and dont wanna remove something I shouldnt.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
You can do it with the tires on but it will be hard if you dont know what you are doing. Try one side with the tire off then see if u can do the other side with it on. Each side has an end link. One bolt you take off. It attaches to the spindle. Then follow the swaybar toward the front of the truck and you will see where it bolts to the frame. There are two bolts there. So all together you will take off 6 nuts/bolts. You will have to take the front skidplate off though. Do that first. Just get under there and you will see the bolts for that.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
check out the fourth picture down. that is how to disconnect the sway bar for off roading correct guys?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tall-ucas.html
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto932 View Post
check out the fourth picture down. that is how to disconnect the sway bar for off roading correct guys?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tall-ucas.html
You have to take it off completely though or it will bounce around and jack stuff up. Thats half of it!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
crawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the rough
Name: Greg
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
why just for off-roading... why not leave it off ALL the time?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
crawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the rough
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto932 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
The anti sway bar helps to keep the two sides of the suspension from articulating in opposite directions. One side up, the other down. It limits off road articulation, but really helps on the road. Not so much on the Interstate, but alot on back roads in turns. Leave it on.
Good read, thanks moto932.

Here's my take...
I like having traction from as many wheels as possible. So if the front swaybar lifts the unloaded side, that's bad imo under all circumstances, road or off-road. Manufacturers use front swaybars as an effective way to induce understeer, which is a "safe" balance for most drivers, but not me
The bar also adds spring rate when loaded without sacraficing ride quality when unloaded.

I've always attempted to remove understeer from my vehicles, but this is my first truck, and 4x4, so its a whole different animal. I'll be sure to increase my knowledge on the subject before I start pulling off suspension components though.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
As you increase the spring rate of the front anti-sway bar (leaving all else the same), the vehicle does tend to understeer more in hard cornering situations.

The benefit is that you tend to maintain stability in the front suspension, so that neither side lays on the bump stops, and the suspension geometry stays closer to ideal.

If you want to remove understeer--something that autocross people like to do--then consider adding a rear anti-sway bar. A properly balanced front and rear anti sway bar set can give you neutral cornering (no understeer, no oversteer), which will make for a very stable vehicle in emergency maneuvers.

Simply removing the front sway bar will make rapid or emergency steering maneuvers much more difficult to control, and the vehicle will be more likely to roll.

People who autocross their cars know quite a bit about suspension setup (I have done a few autocross runs in my previous car, and I might even do a few in my Tacoma.) Here's one guide to suspension tuning:
http://www.wtrscca.org/tech.htm#problems
Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
I have a modified Prelude that I auto-x and race, so I get it

The way my stock truck feels right now, I have very little confidence in any type of emergency maneuver. I plan to drive slow and safe with it, and avoid any quick steering input.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it's probably better than starting a whole new thread.

this long bar here is the sway bar right?

and here at the end of the bar is the sway bar connector right?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Is it tough to renistall the sway bar by yourself?

Any idea as to how much it weighs? I need to take mine off soon.
It's doable by yourself. Maybe weighs 20 pounds. Don't remember though.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #15
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
i just disconnected the sway bar ball joints and left the sway bar in the harness...

is it ok to leave it on/under the truck and just disconnected?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #16
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
I think I read somewhere that it can get tangled up if you leave it hanging there...but I'm not positive on that cuz I haven't taken mine off yet.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
With 2nd gen not good. But you have a first so not sure.
why not? it gives you a lot of articulation along w a better ride. just dont take sharp turns at high speeds
Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #20
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Sorry. My post was directed at tacomarotto.
ohhh yeah x2 for bad idea