1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does anyone make an aluminum front bumper?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by ERdept, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Just for thought and FWIW, if you saw that someone welded up some shit on the frame when buying a truck would you still buy it or take the sellers reason as to why that was done? I would think it was wrecked and the frame bent and he fixed it half ass..just saying the resale value might really take a hit from a dealer or private party, or even the insurance company when you need them.

2. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    it is all about the thickness, i have aluminum boot guards, and skids on my atv, and have beat them to hell. they have some scratches here and there, but no dents. making a comparison to a soda can is silly.

3. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Last vehicle I traded to the dealer in a push/pull/drag special and they didn't care what shape it was in. Most dealers don't get under it enough to inspect every frame bend and weld to know it's different from stock so.... :rolleyes:

Weld plate on, grind the welds clean, spray undercoating on and I bet no one even notices it.

4. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Okay, this is Josh's BS opinion on the subject. IF you want lightweight, and some LIMITED front end protection, go with an Avid OR bar (Theres a thread for this, also ArizonaD54's profile) If you want good protection and some extra beef to your taco, go ARB, Shrockworks, CBI etc. OR bumpers are designed to take some limited abuse and still protect the vitals on the vehicle. Companies like ARB, (Australia) build their stuff with front end impacts in mind. (like hitting a 200kg kangaroo at 50km/h), others (CBI) build theirs for racing and brush protection. (Prerunner style) It comes down to what your willing to spend and what kind of protection you want. Aluminum is ok, but steel is better. Google ARB crashes, some wicked pics with minimal damage to the bumper. If your that worried about fuel economy, get a deisel or a smaller 4 banger.

5. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    Timber

Timber Crankey Old Yacht Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports
    just a couple comfort items.
    There is no question someone could build an aluminum plate bumper that would as strong as any steel one out there, and it would be lighter, but it would add substantially to the cost! I am really considering building my rear bumper out of aluminum if I can find the right deal on the stock I need.

Products Discussed in

To Top