Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Does anyone make an aluminum front bumper?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone make an aluminum front bumper?

Looking for ones like Allpro offroads or really anyone's that has high tapers in fron of the wheel and good clearance, but aluminum to save weight.

Same for rear.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
This is probably just me being ignorant, but isn't aluminum more brittle than steel? I'd think that, for a bumper, you'd want a metal that's able to absorb an impact and bend rather than something that would be prone to cracking.

I figure there's a reason why nobody but Toyota makes skidplates out of aluminum. That factory-option skidplate looks slick but I'm not sure if I'd trust it to really protect the IFS in an impact.

Just thinking out loud here...
Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I've always known aluminum to bend. No experiences with bumpers here, but all my aluminum pots could be folded in half and not break.

Aluminum cans I drink from bend inwards and outwards easily.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I would NOT want another flexible bumper on the front end. The stock one is flexible, and it breaks everything behind it when it bends. Difference would be that the stock bumper can snap back like nothing happened (which misleads you about the real amount of damage), and the aluminum wouldn't. The aluminum would have to me hammered out or replaced. So you just spent a lot of money for something not much stronger than the stock crap.

Me, I'm going with a plate steel bumper from Shrockworks, All-Pro, or someone else when I have the money for one. Hell, I may even gusset the frame for it goes on to cut down the number of crush zones so the bumper can take a hit without folding the truck in half.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, I've seen the light.

I see different makes from Shrockworks, Allpro, ARB.

I want one that's light. The lightest steel bumper.

What say ye?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
do it the old fashion way, post up 3 or 4 bumpers and let us vote and spend your money!!! i shopping for tacoma parts and spending other's people money!!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Jackson View Post
do it the old fashion way, post up 3 or 4 bumpers and let us vote and spend your money!!! i shopping for tacoma parts and spending other's people money!!

Well, that's not too helpful. I know you're joking. But I'm just tryng to get answers from members with experience.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:14 AM   #8
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Alright, I've seen the light.

I see different makes from Shrockworks, Allpro, ARB.

I want one that's light. The lightest steel bumper.

What say ye?
All pro's older style tube bumper is probably the lightest. Their newer style is plate, and I think ALL of them run around the 100-120lb range. Not sure what the tubular bumpers weigh.

Read through TTORA for more discussions, but I wouldn't recommend posting there much. I signed up just to subscribe to bumper related threads to catch updates, but rarely post. I don't need the crap storm that comes along with that!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:16 AM   #9

this should be light because it is not solid, just bars, not sure if it was your looking for or not. that is why i said post some pics, easier to get an idea of what your looking for
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone make an aluminum front bumper?-tacomabumper.jpg  
Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
this should be light because it is not solid, just bars, not sure if it was your looking for or not. that is why i said post some pics, easier to get an idea of what your looking for

L....

Yeah, that looks good. Know who makes it? Thanks bro.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #11

no clue, that is just one of the pics floating around in our TW Gallery I copied.....
Old 01-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #12

http://www.customtacos.com/gallery2/...0&ppuser=20857

this one looks very heavy, but heavy duty to say the least. you can ask the guy where he got it, etc if you are interested.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #13
Devout Atheist

Quote:
http://www.customtacos.com/gallery2/...0&ppuser=20857

this one looks very heavy, but heavy duty to say the least. you can ask the guy where he got it, etc if you are interested.
It's an ARB painted to match the truck. Plate steel and yes it's heavy. Especially with a 50+lb winch.

http://arbusa.com/toyota.php
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I would NOT want another flexible bumper on the front end. The stock one is flexible, and it breaks everything behind it when it bends. Difference would be that the stock bumper can snap back like nothing happened (which misleads you about the real amount of damage), and the aluminum wouldn't. The aluminum would have to me hammered out or replaced. So you just spent a lot of money for something not much stronger than the stock crap.

Me, I'm going with a plate steel bumper from Shrockworks, All-Pro, or someone else when I have the money for one. Hell, I may even gusset the frame for it goes on to cut down the number of crush zones so the bumper can take a hit without folding the truck in half.
sorry for the thread jacking but...
If I put on one of the plated steel bumpers froM all pro or ARB and god forbid I hit run into the back of someone at 50mph then bumper should be fine right? And you say the fame is part one of the crush zones so, so putting on that steel bumper will put all of the strain on the frame and bend it? Any way I can reinforce the frame??
Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
If I put on one of the plated steel bumpers froM all pro or ARB and god forbid I hit run into the back of someone at 50mph then bumper should be fine right? And you say the fame is part one of the crush zones so, so putting on that steel bumper will put all of the strain on the frame and bend it? Any way I can reinforce the frame??
You hit another solid object going 50+ MPH, you're toast. Chuck Norris could have built your bumper with his own hands and your truck would still be in for a world of hurt rear ending a car at 50MPH.

Granted, you're going to likely come out better than the car you hit, but like a knife fight, "everyone gets cut".
Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #16
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
Another guy on here reinforced the frame by welding small pieces of plate still over the thinner sections of frame that were designed to fold or crush on impact. I was planning on just doing the same. Anything that looked thinner than the rest of the frame or had a bend in it, weld the shit out of it!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
L....

Yeah, that looks good. Know who makes it? Thanks bro.
Its the allPro Bumper Hybrid... They dont produce it anymore.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #18
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
You hit another solid object going 50+ MPH, you're toast. Chuck Norris could have built your bumper with his own hands and your truck would still be in for a world of hurt rear ending a car at 50MPH.

Granted, you're going to likely come out better than the car you hit, but like a knife fight, "everyone gets cut".
^what he said! I'm more into reinforcing the frame so that a low-speed impact with a tree, or medium speed impact with a deer (say maybe 30-40mph max) isn't gonna total the frame.

As in, something that strong enough to bend the bumper, or snap a bolt holding it on but won't twist the frame. So the bumper could be hammered out, straightened, and be good to go. Not have to get a shop to straighten the frame, replace it, or rework half the supports to get it back on.

So it doesn't act like the stock plastic bumper when it flexes enough that it tears out all the little braces and snap fasteners that hold it in place. I'd rather have my bumper dented or cracked than hanging by a thread because all the supports broke.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #19
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Another guy on here reinforced the frame by welding small pieces of plate still over the thinner sections of frame that were designed to fold or crush on impact. I was planning on just doing the same. Anything that looked thinner than the rest of the frame or had a bend in it, weld the shit out of it!
I can already imagine how explaining what the h*ll I'm doing under the truck with a welder to my dad...not gonna go to well haha