Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

How are these tow hook-ups used?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
How are these tow hook-ups used?

The clevis which is what I'm aware of. You use the tow strap on this.

But, how are the other two used, the tow eye and the tow hook? Same way with the tow strap?

http://www.etrailer.com/c-wth.htm
Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah...they're all recovery devices. It's all personal preference and/or where and how you mount them.

I personally like the D-rings best because the strap won't fall off or slide off.

If you buy a hook - make sure it has the 'keeper' on it (retainer clip) becauase it'll help hold the strap in place.

Pardon - here's a picture of a hook w/ retainer on my old (RIP) jeep.
http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/albums/J...5-2521_IMG.JPG

If you have a regular reciever & ball .... you can remove the ball put a D-ing in the hole and use that as a tow point also.

In a pinch - I've used angle iron and drilled a hole in it for a d-ring and mounted the angle iron where my bumperettes go (jeep thing again).
Old 01-22-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I got the D-Ring that fits into the hitch. I'll put a lock on it if there's actually one to fit the ring. I know there's one for the hitch.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
I have one that looks exactly like the second one down on the link you posted (had part # SW2546 on that link). Only used it a time or two, but it works really well for when you have to have a hook up point on the rear of your truck.

As for a lock, I haven't found one that satisfactory for the ring itself, but as for the portion that fits in to the receiver, I use this (link) and it seems to work really well (i.e. - hasn't been stolen yet).
Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the rest. I have a hitch mounted D ring like the second one down and it works great.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
natrlyst will become famous soon enough

natrlyst's Tacoma Gallery
The hitch mounted d ring will work well but you do not require it if you have a hitch, hook the strap right to your hitch. I have a 3 inch wide two strap, hook it right to your hitch. The front is a different story.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
I have the tow eye in the link and hope to never have to use it. Also a 20' X 3" yank strap and two 6' lengths of 5/8" chain with a chain link hook and a keeper strap type hook on each end. The tow eye will handle any combination.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
you can always go this route

tube bumper with eyelets for d-rings

i have one on each side right at the frame rails
Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrlyst View Post
The hitch mounted d ring will work well but you do not require it if you have a hitch, hook the strap right to your hitch. I have a 3 inch wide two strap, hook it right to your hitch. The front is a different story.
I hope to god your not talking about the ball on your hitch
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
before my rear bumper i wouldnt even get a plug...i just put the lock pin thru the hitch reciever with the end of the tow strap looped around the pin

worked fine for what i did with it
Old 05-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #11
natrlyst will become famous soon enough

natrlyst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hui View Post
I hope to god your not talking about the ball on your hitch

No I am not talking about the ball, I am talking about the hitch mount. I am not an idiot.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I really like my d-ring hitch. I think it's rated to 10,000 lbs.

I got it for around $25 from CSE Offroad.com (ebay store)
Old 05-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I really like my d-ring hitch. I think it's rated to 10,000 lbs.

I got it for around $25 from CSE Offroad.com (ebay store)
yeah, you're right, it 's rated at 10,00lbs. i have the same one. i've only had to use a couple times, but it works great. one of those times was actually to pull down a big dead tree in my back yard