Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Why do off-roaders prefer steel wheels over aluminum?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Why do off-roaders prefer steel wheels over aluminum?

I heard that the steel were preferred for off-roading. Please explain why so I can understand.

Also, aren't allow lighter and stronger?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
TacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud of

TacoSter's Tacoma Gallery
not an expert but steel takes the dings and scrapes better than aluminum
or does not show as much anyway. I do know that aluminum bends easy as well...found out with normal street pot holes!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Steel = you can bang the dents out of them after hitting that rock or stump.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
So basically, for off roading purposes, steel is more resiliant/durable.

But, what about rust. I figure the off road tires and wheel are subjected to more imersion into not only water, but muddy water and in deeper water under stress.

Doesn't that rust them?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Muddy water causes no more rust than spring water. If getting the wheels wet hurt them there'd be a big yellow sticker on them warning us to dry them after driving in the rain. They'll outlast the truck, wash them when they're dirty and inspect them once in a while for damage, spot paint if needed.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:53 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
They're CHEAPER!!

I never priced alluminum wheels.... but I'm pretty sure they're more expensive.

For me - I'd rather have a cheap set of steal black rockcrawler rims for $45 each and not care whether I trash'm up or ding'm up - I can hammer them back into shape and they'll work just as good. And - even if I trash one beyond repair, it only costs $45 to get a new one.

If you offroad hard - the black rockcrawler rims are the cheapest to get new and sooo much easier to replace.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:29 AM   #7
rallyandbosox is on a distinguished road

rallyandbosox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
They're CHEAPER!!

Exactly, it's about cost. If you mess up a steel wheel really bad, you can replace it easily. An alloy wheel costs significantly more.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
steel bends alloy's break... I've seen $300 alloy wheels with pieces missing after hitting a rock....I've seen stock steel chevy wheels straightened with an 8 lb sledge and a winch and hold air rest of way home lol....
Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
steel bends alloy's break... I've seen $300 alloy wheels with pieces missing after hitting a rock....I've seen stock steel chevy wheels straightened with an 8 lb sledge and a winch and hold air rest of way home lol....
Yep, been there, done that. I had steelies on my 74' Scout. I landed on a boulder harder than I thought. When I got off the incline and inspected it, I had a flat tire and a bent rim...

I always wondered why my buddy carried a sledge hammer. Now I know. I drove back home on it after about 20 good whacks and a little compressor action. I sold the truck with the rim, but sold the rim as a spare. *YES - I did tell the guy that it had been bent.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
The steelies just look bad ass! Cheap too. I'll be getting some very soon.