Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Solution for tire air up on the trail?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #21
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Hard wire one in and forget about it. It's always there and waiting.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #22
ruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud ofruppmeister has much to be proud of

Army:
ruppmeister's Tacoma Gallery
Kilo - can you give some detail as to how you did this. I am REALLY wanting to do this with the compressor I have (MV-50?). I would definitely want this if the extra tank is something not too expensive.

A write-up would be AWESOME dude!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #23
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I know a couple guys with that exact Viair setup. You have to stop and take breaks while its working because it overheats. The little Masterflow/Superflow MV-50 is a great cheap alternative. Buy that, hardwire it in under the hood, add a 3-5 gallon tank with a pressure shutoff switch and you have a great little OBA system for relatively low cost.
i have the MV-50 and it did all four tires from 20 up to 35 in like 15 minutes w/o overheating
Old 10-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #24
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
I got one of the Sun Performance Compressors in a group buy on CT. 100% duty cycle at 200psi. Its probably one of the best things ive done. I also did a 2.5 gallon tank so airing up is pretty quick.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #25
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
there is always the option of a standard bike pump. i have never tried it, but in theory it would work. the pressure of tires is nothing compared to bike tires. it would take forever, but you would get a good workout. if nothing else, you could do it just enough to get to the nearest gas station
Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #26
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It should. No idea how much power it will draw....If you get it, you may want to make sure the bed outlet has enough juice to power it, befreo takeing it on the trail.
According to Sears it draws 3.3 amps. 3.3x120= 396Watts. Almost the max of the inverter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What's wrong with liquid CO2?

I had one in the back of my 96 tacoma for a few years.
From what I understand at cold temps it becomes pretty useless.

I went with a ARB air compressor (CKMA12 high output) for the FJ and will buy one again for the Tacoma. TRDParts4U has them I think for $230 now. I'm able to air up 4 265/75 16's from 15psi to 36psi in 12 minutes. The compressor comes with the wiring loom, pressure switch, relays and extra connectors to wire in two lockers if need be.

Scroll down some.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #27
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
According to Sears it draws 3.3 amps. 3.3x120= 396Watts. Almost the max of the inverter.
Right. Wich is why I suggested he try it before relying on it. Its right there at the max the bed outlet will run.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #28
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
After listening to everyone and trying to compromise I found this at harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95275

and then I would get this to go with it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91860

While it's not the best, I think it might work for what I'm wanting to do...

Any thoughts or comments?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #29
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
After listening to everyone and trying to compromise I found this at harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95275

and then I would get this to go with it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91860

While it's not the best, I think it might work for what I'm wanting to do...

Any thoughts or comments?
Cant argue the price. Try it out, and tell us what ya think.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #30

Quote:
For the same price you can get the Masterflow MF-50 and it puts out more air.
Seems those are starting to fall apart, though....I have heard a few people have the pistons shatter in theirs.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #31
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo View Post
Hard wire one in and forget about it. It's always there and waiting.

Very Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Seems those are starting to fall apart, though....I have heard a few people have the pistons shatter in theirs.
If you can. Do one tire. Let the compressor cool down. Do another tire. Let it cool down....

As much as many of these talk about 100% duty cycle. They may be - for what life span? 100 cycles? IMO Heat and shock (pouring cold water on a hot compressor) kills these things. If you want to pour water on these things, create a water filed jacket
Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #32

Quote:
and you think that Harbor Freight compressor will hold up?

My MF-50 was used for about a year and I didn't have any issues.. its actually my backup compressor should something happen to my Oasis.
LOL!! You have a point.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
If you can. Do one tire. Let the compressor cool down. Do another tire. Let it cool down....

As much as many of these talk about 100% duty cycle. They may be - for what life span? 100 cycles? IMO Heat and shock (pouring cold water on a hot compressor) kills these things. If you want to pour water on these things, create a water filed jacket
True!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #34
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
So I went to harbor freight and bought this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93796

I'm going to test it out this weekend and let everyone know how it works. So far i plugged it into the bed outlet and it powered up just fine. In about 30 seconds on, it was at 34 psi in the tank. Not too bad, but what do I know...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #35
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
So I went to harbor freight and bought this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93796

I'm going to test it out this weekend and let everyone know how it works. So far i plugged it into the bed outlet and it powered up just fine. In about 30 seconds on, it was at 34 psi in the tank. Not too bad, but what do I know...
Let us know how it goes! Would love to have something that already has regulator, etc.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #36
GASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to behold

Name: Josh
GASH's Tacoma Gallery
I have the VIAIR 300P it works well enough for my 265/70/17 DuraTracs, it wasn't very expensive on Amazon.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #37
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I like the info i've gotten out of this thread. I've been going between a Viair setup, or a 15lb The Source sport CO2 setup but still undecided.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #38
Seasoned Newbie
poff1986 will become famous soon enoughpoff1986 will become famous soon enough

Name: Brad
poff1986's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend this one... quick and easy.... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8iy-IxFWAc
Old 10-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #39
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by poff1986 View Post
I recommend this one... quick and easy.... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8iy-IxFWAc
Now that was impressive. What was that? Starter fluid? Cool! Also, if you remove that image tag you won't get whacked with a falling x!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #40

Looks like it deflated perttey quick after the bead was seated....

Products Discussed in this Thread