1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare Tire Carrier-Prerunner Style

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by dysfunctnlretard, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Nov 12, 2009 at 9:52 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    http://www.tiregate.com/prerunner_0.shtml

Ive seen a few threads on here about carriers but none seem to provide a definitive answer. DOes anyone know of a carrier like this one ^ that doesnt cost $700?

thecoz likes this.
  2. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    swing out, nope...

fixed, you are better off having one fabricated on the truck...

i dont recall seeing any trucks whooping it up in the desert with that on the back...

i have seen a couple full sizes rockin those at Barstow, but they are typically just cruising up and down the fire roads, not bashing, so not sure how durable they are over time...

3. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    i was told by one of there reps that it can withstand 20G... im assuming pounds maybe but not to sure.... but he said if your gonna go that hard u should worry more about the truck than anything else....

4. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    words of wisdom right there...

if planning to use the truck for prerunning, invest in the rest of the truck instead...

although, $700 is a pretty good price for the bling factor...

5. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    true... it looks good... i just like it cuz u can reverse it and still utilize the bed... i still have a good time with it but not as hard as yall lol... this is my only method of transportation and if i f@#$% it up my ass is screwed...

6. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Well Im just looking for a way to mount a spare tire in the bed without spending a grip of cash. I agree that for $700, I might as well get a leaf pack and some shocks, which serve a much better purpose than making my spare look cute.

7. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    i agree haha... but im deff in the same boat u are right now...but im not to fond of having the tire under the truck in the first place thats whats bugging me...

8. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    try and see if a local shop will make one for ya will be alot cheaper are you looking for somthing to swing?

9. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:42 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    No, Id actually prefer it not to swing. I dont wanna see my spare next to my window while Im flooring it in the desert. lol.

Not sure if I want it in bed though or out

10. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    now thats understandable... i know a couple of people who have it... and they have had "fun" with it and havent come into any problem ... but i do get your point tho it makes sense...

11. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    you saw bajamoons tire carrier pretty nice. thats something i want

12. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:46 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    u talking about the one thats all the way in the bed closer to the cab right..??

13. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:48 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
  14. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:55 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    where in so cal are u... if i may ask...??

15. Nov 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    right on... My cousin goes to UC Irvine maybe the next time ill go out there ill check it out...

16. Nov 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    1BlkT

1BlkT Mod'n on a Budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Sport Double Cab
    Allied 4'' Spindles, Sway A Way 2.5 Coilovers, Donahoe Remote Reservoir Shocks w/ Deaver 11Pack Leafs, Goodyear Duratrac 285's, Pro Comp Series 8128, Recessed Grill w/Hella 500's behind, Tint, Black TRD Skid Plate, Debadged, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Weathertech Mats, Aero Turbine 2525XL Exhaust, Volant Intake, RETRO'D Headlights by Yosh2000
    This guy looks to be selling the first one mentioned :confused:

Looks like he still wants $550. Well at least it will give you an idea of it on the tacoma.

17. Nov 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    damn. How much do you think itll cost to get a shop to fab me up one? If its too much maybe Ill just offer this guy xxxx for it and get a good deal on it.

18. Nov 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    i used to have one of those on my truck.. sold it awhile back and have something similar but even better on there now.

over all the tiregate did its job. it held the spare and didnt vibrate much, however it was a PITA to open and close. as soon as you pulled it open it drooped down from the weight of the tire and the poor hinges they use. so then when you went to close it you have to pick it up to get it lined back up.

19. Nov 13, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    damn it im too slow... haha... y is he selling it.... he was saying something that his truck was broken..??:confused:

20. Nov 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    yea... it does seem like a 2 man job... or do i need to hit the gym more haha...

Products Discussed in

To Top