1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Death Valley Off-Road Adventures

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Crom, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Feb 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I've had a Shrockworks most all of my truck's life. Don't get me wrong, I like it and it has saved my truck from some severe damage, if I did it over again, I may choose this route.

I wheel with some folks that still have a stock bumper. Yeah the stock bumper is scratched but it affords higher gas mileage, lighter and it almost always pops right out when dented.

Knowing what I know today, I may have gone that route! :) It would pay for itself in gas mileage alone.

2. Feb 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    Yeah, I hear ya when it comes to the mileage, and the fact that I could get my hands on that AND a winch for about the same price as a good plate bumper. I'm so rarely anywhere that I need the protection of a plate bumper. Ive been running a tube bumper for 3 or so years for now and havent needed anything more, save the ability to run a winch.

3. Feb 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Just how I started out too.

You most likely are getting the Sport due to the fact that Toyota doesn't offer the long bed DC in an off-road package. Still a great truck that will get you places but if you don't have to have the bed length or full size back seats I say get the OR package.

Tires were the first things I changed once the exploration (off-roading) bug bit me. The rugged fails got me through Titus and then from Furnace Creek up to Crankshaft Junction and on to Eureka Dunes. I had my gf and daughter with me and I try to be prepared as possible. My rig has grown in the past years after that first trip as has my knowledge. Be safe and try to get in on some group runs where you can gain more than you have now.

Once you go to Death Valley you will be hooked. The park is so big and there is so much to see and do it will take years just to have the major places seen.

When do you pick up your truck?

Who's in for a run to Saline in two weeks? Probably do Eureka-Dedeckera-Steel Pass (with a short hike/exploration)-Springs-North Pass out unless it got more snow recently. We will have many road reports after Presidents Day weekend.

4. Feb 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I may be up for it. :) I have a couple of balls up in the air right now.

Personally, I like the idea of a Sport (trade out the skewp) or Base since I'm a strong fan of the 8.4 rear with an ARB. I went through more than my fair share of elockers (warrantied by EastCoastGearSupply.com). I have had zero problems with the ARBs :)

5. Feb 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    Were your problems with the e-locker? or the gears? Theres something wrong with my e-locker/wiring, I'm not 100% sure, but I cant get it to lock. Im starting to think its something in the wire loom because my locker motor works on other trucks, but not mine...

Sorry to get off topic...

6. Feb 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    PM me if you would like but have you tested the outputs and gone upstream?... Mine was eating Ring Gears. I also don't like being stuck locked from time-to-time - especially when you need to make a turn immediately after needing the locker. ARBs are on in seconds and disengage far easier. :) The only deal is the cost - especially if you have to change from an elocker to an 8.4. The 8.4 isn't really larger it just has a larger pinion (never busted it), larger bearings and a truss that darn near eliminates the deflection (the change in backlash) under load.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. Feb 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    Tacozilla

Tacozilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD 4X4 MGM
    When you say they dont offer a off road package for a LB DC. What is the off road package. If I opt for 4X4. it come with some goodies. What would be the off road package. All I know when building a truck on the web site its a DC LB 4x4 trd sports package with a list of stuff that comes within these.

8. Feb 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    Tacozilla

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD 4X4 MGM
    well I looked at the stuff again you can get the trd off road package in a DB standard bed. I have to read what are the difference's and compare to see what is it I would use. I definitly need a DB. would like LB but will see.

9. Feb 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    Tacozilla

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD 4X4 MGM
    Well the difference between the two packages.

TRD Off road Package----- TRD Sport Package:
    Off road suspension------- Sport tuned suspension (both bilstein)
    16" rims-------------------- 17" rims
    active trac control---------- None
    hill start assist-------------- None
    downhill assist-------------- None
    skid plates------------------ None
    tow hooks------------------- None
    Homelink-------------------- None
    Chrome grill----------------- None
    None------------------------- Hood scoop
    None------------------------- colored match grill and mirrows w/ turn sig

The TRD Off Road package is avail in the standard bed and not the long bed. You can get the TRD sport in either long or standard.
    its always something. would love the TRD off road in the long bed.

10. Feb 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Exactly why I knew what package you were looking at. I'd rather have it and not need it-OR package. Really depends on if you need full seats or a true truck bed. Depends on what you end up doing with your truck. Make sure you test drive both types and feel the difference in suspensions. They are not the same. Research here on TW and various sites. The argument has been made for both time and time again...

now this is over

:threadjacked:

and we can

:stayontopic:

Who's goin or been to DV lately?

11. Feb 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Next weekend potential trip:
    Eureka Dunes
    Dedeckera Canyon/Steel Pass
    Saline

Anyone Interested?

12. Feb 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    Was in Death Valley this past weekend. We stopped at Ubehebe crater, the Race Track then down Lippencotts trail to Saline Valley Rd and out South Pass and over to Cerro Gordo. All trails in good shape. They had a tractor on South Pass and had cleaned it up real good. About 2+ miles from the top of Lippencotts is a rough spot but nothing too bad, a spotter helps.

13. Feb 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    This is good. I wonder if they did this due to the influx to Saline for Presidents Day Weekend.
    When was the last time you took South Pass prior to this trip? I was on it about a month ago and it was the worst I've ever seen it over the past few years of visiting the area.

14. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I miss DV pretty badly. A little part of my soul lives there...so I'm going to cheat and go back in time.

I used to travel in a 2-door 1999 Acura Integra. It had a top-of-the-line-high-performance-racing suspension, very low clearance, very aerodynamic made for some great gas mileage and streamlined travel to remote trail-heads and destinations. It was efficient, fast and light, everything that my truck is not, haha. Some days I regret trading it, and wish I kept it along with the truck. Anyways, I took it off-road a few times, but nothing serious.

By viewing the pictures below you are witnessing five years into the past.

Pictured here is my old baby at Wildrose, Death Valley February, 2008. I camped there for two nights during this trip. I'd explore the park during the day and return in the night. The back seats folded completely flat and I slept in the back for a nice hard-sided camper. It was awesome!

DSC02532_01c488fc6f7a79201b0aa92d6e842f4d6de190d7.jpg

Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes
    DSC02689_74a198253e3ec5dd002ebc4fec6e8ad940fc4918.jpg

Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes
    DSC02649_73d3116745890ae652d07002c71b34f6ef29f2c9.jpg

I think I'm hardwired to appreciate the open road, there is just something about it that is attractive to me, and I can't quite explain it to those that don't understand.
    DSC02684_8e23e7426472ceee5a685db713ea1433a06d91e7.jpg

Thimble Peak part of the Grapevine Mountains. Can't wait to hike it.
    DSC02692_2d6d0f506ed40b565a824a8b7322c7d40a9c0cc2.jpg

Dumb luck, I was there during a wildflower bloom
    DSC02713_8e55ae1fb03738b89814542274c4012d4dcce48a.jpg

Scotty's Castle
    DSC02629_39f977d50f38f495a28815a2348fc32060830ca3.jpg

Harmony Borax Works historical site
    DSC02726_34bd8a8e86d912396706a8f33efd909e61f55128.jpg

Telescope Peak from Batwater Basin
    DSC02737_2c600db25bc449286b7f26d1788f741558b97434.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    taco abbo likes this.
  15. Mar 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Here you got me thinking you did a recent trip. I don't miss my "car" at all.

16. Mar 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    This past weekend my friend Bill and I took in the sights of Death Valley.

Friday we crossed in over South Pass and traveled Saline Valley road to the Warm Springs. Probably about 20 vehicles there. Several guys running around nude by the spring tubs, only one woman in the tub that I saw. Checked out the airplane runway as bill is a pilot and he was told several aviation buffs had been there to level it and make sure it was usable. Interesting runway, you land running uphill against the mtn. There are three tie down spots. We then continued on the Saline Valley Rd and went out North Pass and in to Big Pine for the night.

Saturday we left Big Pine going east by the North Pass turn off and took the Death Valley Rd around to Ubehebe Crater. There we walked around it. By calculations of a circle it would be 1.57 miles since it's .5 miles in diameter per the Park Service but since it's not exactly round and the walk is up and down it may be closer to two miles. Anyway it took us 1.5 hours. From the crater we went to Stovepipe Wells and into Cottonwood Canyon and back to the Springs. Interesting that the Cottonwood trees had small leaves as I remember growing up ours had large leaves, but maybe this is a different verity. We then left and went to Beatty for the night.

Sunday we checked out Chloride City and on to Furnace Creek. There we went thru the new visitors center. Pretty impressive. We continued on down hwy 178 to the bottom end of the West Side Rd and up to Warm Springs Rd. At Warm Springs there was a large motor home and a fifth wheeler parked near the entrance. On we went to Butte Valley. The geologist cabin was occupied so we stopped at the next one. There was a sign posted on the door by the Park Service warning of the hanta virus you get from mice droppings. We went over Mengel's Pass and down to Barkers Ranch (Manson's hideout) where we met two Frenchmen. One was a hairdresser and the other owns a tour company in LA where he takes French Tourist on tours to the southwest, including Death Valley. He said if the temp is 118 degrees or more he skips DV. He said the tourist usually get mad about that. Going out Goler Wash was easy as the mining company had dumped golf ball size rocks in the last mile or so and rolled it out.

There was only two places that were rough one before Mengel's Pass and one after but Bill spotted me making it easier. It was a fun trip.

17. Mar 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    Tacozilla

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD 4X4 MGM

Sounds like a great time !!

18. Mar 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    TMW, Thanks for the trip report! Glad you had a good time!

19. Apr 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    This last fall, after a 15 degree night at the trailhead to Telescope peak, we drove down to the valley and tried Warm Springs but the road over was too rough (rangers said it was a 9 hour trip with winches) so we explored some side roads and camped at an old talc mine. Cant wait to explore more this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SlizzyMcSlizFace and taco abbo like this.
  20. Apr 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    What mine are you camped at in the last pic? Almost looks like Warm Springs. Do you have a cot in the back? If so what kind? Looks like it fits well.

Products Discussed in

To Top