Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Death Valley Off-Road Adventures

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #381
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for posting the great pics.

I think I see some Tibetan Prayer Flags in Geologists cabin opposite the window. Are they still there? I hung those across the main window years ago and in any subsequent trip report they were gone. Figured someone took them. I hope they are still there.

You saw the ringtail at Briggs. LUCKY! I know one lives at Stone and my friend saw one at Briggs in basically the same spot you caught it. They are so neat. I know the info is out there but keeping the crap out of those special places is important. Not talking only of rodent droppings either. Human crap is just that-CRAP.

Sadly yes trails are closed all the time on the premise of protecting lands. We are losing so many that were accessible not so long ago. I can't believe there are shuttles to Reds Meadow. I camped there years ago and hiked from there to Rainbow Falls, up to Devils Postpile, and back to Reds.

Please PM those of us in the know if you have questions about certain locations and how to get there if you have not already found it on the web via searching. There are treasures to be protected out there. Also watch Sierra Club and the like and their actions. Fight to keep places open.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:02 PM   #382
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
License2Ill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAV8R View Post
Thank you for posting the great pics.

I think I see some Tibetan Prayer Flags in Geologists cabin opposite the window. Are they still there? I hung those across the main window years ago and in any subsequent trip report they were gone. Figured someone took them. I hope they are still there.

You saw the ringtail at Briggs. LUCKY! I know one lives at Stone and my friend saw one at Briggs in basically the same spot you caught it. They are so neat. I know the info is out there but keeping the crap out of those special places is important. Not talking only of rodent droppings either. Human crap is just that-CRAP.

Sadly yes trails are closed all the time on the premise of protecting lands. We are losing so many that were accessible not so long ago. I can't believe there are shuttles to Reds Meadow. I camped there years ago and hiked from there to Rainbow Falls, up to Devils Postpile, and back to Reds.

Please PM those of us in the know if you have questions about certain locations and how to get there if you have not already found it on the web via searching. There are treasures to be protected out there. Also watch Sierra Club and the like and their actions. Fight to keep places open.
No, thank you. Doubt I'd have explored that area if not from some info from you and the D.E.R.P. crew.
Unfornately, no Tibetan flags.

Along the course, I traveled a-many-a-mile to see alot of things; a ring tail cat and a mountain sheep. Still need to see a Mt. Sheep and I'm set.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #385
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 02-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #386
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
I think the ringtail is far more rare than the bighorn. I headed up to Briggs this past Thanksgiving. A small group was down at Stone after we arrived and they were treated to a nighttime visit from the ringtail. On our way out I did see my first bighorn. What an epic gift nature brought.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #387
Damaged Goods
CVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
CVYota's Tacoma Gallery
Backpacked to Panamint city last week, got to see a Bighorn on the way down to Ballerrat.

Just got baack from Saline Valley today, went down the north pass and camped at willow creek, just past where the road had washed out. made our way to the salt lake and saw the old salt tramway that went over the mountain 100 years ago, cant imagine how hard it was to build that:

Headed back up to the south pass and stopped off at the lower warm springs for a dip (yes this guy was nude, waited for him to leave)

Made it down the steps to the Dunes and camped there last night. amazing place!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #388
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
What was Panamint City like. Any pictures.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #390
Damaged Goods
CVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CVYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post
What was Panamint City like. Any pictures.
The trail up to Panamint is a difficult one, 7 miles and 3k elevation gain up a river bed, lots of bushwacking waterfall climbing and loose rocks. but the ghost town is one of the best. The last time the road washed out everything was just abandoned.

this is a pic from last year:

this is from this year, the trail up:

the cabin we stayed in:

there are more pics in this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-woods-17.html
Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #391
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I wondered what it look like today.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #392
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't there a trail leading to Panamint from the opposite direction ?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #393
Damaged Goods

CVYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Isn't there a trail leading to Panamint from the opposite direction ?
There are a few ways in, none of them easy. We take the high adventure scouts this way because of the challenge of the trail, and it is fun.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #394
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
I think I need to do a backpacking trip up to Panamint City.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #395
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful out there. Not only for yourself but also for the wildlife. Don't be a dick like the people in this story.

http://www.wildlifecrossing.net/cali...roadkill/41368

Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #396
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Mounted Police:
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAV8R View Post
Be careful out there. Not only for yourself but also for the wildlife. Don't be a dick like the people in this story.

http://www.wildlifecrossing.net/cali...roadkill/41368

How do you get that from the brief account? Looks like it could've been a typical deer strike in the dark. Sucks for the animal, but I see no proof of dickery.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #397
surfnmoto2 has a spectacular aura aboutsurfnmoto2 has a spectacular aura aboutsurfnmoto2 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Lee
surfnmoto2's Tacoma Gallery
Last weeks camping in Cottonwood Canyon, Death Valley. Perfect weather and not another camper for miles!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 AM   #399
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
How do you get that from the brief account? Looks like it could've been a typical deer strike in the dark. Sucks for the animal, but I see no proof of dickery.
I've been on the Titus Canyon road several times, and that section is a one-lane, narrow, winding, gravel road with large rocks just off the shoulder everywhere. Its not a desert race course. Any responsible driver shouldn't be going over 25 mph. Those animals are very quick and wary. The observation was made at 7:30pm and the estimated time of the incident was around 5:30pm, so it wasn't dark.

Thats enough circumstantial evidence for 'dickery' for me.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #400
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Mounted Police:
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
I've been on the Titus Canyon road several times, and that section is a one-lane, narrow, winding, gravel road with large rocks just off the shoulder everywhere. Its not a desert race course. Any responsible driver shouldn't be going over 25 mph. Those animals are very quick and wary. The observation was made at 7:30pm and the estimated time of the incident was around 5:30pm, so it wasn't dark.

Thats enough circumstantial evidence for 'dickery' for me.
Ok, sounds a little more dickish. I don't like seeing animals needlessly suffer from mortal injuries, either. It could've been a bad combination of poor visibility and it jumping right in front of the vehicle, but then I'd wonder why they didn't put it down immediately after impact, or called someone that would.

Products Discussed in this Thread