Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

4x4 is over rated

Old 06-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #141
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOCKADE View Post
I think we should only reply to intelligent post... If there was any actual thought behind that one it isn't very apparent.
I agree.... this thread has its ups and downs, but i don't see anybody poking shit on anybody, just people trying to prove their points....
Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #142
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphMan View Post
Of course, a lot of it does play in to where you live. Up here, prerunners are as useful as t!ts on a bull.
X2 ... 2wd trucks are as rare as hen's teeth around here. They just flat don't work in winter!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #143
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea i guess every truck has its use.... thats why they are designed that way... to fit everyones needs.... of course i would feel more comfortable in going through mud and sand on a 4wd but i can count how many times i've gone through that...
Old 06-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #144
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
yea i guess every truck has its use.... thats why they are designed that way... to fit everyones needs.... of course i would feel more comfortable in going through mud and sand on a 4wd but i can count how many times i've gone through that...
Doesn't help that you didn't really have the option of getting 4wd.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #145
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
But you further my point also...

I'm not saying that a stock two wheel drive can do what a modified 4x4 can do. I think modified 4x4's can do things that 4x2s could dream of doing.
But the only 4x4 I can think of that comes from the factory that you can take straight to a rugged, hardcore trail, is an Hummer H1, and even then you'll probably want a little bit of a lift depending on the trail.

The thread says "4x4's are overrated" and I am saying that statement is true because most people do overrate their 4x4's. They buy them from the factory expecting them to handle the hardcore stuff and handle like a sports car on the ice.
I know I never personally said anything about hard core trails. I won't be taking them on myself UNTIL my 4wd is more heavily modified anyway, but it has nothing to do with drive train. I want sliders, bumpers and skids to protect the same things that are on both versions.

However, the "mild" (or whatever you want to call them) trails I've been on would be hard to do with a 2wd without some help. Hell, just the 30-50ft sections of river mud I've needed to cross to get back to solid ground I wouldn't attempt with a 2wd. Front wheels bog down, rear wheels spin, and you're almost up to your knees in mud running recovery gear. Much rather put it in 4wd and hit the gas a little to get through it. Only real time I use speed since there's no trees or anything around to hit or winch from if I had a winch.

Oh, and most sports cars suck on ice. Too much power, RWD, low ground clearance, low profile tires..... Except maybe the Sti's, Evo's, or other AWD ones. My wife had an old Camaro and had to back up hills because it would fish tail so bad even with 300lbs of sand in the trunk. Just could NOT get enough traction to push the front end.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Doesn't help that you didn't really have the option of getting 4wd.
yea, you are right.... not in Toyota.... when i bought it i looked at the gmc canyon (that even was cheaper, with leather seats and stuff) and ford fx4... but i decided i could live without the 4wd and choose toyota quality and reliability over 4wd option....
Old 06-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #147
BLOCKADE will become famous soon enoughBLOCKADE will become famous soon enough
BLOCKADE's Tacoma Gallery
Tis true. I get everything I want out of my Prerunner. Even taking it off road. But I bought it for the road, and even though it does snow here occasionally (piercedtiger ) it isn't enough for me to justify a 4x4. Hardcore off roading is fun, just not in my $22,000 Prerunner. But I do totally respect the guys who bought their trucks for that purpose. And as piercedtiger said, if you know your limits (and don't believe it more capable that it is) then more power to you.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #148

Quote:
yea, you are right.... not in Toyota.... when i bought it i looked at the gmc canyon (that even was cheaper, with leather seats and stuff) and ford fx4... but i decided i could live without the 4wd and choose toyota quality and reliability over 4wd option....
just to add to this post, i can say that 98% of the 4wd trucks in the city which are lots and lots (cheyenne, ram, f-150, colorado, etc) don't even see a non paved trail....
Old 06-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #149
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by domestic>import View Post
ANYONE thinking a 4x2 will out crawl a 4x4 is a total noob

theres no transfer case/low range, u wont even make it up a steep driveway with a 4x2..

no power in front, no limited slip, no locker, no traction..

if you have a 4x2, just throw a lsd/locker in the back and call it a day!! you'll never hang with 4x4's. i think a lot of people with 4x2's know this but are afraid to admit paying $$20,000 for a pre-runner piece fo sh!t!!!!
I "hang" with 4x4's all the time with my Prerunner. As long as I have 1 rear tire with a good grip, Im going forward, and/or up. You gotta know how to drive off road. When things get rough, I have an 1960's M-37, a 2004 Jeep (sorry) Liberty turbo diesel locked front and rear, and a 2004 2500 Cummins 4x4. With the excepton of the M-37, I have gone everywhere in my Tacoma Prerunner that I have gone in my other trucks.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #150
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just to add to this post, i can say that 98% of the 4wd trucks in the city which are lots and lots (cheyenne, ram, f-150, colorado, etc) don't even see a non paved trail....
I agree! Where I live, I have been in the air more times than any of my neighbors have been off road.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #151
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But you further my point also...

I'm not saying that a stock two wheel drive can do what a modified 4x4 can do. I think modified 4x4's can do things that 4x2s could dream of doing.
But the only 4x4 I can think of that comes from the factory that you can take straight to a rugged, hardcore trail, is an Hummer H1, and even then you'll probably want a little bit of a lift depending on the trail.

The thread says "4x4's are overrated" and I am saying that statement is true because most people do overrate their 4x4's. They buy them from the factory expecting them to handle the hardcore stuff and handle like a sports car on the ice.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #152
BLOCKADE will become famous soon enoughBLOCKADE will become famous soon enough
BLOCKADE's Tacoma Gallery
That thing cannot do the hardcore stuff unmodified. My buddy just got one exactly like that one and put a hole in his gas tank the first time out... we all got a good laugh, he was pissed!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #153
Devout Atheist

Quote:
And as piercedtiger said, if you know your limits (and don't believe it more capable that it is) then more power to you.

That's the biggest thing. If you know how to handle your truck you can go places others think you can't/shouldn't. (like me surprising the shit out of my buddy by dropping off the road onto some atv trails through nothing more than a hole in the trees/grass)

The "over rated" part I can see if we're talking soccer moms and other people that do 90 in blinding snow or rain yakking on the cell drinking coffee because they "have 4wd and won't have any problems." Those jackasses give people that actually USE the 4wd option for it's intended purpose a bad name. (And honestly, I don't consider those people real drivers.... Just accidents waiting to happen so I don't count them in driver statistics. )

Can't count the number of 4wd SUV's that've flown buy me on the highway during winter and ended up on their roof further down the road.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #155
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
By the looks of it...

From your pics it looks as though you drove down a dirt road! The locker does make your truck more capable than any 4X4 that does not have a locker however follow a friend with a 4X4 and you will be trading the Prerunner in.
PS. Next time stop and throw a little more dirt on the truck! You should have to look at the roof to tell the color.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #156
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
there is nothing wrong with 4x2 trucks. and yes, they are very capable. i was impressed with Jhodge's truck during the Carolina Meet. The biggest difference i noticed between our two trucks is that during some rocky parts, hodge would come to a raised rock and instead of being able to pull over it, he had to back up and build a little momentum to clear it, where i could just crawl right over it. but other than that it was very capable. but to say a 4x2 can do everything a 4x4 can is ignorant. if you think your 4x2 can do anything try this. find a hill with a decent slope, 35% maybe. the hill can be gravel or dirt, doesnt matter as long as its not paved. drive down that hill about halfway, nose first. come to a stop. now back up the hill. you cant do it. if you say you can, you're lying. a 2x4 truck, with a light back end doesnt have the traction to back up a steep hill with loose terrain. in this situation, tires, and power and driving experience are a non issue, the only thing to get you out of that situation is 4 wheel drive. i've seen it over and over and over again. So once again, nothing wrong with 4x2's and i'm not bashing anyone's truck. but you cant do everything a 4x4 can
Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #157
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
I can only afford a PreRunner

I'm looking at picking up a 2005 PreRunner TRD with 56,000mi. here in the next couple of days. With my full time employment and full time courseload I probably won't be able to go out as much as I want, so 2WD is fine to me.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #158
hail-bop Command is on a distinguished road

hail-bop Command's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I can't believe someone brought this thread back to life!! I know how emotional all of you get with your 4x4's and 2x4's. But now it's got me thinking... The only thing that gets me with ALOT of these 4x4 owners is the EGO and mentality that 4x4 is the ONLY capable drive train. It all depends on what you want... I grew up in the Mojave desert and a 4x4 drive train there would be nothing but extra weight to burn gas, slow you down, and make your front end top heavy on going through a pack of woop's.

I took my truck wheeling a few weeks back and I was climbing all kinds of stuff and never got stuck. A jeep pulled up behind be and tried to climb the same hill in 2wheel and could not (for what ever reason) then he backed off put it in 4wheel and climbed it EASY! Then he followed me on the flat ROUGH LONG trail and couldn't keep up... I got to the end of the trail and sat and waited for like 10mins and he pulls up and says 'Is this the End" I said yeah, Then he said "well according to my navigation we still have 10 more feet to go" I guess he was trying to one up me.. Man 187 the EGO!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #160
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My head is starting to hurt reading all this stuff....

Ya'll need to take a chill pill!!

If you wanna go wheeling in a 4x2 or 4x4 - just DO IT!!

Regardless of what you're driving.....
1) Don't go wheeling alone
2) Be prepared (recovery gear, dress accordingly, water/food, cell phone or some sort of communication in case something happens)
3) Make sure your vehicle is maintained and ready for the trip

Depending on the terrain - YOU are the one to decide whether your truck (OR YOU - driver experience) can handle the terrain or obstacles. Ultimately - it is YOU whom will decide to take things easy or push them too hard. Sooner or later - YOU will learn what your truck can or can't do. After that - YOU will be the person to decide whether you continue wheeling the way things are....or whether you want to upgrade.