Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Offroading Tips and Things To Bring

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
tcboss is on a distinguished road

tcboss's Tacoma Gallery
Offroading Tips and Things To Bring

i havent been able to get my truck out much lately since i got it lifted. but i am planning do it a lot hopefully this summer and i was just curious if any of yall have any tips on what to bring when you go offroading and some tips for when you are actually on the trail going through mud
i know bring like tow chains that type of thing but what else should you bring...an extra gas tank?? lol anything helps
Old 03-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on how long you plan to be out and what you are going to be doing. Figure a good set of useful tools [common sockets that sort of thing], Hi Lift jack, shovel, maybe a gas can if you think you will be needing it. Thats all that comes to mind at the moment, im all loopy on cold meds and lack of sleep.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
The biggest and MOST IMPORTANT tip....

Never go offroad alone!! Always have another vehicle with you.....
Don't drink & drive....on or offroad.

Here's a website I whipped up years ago - tips & etiquette.
http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Gener...froadTips.html

A good map of where you're going
A cell phone (and hope you have coverage)
Tell a family member where you'll be and what time you expect to be back
Make sure your vehicle is in good working order
Full tank of gas
Tow strap
Proper spare tire and lifting device to change the tire
Dress appropriately for the weather and conditions

Where ever you're going or whatever you're doing - just be prepared. I can't stress to you (or anyone) enough of how important it is to have a secondary vehicle with you. If something happens (and ANYTHING can happen) - you'll have that other vehicle to take you to safety or for gear to assist you with whatever situation you run into. Not only that - but if you have a medical emergency....you need that secondary vehicle to drive you out and to the hospital.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Good tips Janster, maybe those of us going to the Carolina Meet need to figure out who has what to make sure we're covered, such as off road jacks and all that fun stuff.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcboss View Post
i havent been able to get my truck out much lately since i got it lifted. but i am planning do it a lot hopefully this summer and i was just curious if any of yall have any tips on what to bring when you go offroading and some tips for when you are actually on the trail going through mud
i know bring like tow chains that type of thing but what else should you bring...an extra gas tank?? lol anything helps
Bad idea. The forces exerted during an extraction are extraordinary. If a strap breaks, its just fabric, if a chain breaks, you have a hunk of metal heading your way.

The basics:
  • Tow Strap - Slow extractions
  • Yank Strap - Use to get a running start, best for mud or serious stuck
  • Shackles - So you can mount the strap to your recovery point
  • Friends - Someone to tow you
  • Basic tools - You never know when you might need them
  • Cell Phone - In case of emergency
  • First Aid Kit - Also in case of emergency
  • CB Radio - Communicating on the trail
Mud Tips:
  • Try to keep your momentum up, don't head into some slick mud when your crawling
  • Have it in 4x4 before hitting the mud, or locked, or if your a non locked PreRunner, have lots of momentum
  • Have a heavy foot - it helps
  • Once you stop moving, don't bother getting on the gas, your just digging in
  • Choose your line wisely. If your 2wd dont go for the longest line in the nastiest stuff you see. Just use your head.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
FOOD and diet Coke. Seriously though, I`ve been stuck before where just a little SHOVELing would have got me out.Already lots of excellent tips here, I`m gonna have to look at the link Janster posted.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Northern Alliance Gynecologist
TacoMon is on a distinguished road

TacoMon's Tacoma Gallery
Since I bought my truck 6 weeks ago I have added the following and will be adding more as I see the need.

Jumper cables (for the other guy)
2"x30' Stretch-n-snatch strap
receiver mounted recovery shackle
Glock e-tool (folding shovel w/saw)
2-d cell maglight w/extra batteries
leather work gloves
4 way screwdriver
robo-pliers
leatherman tool
zip-ties
duct tape
electrical tape
ratchet straps
bungee cords

chamois cloth
towel
window wipes
armor-all wipes (When it's clean, it's clean. When it's dirty, it's dirty.)

To add,
extra shackles
rechargeable spotlight
hi lift jack w/wheel lift and base (before next winter for sure)
first aid kit
Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Air compressor, so you can re-inflate your tires, often you need to drop your tires one bar when going off road, then when back on hard pack, re-inflate.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
Dirt Everyday.
timberfire04 is on a distinguished road
timberfire04's Tacoma Gallery
good list already...
some things i also take are:
2 6' long 2"x6" these are very helpful on trails where bigger trucks have dug deep ruts that you cant get through with out framing your truck.. i also nail something on the 2"x6" to help give it traction.

i also bring my toy chainsaw ( a stihl 110)
a bike pump or some form of an air compressor and a bottle of slime
a small mirror
at least a few gallons of water.. both for drinking and for whatever else u might need it for.
a few garbage bags or a small tarp in case you need to get under your truck when its muddy.
um dot3 fluid is a good idea as well as some extra oil.
all the things i've listed above are handy to bring on the trail but the most important thing you can bring is your brain... don't get in over your head. don't do things that are potentially dangerous to yourself and others..
in fire fighting we rely on having good situational awareness..
Old 03-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Air compressor, so you can re-inflate your tires, often you need to drop your tires one bar when going off road, then when back on hard pack, re-inflate.
Or a portable liquid CO2 tank.....

http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Gener.../LiquidCO2.htm
Old 05-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Did I miss anyone list a Medical kit? The possibillity of getting hurt when 4x4'ing and getting stuck is HUGE. Things break, people get in a hury and dont think things thru, thus resulting in an injury. I carry a full paramedic bag along with all the other essentials. Also, Duct tape! Bailing wire! I have repaired suspension damage with those 2 items.

Ah, Tacomon has a first aid kit.