1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual Transmission offroading and sand.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by hiddenkirby, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
    I like to take my tacoma down to the outerbanks in NC. I have a great time taking it out on the Sand. I lower the pressure to 20 psi and have at it.

sometimes when i have it in 4wd high ... i smell my clutch :( yet when i pop it into 4wd low everything seems easier... but that doesnt seem right. i thought low was for towing stuff.

i think im missing something stupid or fundamental here.

am i doing something wrong? which is better for sand? which is better for snow?

sorry for the total newb questions.

2. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Low isn't soley for towing or for towing onroad. It's for crawling up real soft/slippery hills.
    When you say "makes everything easier" what do you mean??

3. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    OBX!

I will be there in July. Our family has been vacationing there just about every summer since I was a little baby and my mom has been going since she was a kid.

We will be staying in Corolla this year so I will probably take the taco up to 4x4 territory. Do you usually go to the inlet? or Corolla and corova beach?

4. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
    meaning i move forward without any issues ... ive never gotten stuck in the tacoma (knock on wood) ... and mainly not smelling like im frying my clutch.

its just more difficult in high on a manual. is it the way i shift? or is low just a better choice and i should just stick with that?

5. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
    we stay in Avon. Favorite place to go on vacation in all the US and A.

6. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    My guess is your shifts are what is hurt you. If you don't get the smell in 4LO- stick with it- Just make sure you understand what configuration your truck is in and what that means. You should be able to get it to work in either mode tho.

The only time I used 4LO in my Dakota was to pull myself out of a stuck as I transitioned from wet packed sand to dry loose sand where someone else dug in.

7. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
    see i think that is my issue. i dont understand the configuration and what it means. maybe im just over complicating this. 4hi is for non-slippery situations like wetter more packed sand. and 4lo will be for dry deep slippery sand.

i think i got my answer. you rock btw. ty.

8. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I hope it helps...and I'm sure there will be more folks who will chime in with varied opinions about uses for 4HI and 4LO.

Some folks use 2WD for sand- There is a lot of different ways to drive...

9. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
    it does and thank you.

i think it totally depends on the sand.

10. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
    2nd gen. i assume it was something i was doing shifting.

11. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
    sadly no... usually going from stop to first. should i skip first?

12. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
    but generally my issue is going from stop to 1st. its a 2007 tacoma. no way i could have destroyed the clutch that easily already. if i ride the clutch too little i stall out. the happy medium is difficult.

13. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    My guess is riding the clutch. Once you get moving in first gear (especially in either 4hi or 4lo) take your foot all the way off of the clutch until you need to shift. If you stall you stall. I only use 4lo if I need a fair amount of torque or if I am "crawling". For sand I usually keep it in 4hi so you can maintain a higher speed with out the super high RPM's.

14. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    How long have you had the truck? When I teach people how to drive a manual I sit them in the parking lot and have them shift into 1st and keep their foot off the gas, then have them SLOWLY let off the clutch to find the sweet spot. Try that and find the happy medium spot you need.

15. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
    i bought it new in 2007. rarely ever had a problem. except for beach sand.

too bad its winter and i cant go but once or twice year.

16. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
  17. Jan 5, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    hiddenkirby

hiddenkirby [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SR5
    Baltimore
    im going in may! cant wait.

18. Jan 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    hakan

hakan Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    hakan
    SF
    Vehicle:
    2002 toyota tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road 3.4
    trail gear weld on rock sliders, leer camper, OME 883front Dacar springs in back, grey wire mod, rear diff breather mode, maglight mode, deck plate mode, camper shell defrost mode, UWS tool box,( viv air inboard air is coming soon)
    I have the same problem Driwing in sand as well. I figured Its because I have 4bangerI do not have enough torque to get me moving in deep sand. What you guys think about that.

19. Jan 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    When driving on the street in 2hi the clutch allows the truck to move easier because you have gobs of traction. with slick conditions it takes more slipping the cluch to move the truck to prevent spinning of the wheels. its normal but if you can smell it your slipping the clutch way to much. in 4hi you dont have toi worry as much about spinning the tires so be more aggressive with the clutch...

4lo is for getting the power to the ground when the gearing of 4hi is too high. has nothing to do with surface or traction as much as it has to do with speed desired or angle of terrain.

20. Jan 5, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    c-slak

c-slak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    5100's all around, 265/75/16 BFG ATKO's on MB Razor's, short shift, clutch mod, tsb springs, tsb aal
    I've had my fair share of smelly clutch when driving in the sand and/or riverbed rock crawling. Most of the time I am thinking too much about my rear wheels hopping or avoiding the rocks up ahead and I dont completely disengage the clutch as quick as I should. I'd rather burn a little clutch than blow my rear end from axle hop (seen it happen a few times). Pay a little more attention to getting your foot off of that clutch and you will be fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top