1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tread Lightly.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 4x4Runner, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner [OP] Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    So... Ask yourself, what does it mean to you?

I ask because as an avid 4x4 enthusiast I have learned a great deal of information about responsible offroad use. I have heard "Tread Lightly" before and never really paid it much attention, kinda doing what I wanted to because I could and it was fun.

Since arriving in Washington and associating myself with the then WATTORA (now www.NWToys.com) I have learned a great deal about what Tread Lightly is and the ethics behind it. I paid attention because people around me that I looked up to for education and influence spoke highly of it. I investigated and learned that Tread Lightly was a non profit organization established to promote responsible outdoor recreation. After a few years after becoming a member of WATTORA WATRD was able to secure numerous seats for Tread Lightly's Tread Trainers course. I gladly attended and learned a great deal of information also becoming one of Washington's Tread Lightly Tread Trainers (along with WATRD).

I am posting this in the hope that I can help spread their message. I am not here as a "tree hugger" or "greenie" but as someone who is tired of seeing legal off highway vehicle areas being closed down to abuse, ignorance and lack of attention by the OHV community (motorcyclist's 4x4's, hikers, mountain bikers, snowmobiler's and water sports enthusiasts).

Tread Lightly. What does it mean and stand for. Well in short...

Travel responsibly: Travel in areas open to 4WD's, drive over obstacles not around to avoid widening trails, cross streams only at designated points, when possible avoid mud (avoid wheel spin which could rut the area), scout ahead, know signs and respect barriers.

Respect others: Be considerate, leave gates and ask permission of private land owners, yield right of way to bikers, hikers and horseback riders, keep noise and dust down.

Educate yourself: Know the area by a map and know where motorized use is authorized, contact land manager for restrictions, closures or permits.

Avoid sensitive areas: Avoid meadows, lake shores and sensitive areas, stay on designated trails.

Do your part: Leave the area better than you found it and exercise appropriate behavior.

As you can see from this link that Tread Lightly in not directly geared towards the 4x4 community but Hikers, fishermen, snow sports, horseback riders, etc.

So... With that, please take a look at what Tread Lightly is and stands for. Why? Because by following the Tread Lightly ethic we help ourselves. Please take the time and complete their online awareness course to help educate yourself and help ourselves.

ricphoto, AxisCab, RSOTACO and 25 others like this.
  2. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Great & informative thread, thanks Kilted.

3. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    As a long-time mountaineer, I was quite familiar with tread lightly and "leave no trace" (ha!) before arriving in the 4x4 world. But the concepts seem largely the same.

4. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Sticky!:cool:

5. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    X1, nice post KC

6. Sep 11, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    myfirsttacoma629

myfirsttacoma629 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    This is all very true. Gettin stuck while tresspassing is a nervous thing, but i live in south alabama where there really arent designated trails for offroading that are public. so its just too easy to shoot off down an open trail that isnt gated off.

7. Dec 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    willmhobbs

willmhobbs 50Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner 4X2
    3in Lift 17 inch Pro Comp Xtreme Rims. Tires BF Goodrinch All Terrain 265/70 Undercoating Lift kit done by dealer services international
    Regardless of the lift you got...it look great

8. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I am treading lightly were ever i go but then when i am stuck i am digging in. :)

ReconGrunt likes this.
  9. Aug 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yes he is being dealt with. As a favor to the mods- If you see something that is offensive or that you report- PLEASE Don't Quote it!!

It's less garbage for us to clean up....Thanks!!

10. Aug 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
  11. Sep 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    great reminder. i got familiar during my hardcore mountian biking days.

thanks for the post.

12. Jan 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    B.Radd.KO

B.Radd.KO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blanalin
    Prince George, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC TRD Std.
    HID Fog/Hi/Low 3000W RMS Stereo TRD Quickshifter TRD Supercharger TRD Exhaust JBA Headers
    I like how the tread lightly concept ecompasses all remote activities. People are lazy, and in remote areas they beleive no-one is watching and they can get away with anything.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  13. Apr 29, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    bajajax87

bajajax87 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jackie
    riverside county, ca
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner
    total chaos long travel kit, 456 gears, bilstein 5100 shocks in rear and fox reservoirs 2.5s on the front. k & n intake, flowmaster muffler, deaver spring pack, 35" bfg allterains, front fiberglass fenders and fiberglass hood with scoop.
    I have heard of the term before however it hadnt ever been explained to me. I hate when people go on desert trips and leave trash behind or other ways of being inconsiderate and disrespectful to the land. I'm glad I joined this forum I've learned something already.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  14. Nov 4, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas VA7PTZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box 6 Speed
    2010 Tacoma, sold...
    Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but foot steps (or tire tracks in our case :cool:

15. Feb 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM
    TRD 09

TRD 09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD sport
    During last fall's hunting season I set up camp in a previously used area, it was clean, well maintained, and respect for the area was shown, a week later I left the area as clean or cleaner than I found it, all my garbage left with me, my left over fire wood was chopped and neatly stacked for the next person to find. Three weeks later I returned to the same place to find garbage, broken glass, bullit riddled beer cans and paper targets hung in trees, it was disgraceful, I didn't hunt the first day, I spent it cleaning the area, we go in with trucks, ATV's, snowshoes and what ever it takes to fill our freezer, sometimes it gets a little messy trying to get a vehicle unstuck but we do our best to keep nature natural

Uboats717049 likes this.
  16. Apr 13, 2013 at 3:10 AM
    88nitro305

88nitro305 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2012 white DCSB TRD OR
    Hey thanks! I thought it sounded kinda familiar when I started to read it. Its the same etiquette as hunting except I never termed it as Tread Lightly more along the line of "Remember you live in Vermont, everyone wants there own secluded space even if you are in a legal hunting area they're still out to get you in." So respect every little thing that wont cause issues :spy:

17. May 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    TACODOC1

TACODOC1 AmericanAdventurist.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4WD V6 SR5 TRD Offroad
    See TACODOC.com!
  18. Jun 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    Weasel09

Weasel09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    6 Speed TRD Offload & X-Runner
    Ya man keep nature natural!!!!

19. Jan 26, 2014 at 1:06 AM
    this is inspiring , im going to go do doughnuts in the dirt now

20. Feb 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP

Products Discussed in

To Top