Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Tread Lightly.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Tread Lightly.

So... Ask yourself, what does it mean to you?

I ask because as an avid 4x4 enthusiast I have learned a great deal of information about responsible offroad use. I have heard "Tread Lightly" before and never really paid it much attention, kinda doing what I wanted to because I could and it was fun.

Since arriving in Washington and associating myself with the then WATTORA (now www.NWToys.com) I have learned a great deal about what Tread Lightly is and the ethics behind it. I paid attention because people around me that I looked up to for education and influence spoke highly of it. I investigated and learned that Tread Lightly was a non profit organization established to promote responsible outdoor recreation. After a few years after becoming a member of WATTORA WATRD was able to secure numerous seats for Tread Lightly's Tread Trainers course. I gladly attended and learned a great deal of information also becoming one of Washington's Tread Lightly Tread Trainers (along with WATRD).

I am posting this in the hope that I can help spread their message. I am not here as a "tree hugger" or "greenie" but as someone who is tired of seeing legal off highway vehicle areas being closed down to abuse, ignorance and lack of attention by the OHV community (motorcyclist's 4x4's, hikers, mountain bikers, snowmobiler's and water sports enthusiasts).

Tread Lightly. What does it mean and stand for. Well in short...

Travel responsibly: Travel in areas open to 4WD's, drive over obstacles not around to avoid widening trails, cross streams only at designated points, when possible avoid mud (avoid wheel spin which could rut the area), scout ahead, know signs and respect barriers.

Respect others: Be considerate, leave gates and ask permission of private land owners, yield right of way to bikers, hikers and horseback riders, keep noise and dust down.

Educate yourself: Know the area by a map and know where motorized use is authorized, contact land manager for restrictions, closures or permits.

Avoid sensitive areas: Avoid meadows, lake shores and sensitive areas, stay on designated trails.

Do your part: Leave the area better than you found it and exercise appropriate behavior.

As you can see from this link that Tread Lightly in not directly geared towards the 4x4 community but Hikers, fishermen, snow sports, horseback riders, etc.

So... With that, please take a look at what Tread Lightly is and stands for. Why? Because by following the Tread Lightly ethic we help ourselves. Please take the time and complete their online awareness course to help educate yourself and help ourselves.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
As a long-time mountaineer, I was quite familiar with tread lightly and "leave no trace" (ha!) before arriving in the 4x4 world. But the concepts seem largely the same.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
myfirsttacoma629 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
myfirsttacoma629's Tacoma Gallery
This is all very true. Gettin stuck while tresspassing is a nervous thing, but i live in south alabama where there really arent designated trails for offroading that are public. so its just too easy to shoot off down an open trail that isnt gated off.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
50Tacoma
willmhobbs is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
willmhobbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
As a long-time mountaineer, I was quite familiar with tread lightly and "leave no trace" (ha!) before arriving in the 4x4 world. But the concepts seem largely the same.
Regardless of the lift you got...it look great
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
great reminder. i got familiar during my hardcore mountian biking days.

thanks for the post.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
B.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blanalin
B.Radd.KO's Tacoma Gallery
I like how the tread lightly concept ecompasses all remote activities. People are lazy, and in remote areas they beleive no-one is watching and they can get away with anything.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
bajajax87 is on a distinguished road
Name: jackie
bajajax87's Tacoma Gallery
cheers to that!

I have heard of the term before however it hadnt ever been explained to me. I hate when people go on desert trips and leave trash behind or other ways of being inconsiderate and disrespectful to the land. I'm glad I joined this forum I've learned something already.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
During last fall's hunting season I set up camp in a previously used area, it was clean, well maintained, and respect for the area was shown, a week later I left the area as clean or cleaner than I found it, all my garbage left with me, my left over fire wood was chopped and neatly stacked for the next person to find. Three weeks later I returned to the same place to find garbage, broken glass, bullit riddled beer cans and paper targets hung in trees, it was disgraceful, I didn't hunt the first day, I spent it cleaning the area, we go in with trucks, ATV's, snowshoes and what ever it takes to fill our freezer, sometimes it gets a little messy trying to get a vehicle unstuck but we do our best to keep nature natural
Old 04-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #16
88nitro305 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tom
88nitro305's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks! I thought it sounded kinda familiar when I started to read it. Its the same etiquette as hunting except I never termed it as Tread Lightly more along the line of "Remember you live in Vermont, everyone wants there own secluded space even if you are in a legal hunting area they're still out to get you in." So respect every little thing that wont cause issues
Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
AmericanAdventurist.com
TACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Chief Hospital Corpsman
TACODOC1's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
Weasel09 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Wes
Weasel09's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Weasel09
Ya man keep nature natural!!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 01:06 AM   #19
Banned
Capt FLuffy is on a distinguished road
Royal Canadian Mounted Police: War of 1869
Name: Kyle
Capt FLuffy's Tacoma Gallery
this is inspiring , im going to go do doughnuts in the dirt now
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #20
US Patriot
Dondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Great post. I knew the principles of tread lightly but its nice to see it clearly written for us. Thank you for the refresher!