View Poll Results: Which Winch
Superwinch Rock95 1 2.63%
Superwinch EPi9.0s 7 18.42%
Warn with syn line 30 78.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

singlefin's Tacoma Gallery
Winch Questions

So I've been looking at a few winch's. Came across a good deal on the Superwinch Rock 95. Before I saw it I was considering the Warn 9.5ti, or the EPi9.0s.

http://www.superwinch.com/Rock_95.html

So my question is an extra 30ft of line really needed? I have straps, and could get an extension. I'm saving about half off the retail price on the Rock 95 is why I'm considering it.

I like how superwinch offers syn line with a various models, so that seems to add a lot of value in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
i don't think brand matters as much as the load strength which you want to be at least 2x weight of the truck. i wouldn't do the synthetic line either but that's just me
Old 01-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was just thinking weight difference. The rock95 I can get 650.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
That thing's only got 50' of rope.... doesnt seem like enough IMO. My Warn XD9000i has 125' of cable on it and personally I dont think I'd want less than about 100' on one. I love synthetic rope though, and $650 does seem like a smokin' deal. I got my Warn lightly used for only $400 off CL with the multi-mount system setup. I'll be upgrading it to synthetic rope in the future.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I can't comment on the Superwinchs but I had a Warn H9500i on my jeep for many years and it never let me down.

You definately gotta go with synthetic rope. Cable is OLD SCHOOL.

Synthetic rope is soooooooooooooooooo much safer. Yes - it's lighter but that's not even the best quality about it.

The three main reasons why its soooooo much better...(and I might be missing more reasons)
#1) You don't need gloves to handle it
#2) If it breaks, it falls to the ground
#3) If it breaks, you can tie it together (special knot) and use it.

Whatever winch you get - buy the longest amount of rope that will fit on the winch. Having more line is better than not having enough. The more rope that's left wrapped around the drum while you're using it, the better.

Also, when buying synthetic line - make sure you get a heat shield (it's a sheath that goes around the line at the drum that protects it from heat).
And - get a rock guard. It's another sheath that goes around the line to protect it from rock rash.

Amsteel Blue is a good name in syn - that's what we had. I'm not sure what the standard size is...but 3/8" line has a 17K+ breaking strength and I think you can fit 100ft on most winches.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
never summer

Well from the reviews I've been reading I guess between Warn and Superwinch you can't go wrong. Think I'm going to pass on the Rock95 considering the small drum and '50 ft. Before I saw it on CL I had been looking at the EPi9.0s so think I'm going to hold out a bit and see if one pops up.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowham View Post
i don't think brand matters as much as the load strength which you want to be at least 2x weight of the truck. i wouldn't do the synthetic line either but that's just me
"It's just you" but why?? Jan hit all the good points for why synth line is better than cable....but you must have some reasons to go the cable route.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard that the solenoid contacts on the Warns are suseptable to burning/wear. Although I have the 'cheap bastard' Smittybilt (DOA) with synth line, I may be 'upgrading' to a Superwinch. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
I've heard that the solenoid contacts on the Warns are suseptable to burning/wear. Although I have the 'cheap bastard' Smittybilt (DOA) with synth line, I may be 'upgrading' to a Superwinch. Good luck!
Would you not recommend the Smittybilt? If not, any particular reasons?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Would you not recommend the Smittybilt? If not, any particular reasons?
I'm taking mine back this w/e - gear won't stay engaged.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
I'm taking mine back this w/e - gear won't stay engaged.
Well thats no good. I've contemplated getting the Smittybilt due to the good pirce, but I guess you get what you pay for, as with most things. My father was a warn distributer for years, so I might just have him get me the warn instead at W/D. Even at that price it is still considerably more then the Smittybilt when comparing a "like for like" model.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
never summer

FWIW...Just spoke to Superwinch. They said the Rock95 is just a smaller version of the EPi9.0s. I wonder if @ 650 for the Rock95 if it's worth getting it and using a shackle and extension from Viking.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i love my smittybuilt.. i've got the XRC10 and it has yet to let me down.. i put on 100ft of syenthetic line and have worked the crap outta it on several occasions.. worth every penny.

when i finally get the winch to go in the rear i will be buying the exact same setup again.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Look into MileMarker winches as well... They are Warn quality and much more reasonable! They're Local here in the PacNW and I was thinking of trying my contact over there for a possible Group Buy...
Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
No experience with superwinch, but I had a warn xd9000i and the solenoids went bad after about 3 years (put the truck under water for a day or so) called warn and they sent me a brand new solenoid pack and wiring diagram free and even paid for 2nd day air. They also sent me new mounting brackets for my warn trans4mer since it got bent on an off angle pull, no charge. I'd buy from them again just based on their customer service. my .02
Old 01-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
BeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BeachBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You definately gotta go with synthetic rope. Cable is OLD SCHOOL.

Synthetic rope is soooooooooooooooooo much safer. Yes - it's lighter but that's not even the best quality about it.

The three main reasons why its soooooo much better...(and I might be missing more reasons)
#1) You don't need gloves to handle it
#2) If it breaks, it falls to the ground
#3) If it breaks, you can tie it together (special knot) and use it.
the only downfall of the synthetic is the UV/snow/salt/mud exposure that slowly damages the rope... oh and price!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Ban Pending

Or just get a HiLift!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoy View Post
the only downfall of the synthetic is the UV/snow/salt/mud exposure that slowly damages the rope... oh and price!
Those items can also damage wire rope over time. All in all I've read nothing but rave review about Samson's Amsteel synthetic line. Here is an article from Bill Burke about his Amsteel he used for 6 years, 6 years of good use at that. Another earlier article about it from Bill.

Synthetic is on average 50% stronger than wire rope on average 1/6th the weight. You don't need gloves, it floats, it's safer (if it parts it doesn't go flying the other way). I'll be picking mine up from 4Wheelparts sometime this week.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #20
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
Those items can also damage wire rope over time. All in all I've read nothing but rave review about Samson's Amsteel synthetic line. Here is an article from Bill Burke about his Amsteel he used for 6 years, 6 years of good use at that. Another earlier article about it from Bill.

Synthetic is on average 50% stronger than wire rope on average 1/6th the weight. You don't need gloves, it floats, it's safer (if it parts it doesn't go flying the other way). I'll be picking mine up from 4Wheelparts sometime this week.
I wouldn't say 'don't need gloves' but you are right!

Products Discussed in this Thread