1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Im stuck need help...

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by silvertaco82, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Jan 31, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Yea looking at that last picture.. +1 hydrolock. Also if you don't have the diff breather, hell even if you do it might have been high enough to warrent changing out the diff fluid too.

2. Jan 31, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Is the truck an automatic or a manual? If it's an auto consider draining and replacing the automatic transmission fluid. The breather for the auto sits right on top of the bell housing right behind the engine and from the looks of your stuck it def looks like the trans breather is submerged.

3. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    man, you got in DEEP!! good luck bro. i would change all the lower fluids. i learned the same lesson, the hard way. lucky for me, i was in a quad. i now, will never ever cross water that i cannot check out first. wet shoes/boots are a cheap alternative.

those pics are awesome tho. again, good luck. i dont think you are hydrolocked. not if the motor turns. hydrolocking can bend hard parts..fluid is incompressible.

4. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    Well I had a marathon post typed up but the window got closed so this is the abbreviated version.

One $11,000 insurance claim and suddenly I get called out in every one of these threads. I hydrolocked, stopped the engine, water backflowed up the exhaust, then water seeped in the doors and flooded the interior. I winched myself out of the hole. Got pulled to a near by parking lot (thanks Roxspin). And didn't try to turn it over or anything until I had done the following.

1.) Pull the air filter, hell pull the hole airbox so you're looking at the throttle body. If you aspirated water it'll be obvious. I didn't sink my intake but water got over the wheel well and a throttle wide open 4.0L V6 took care of the rest.
    2.) Change the oil with whatever is on sale. Cheaper the better. It's just a system flush. Look for water in the oil. They don't mix. It will be obvious.
    3.) Pull the spark plugs. Reference the Chris4x4 How-to.
    4.) Drop the exhaust from the manifolds. Make sure water doesn't drip on your head. In your case it might be big and frozen and heavy. Exhaust pipes get REALLY heavy when all that empty space is filled with water. I did not do this. I'm not sure if it caused all my problems but all that back pressure couldn't have helped.
    5.) Attempt to hand crank the engine. You can reach the crankshaft bolt with a socket wrenched then just spin. Without the spark plugs in it should spin freely until your arm gets tired. If it's hard to turn, you have problems. The harder to turn, the greater your problems.
    6.) Put key in ignition and attempt to start engine. If water shoots out of one of the cylinders you have your answer. The engine should just spin and spin and spin like a 12 year old schwankin off but doesn't know why yet. It won't fire up because there's no spark, because you pulled the plugs on step 3.

IF THE ENGINE SEIZES FOR ANY REASON, stop. Crack open a beer. Call a tow truck. Game over. Make up a good story, saving drowning children should work, and call your insurance company. At that point you're looking at a snapped rod, bend rod, bent valve, small animal, etc. Repeatedly attempting to crank my busted engine cost me a starter. Now I owe the starting and recharging of my truck to autozone components, and that makes me sad.

IF THE ENGINE SPINS AND SPINS AND SPINS FOREVER AND EVER, crack open a beer, cry tears of joy (not into your beer) and let it dry in above freezing temperatures to get all the water out of cylinders and sitting in your oil pan. I've heard WD-40 displaces the water nicely and prevents your cylinders from rusting in the meanwhile.

• replace the air filter,
    • pull the secondary filter (because it's trashed, throw it across the garage, just for fun, or send it into the mud hole to appease the offroading gods),
    • clean the hell out of the intake and throttle body,
    • spray some electric cleaner on the MAF,
    • replace the spark plugs,
    • replace the engine oil with the good stuff (I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic and lucas oil stabilizer since my incident and my truck loves me again),
    • replace your exhaust from the manifolds back, because yours is filled with water and it hosed all the filters and baffles inside, that means new Y-pipe, new muffler, which consequently involves new bolt studs on the exhaust manifold because the heat warped them and the bolts won't screw back on and a new gaskets at all exhaust pipe junctions.
    • And if you got water in your cab pull the carpet, all of it. Easiest way is to remove the seats, 4 bolts and an electric plug, and start peeling up from the edges underneath the plastic trim, cutting away where necessary and convenient.
    IIRC the transmission is completely sealed, not even a dipstick, so the chances of aspirating into your tranny are slim to none. The front diff and and transfer case breathers are up high in the engine bay near the driver side wheel well.
    [​IMG]
    If you haven't snorkeled your rear diff breather then swap your rear diff fluid and do the diff breather mod, it's cheap and easy.

The final tally for my stuck was a broken connecting rod, which took a half-dollar sized chunk out of the engine block, which nuked my starter and led to the engine being rebuilt, the throttle body got rusty from sitting and started seizing and had to be replaced, water in the throttle body shorted the ECU and that had to be replaced. The exhaust from the manifolds back had to be replaced since silt, mud, and water destroyed the guts (thanks jhodge and roxspin). I pulled all the carpet and eventually it's getting bed liner.

My dashboard looked like christmas lights. Also I was throwing a transmission temp light, which was caused by a faulty sensor, not water in the tranny.

After the dealership rebuilt the engine and I replaced all the fluids it's been running good for 8,000 miles. The passenger side axle seal is leaking but should be a warranty fix. Keep an eye out for compromised seals and listen for bad bearings. Replace them when time and money allow.

Take your time, trying to take short cuts or rush anything will only cause a big expensive fuck-up.

AND NOW PICS!!!!111
    [​IMG]
    Note: I had already winched out almost a full truck length. When I sunk my winch was almost completely underwater. I was running winch cable in my underwear and the ruts I was in went up to mid thigh.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Sticky this for future ref. Good write dude

6. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    08TRD Sport

08TRD Sport ROOTIN AROUND

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    10 5th Gen 4Runner
    good luck with it man, I would have never tired anything like that. I wish the best

7. Jan 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    There is a breather on the top of the automatics, at least on the A750F that's in the FJ Cruiser there is. Searching for the diagram now.

8. Jan 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    :popcorn:interesting thread..

9. Jan 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    silvertaco82

silvertaco82 [OP] No way, get real

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Seat Covers, Weathertech floor mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Pro Comp 6", 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 XD addicts, 20% tint, Kenwood Dnx 5120, 2 10" Kicker Shallow mount subs
    alright well we pulled the truck out and its sitting on flat ground now. It is still down a big muddy hill and on the wrong side of creek. no chance of a tow truck down there. tried to jump start and did nothing, made no noise. So i am thinking that the starter needs to be thawed out so tomorrow im going to take up a propane heater. Checked fuses seemed to be fine. I will need to try and fix it where it sits now so any advice?

Luni my situation seems different then yours there is ice frozen to the truck and pretty much everything is frozen up. Talked to the mechanic that does all the work on our cars and trucks he said it should be the starter. I do not think i got deep enough to mess with the alternator or intake

10. Jan 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    wow :eek: u really know how to fuck up a taco :eek:

11. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    You saw the 07 I rolled right?

12. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    silver07taco

silver07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4,07 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    2013 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4, 2007 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    Have you got the truck back on land yet?

13. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    08TRD Sport

08TRD Sport ROOTIN AROUND

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    10 5th Gen 4Runner
    from your pics you could have got water damage on some stuff.

14. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    silvertaco82

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Seat Covers, Weathertech floor mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Pro Comp 6", 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 XD addicts, 20% tint, Kenwood Dnx 5120, 2 10" Kicker Shallow mount subs
    yeah i got it out of that whole than while trying to get out i got stuck again and thats when it shut off but this was not deep enough to hydrolock it

15. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    silver07taco

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Does the truck start?

16. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
  17. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i fawked my alternator in a puddle less than 6" deep

just FYI

18. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    silvertaco82

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC TRD Sport 4x4
    no it makes no noise tomorrow i am going to try and thaw out the starter with a propane heater

19. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    CorrectionCop

CorrectionCop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Off Road SR5 V6 access cab
    Locking differential,TSB 4 Leaf Spring, Bug deflector.
    Good luck. That sucks.

20. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    silver07taco

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    You could have burned up your starter.