Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Orv Ban "outer Banks"

Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
08beachtoy is on a distinguished road

08beachtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 08beachtoy
Orv Ban "outer Banks"

Does everybody know they are trying to close alot of the beaches in the outer banks of north carolina to 4 wheel drive vehicles and pedestrian traffic We all need to help Stop this from happening please go to www.savehatteras.com and check it out please help save our freedom and allow us to enjoy the beaches there !
Old 04-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Here in Rhode Island they shut down some of the beaches a few months annually to protect the nesting areas of Piping Plovers which are uncommon here. It's an interesting concept except for the fact that the things are common almost everywhere else.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #4

They want to shut them down for three solid years at minimum . Assateague Island in Maryland simply monitors the beach and restricts the nesting areas by detouring trucks around the nest it seems to work well . Everybody is happy the 4 wd guys and the birds . I hope they dont shut down hatteras beaches or I am gonna look for a new vacation spot whats gonna be the sense visiting the beaches of the outer banks if ya cant use them !
Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
BigRed is on a distinguished road

BigRed's Tacoma Gallery
Your kidding me, I get a 4X4 truck so I can go out of the beach at Hatteras and this happens Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08beachtoy View Post
Does everybody know they are trying to close alot of the beaches in the outer banks of north carolina to 4 wheel drive vehicles and pedestrian traffic We all need to help Stop this from happening please go to www.savehatteras.com and check it out please help save our freedom and allow us to enjoy the beaches there !
so does that mean i can still drive the 2wd taco on the beach when i go in june?? lol
Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
In the past, you could drive on most of the beaches in North Florida. Now, pretty much everything north of Daytona is off limits. Ya gotta park it and walk!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
so does that mean i can still drive the 2wd taco on the beach when i go in june?? lol
It's beginning of April and I'm here in Corolla.... and there's plenty of beaches to drive on. My brother-in-law is out with his Xterra as I type.
I don't think you'd have anything to worry about unless they close it within the next few months.

The weather here now is crappy....rainy, windy, & in 40's...We're making due with lots of liquor & champagne and a hot tub!! ehehehehehee...
Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #9

orv ban

I am not talking about Corrolla and Duck I am talking about Oregon Inlet , cape point and areas we love so much it'll be a shame to see em closed .This is America how can they possibly close those beaches to us it seems ridiculous to me the economy in that area isnt the greatest as it is and I think this is gonna hurt it even more ! I am going to be very dissappointed if the "tree huggers" get their way and so will some of the locals due to job loss because of less tourism !! which equals lack of money for the area ! I think they should open season on those dam piping plovers LOL
Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
no_werries will become famous soon enough

no_werries's Tacoma Gallery
would be more cost effective to maintain the beaches to help suppourt tourism in the area then it would to stop it all together and lose all that tourism!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
In the past, you could drive on most of the beaches in North Florida. Now, pretty much everything north of Daytona is off limits. Ya gotta park it and walk!
Where do you go? Only place I know that was recently closed to 4x4 traffic is Anastasia State Park.

I still drive on the beach over by Crecent and Vilano all the time. Lots of good fishin on Vilano beach.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hui View Post
Where do you go? Only place I know that was recently closed to 4x4 traffic is Anastasia State Park.

I still drive on the beach over by Crecent and Vilano all the time. Lots of good fishin on Vilano beach.
Anastasia and all the beaches in Duval County. Anastasia was the best, alot of partying went on down there by the dunes and the jetties.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:40 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08beachtoy View Post
I am not talking about Corrolla and Duck I am talking about Oregon Inlet , cape point and areas we love so much it'll be a shame to see em closed .This is America how can they possibly close those beaches to us it seems ridiculous to me the economy in that area isnt the greatest as it is and I think this is gonna hurt it even more ! I am going to be very dissappointed if the "tree huggers" get their way and so will some of the locals due to job loss because of less tourism !! which equals lack of money for the area ! I think they should open season on those dam piping plovers LOL
Surely I hate seeing areas closed - but I totally and completely understand why they do it.

If its only in certain areas - it sounds more like it could be a beach errosion issue and perhaps there's something about the terrain that has become unsafe to drive on. Or costs too much to maintain.

You gotta remember - these areas are open 'to the public'. And that means - you're getting every John & Jane Doe driving on the beach without any respect for the beaches, the land, the dunes, etc. People doing stupid stuff, tearing up the sand, getting stuck, littering, etc. And that costs $$ to maintain and clean the beaches that these people are destroying. It's a damn shame....but true. I've seen enough irresponsibility with people on the trails, I can't imagine how people can be in a touristy environment.

Afterall, if they didn't close the beaches to vehicles....someday, those same beaches won't even be nice to enjoy for a walk.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
Anastasia and all the beaches in Duval County. Anastasia was the best, alot of partying went on down there by the dunes and the jetties.
Anastasia was the best. I believe my first camping trip ever was there many, many years ago.

I live in St. Johns county so I'm close enough to all the drive on beaches. I will flip if they tried to close them.