Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

BAJA! The Mission Santa Maria 4X4 Trail

Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #21
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Love the picture
Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #22
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
If your out here til night maybe we could meet up. I will be in Pomona til 630.
Check my So Cal thread, I dont wanna thread jack this too bad
Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #23
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can a prerunner with a locker aired down make it?
You forgot to mention that you ride side saddle to accomodate your balls!!!

Quote:
If your out here til night maybe we could meet up. I will be in Pomona til 630.
Flash your lights when you get to the 405/5 junction and I'll pull in behind you!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #24
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
But on a serious note. If it wasn't for the F'd up nature of cops and robbers in that country, I would do that trip in a heart beat. Oh yeah things are "different now" - they're different alright! Hopefully that country will get their shit together someday (looks like their 'self-cleaning oven' maybe a bit cleaner these days) and get back to the 'good ol days'... until then I think there's enough fun here stateside!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #26
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can a prerunner with a locker aired down make it?

We've seen worse. I think we'd be fine.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #28
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
2003 Trip to the mission!

Wow, great that so many responded... Glad you guys like it!

Here are some photos from the 2003 trip with my '01 extra cab Tacoma and and older Toyota and a Jeep:

The Widowmaker!

Made it!

Sunrise at the mission!

Looking down to the arroyo, beyond the mission... soon the road drops down there.

Climbing back up the steep grade that is past the mission, where the road drops down to the arroyo (where the oasis is):

A red diamondback rattlesnake came right into our camp...

Climbing back up the Widowmaker!

Good times! To see more of this 2003 trip to Baja, go to http://vivabaja.com/403 (Mision Sta. Maria was only part of our adventure)!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #29
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
A red diamondback rattlesnake came right into our camp...

Ok, nevermind, i'll pass on this trip
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #31
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
Ok, nevermind, i'll pass on this trip
Don't be a girly-man... Look how close my 12 year old daughter was...

Later on that same trip... 100 miles south we found another one crossing the road... My daugter thought she was Steve Irwin!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #32
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
did those snakes live?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #33
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
Jon and Derek...I am down to hit up this Trail...with you guys locked it think we should be good. We'll get a few other 4x4s just incase.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #35

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
did those snakes live?
We had three rattlesnake encounters that one trip (most unusual)... Photos of all three at http://vivabaja.com/403 .

The snake at Santa Maria mission was terminated by the man (ex-cop) driving the older Toyota. The reason being it had no fear of us and we had 3 dogs in our camp... we were many hours drive from medical assistance, and it was just far too dangerous. The other two we happened upon as we were driving... and yes, they are left alone after we photographed them... The one my daughter was holding on a stick was very much alive... I yelled at her, naturally!

The only time I have seen rattlesnakes in Baja has been in April... so be careful then!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #36

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am down tri. Let's make a weekend out of it.
You really need to have 4 days for this to be enjoyable, 3 would be bare minimum.

1) 300 mile drive from Tijuana (depending when you get to Tijuana) to Rancho Santa Ynez, is one day, camp at Santa Ynez RV park area. Or, drive the 224 miles to El Rosario, stay at Baja Cactus Motel (very nice/ cheap) then do the 76 miles to Santa Ynez the next morning.

2) 3 hour off road trip to the mission from Santa Ynez. Explore, set up camp, enjoy the remoteness.

3) A day in the mission valley... see the oasis, petroglyphs, El Camino Real. If desired, drive out to Santa Ynez or El Rosario in the afternoon.

4) Return home (either the entire drive from the mission, if you get an early start or home form Santa Ynez or El Rosario). Current philosphy is to not be driving in the dark... at least through border cities. El Rosario to Tijuana is 5 hours and Santa Ynez to Tijuana is 6.5 hours... Some of us prefer to cross north at Tecate.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #37
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome pics. Looks like that women in the range is enjoying herself. My grandma came to visit me in Iceland, and she was always rooting for me to go through rivers and climb hills.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #38

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks... yah, that is Roy's lady, Blanche... She's a good sport!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #39
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
That's exactly why I Love the Baja desert! I haven't been MANY places, so this isn't saying much. HAHA... But I don't think there is any other place like the Baja desert.

Can't wait to go again! March 12, Baja 250!!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #40

David K's Tacoma Gallery
The SAN FELIPE 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
That's exactly why I Love the Baja desert! I haven't been MANY places, so this isn't saying much. HAHA... But I don't think there is any other place like the Baja desert.

Can't wait to go again! March 12, Baja 250!!
It's a fun race... love the Matomi Wash!