Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

BAJA! The Mission Santa Maria 4X4 Trail

Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #41
Lichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lichen's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link to your website. It is fantastic. Love the old photos and thanks for the Howard Gulick photos. It's sort of sad to see how places used to look and how they look now (but I still love the place).
Old 02-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #42
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichen View Post
Thanks for the link to your website. It is fantastic. Love the old photos and thanks for the Howard Gulick photos. It's sort of sad to see how places used to look and how they look now (but I still love the place).
Glad you enjoyed the site! A sub page there 'My Baja Notebook' has more links including a link to Harry Crosby's photos from 1967 to recent... It is at the same web host site as Howard Gulick's photos. http://community-2.webtv.net/drdrip/notes is the Notebook web page... my blog, if you will.

I am happy to assist others to find some adventure in Baja... just ask! The #1 Baja forum, with tons of travel info, photos, history and more is at http://forums.bajanomad.com Several forums, like here... and a feature called 'Today's Posts' to see the most recent activity from all the Baja Nomad forums in one place (like New Posts here).

I am reading TW daily, so ask your Baja questions here, too!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #43
Lichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lichen's Tacoma Gallery
It's going to take a while going through all of the links, but that's great. Best Baja source that I've ever seen. I may have questions/comments to bug you with.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #46
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichen View Post
It's going to take a while going through all of the links, but that's great. Best Baja source that I've ever seen. I may have questions/comments to bug you with.

Not bugging me at all... it will be my pleasure!

There is another source for tons of Baja reports, photos, chit chat... just like TW. It is Baja Nomad Forums at http://forums.bajanomad.com I have been posting there since 2002.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #48

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
But on a serious note. If it wasn't for the F'd up nature of cops and robbers in that country, I would do that trip in a heart beat. Oh yeah things are "different now" - they're different alright! Hopefully that country will get their shit together someday (looks like their 'self-cleaning oven' maybe a bit cleaner these days) and get back to the 'good ol days'... until then I think there's enough fun here stateside!
They are working on it... In all my Baja travels, over 40 years worth, I never had a bad incident with cops or banditos or narco trafficers... Bad news sells and good news is boring, so if you live your life by what the news reports then you will not get to enjoy as much as you could!

http://vivabaja.com
Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #49
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
They are working on it... In all my Baja travels, over 40 years worth, I never had a bad incident with cops or banditos or narco trafficers... Bad news sells and good news is boring, so if you live your life by what the news reports then you will not get to enjoy as much as you could!

I'm warming up! I just get pissed off at the silly money stops. I just hope they don't interpret the truck as money. The last time I drove there was a big mistake driving a friends Mercedes and we got pulled over for money - we did nothing other than have a nice car.

I would like to go there again under the right circumstances. Next month a little wheeling in Costa Rica so I may be even warmer by then.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #50

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Lot's of Baja discussion on BajaNomad.com forums... You will hear it all.. and see it all... lot's of great photos posted there. It is like TW, but for Baja people... There are Toyota vs. Ford and other talks there, too!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #51

David K's Tacoma Gallery
If business is good and I have some extra dinero, I plan on taking my 2010 to Mision Santa Maria over Memorial Day weekend, end of May... that's the same time as the trip in the photos above in 2007.

Maybe see some Bighorns again?

These guys walked right past us while we were sitting around after breakfast... they didn't make a sound, but one of us (my lady) was facing the cliff and saw them...

Baja is GREAT!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #52
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
If business is good and I have some extra dinero, I plan on taking my 2010 to Mision Santa Maria over Memorial Day weekend, end of May... that's the same time as the trip in the photos above in 2007.

Maybe see some Bighorns again?

These guys walked right past us while we were sitting around after breakfast... they didn't make a sound, but one of us (my lady) was facing the cliff and saw them...

Baja is GREAT!
Okay, I've warmed up. Next time the OP wants some company going down there, let me know. I will roll. Thanks for working on me!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #53
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome pictures looks like a awesome time!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #54

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful, you might catch 'Baja Fever'!

See the other Baja trip photos I have posted on TW Travel forum, so far:

July 2009 to Loreto: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...el-7-09-a.html

Sept. 2008 south of San Felipe: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...un-tacoma.html

New Years 2009 Lost Mission Search: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...t-mission.html

Sept. 2005 across Baja via Mike's Sky Rancho: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...ho-9-05-a.html (my web site is down this morning so those photos won't show now, check back later.)
Old 04-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #55
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm on the same page as you. For the most part all we hear is the bad stuff. That's why I pretty much gave up on watching the news.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #56
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
David, I really enjoy your pics and Baja reports. May Have to talk you into letting me tag along on time. I have heard of many of these out of the way places. really looks like fun!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #57

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
David, I really enjoy your pics and Baja reports. May Have to talk you into letting me tag along on time. I have heard of many of these out of the way places. really looks like fun!
We are pretty much free spirits... However, it is wise to travel with another rig when doing the Mision Santa Maria trail! There are several YouTubes taken in there because it is so extreme!

We hope to go back next month so the new Tacoma with A-TRAC can have a go at THE WIDOWMAKER!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #58
Ban Pending

Quote:
We are pretty much free spirits... However, it is wise to travel with another rig when doing the Mision Santa Maria trail! There are several YouTubes taken in there because it is so extreme!

We hope to go back next month so the new Tacoma with A-TRAC can have a go at THE WIDOWMAKER!
Okay, I started out not wanting to do this one but you've convinced me!

Currently I am in Costa Rica - Got a 4x4 but guys I'm traveling with not interested in exploring... I'm working on them:

Hired a guide:

Old 04-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #59
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Bucket list