Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

synthetic winch line question

Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
j83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: joshua
j83soldier's Tacoma Gallery
synthetic winch line question

I know winch ropes are subseptable to uv damage. Anyone cover them? I was looking at like a garden hose to cover the first 20 ft of line but it wont roll tight enough to fit on the spool any ideas
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you're that worried about it....get a winch cover. A winch cover will cover the winch & the line from the sun & rain/weather.

We had synthetic line on our jeep for 5 years. The top wrap faded a bit but nothing worth worrying about at all. Never failed and was still good to use.

If you're getting synthetic rope, you should already have 'rock guard' for it - which is a sheath that goes over the line. You could probably buy a longer piece of that....to cover the top wraps of the line if you wanted to.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
I think they have a 20' piece of webbing that goes over the first 20' to prevent the damage from sunlight
Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
could you use this line insted of chains to pull someone out when stuck ?
i carry 50 ft of chain in my tool box. it is heavy as heck. i didn't know if i could get like 50 to 80 ft and keep it in a amo box in the tool box.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i carry 50 ft of chain in my tool box. it is heavy as heck. i didn't know if i could get like 50 to 80 ft and keep it in a amo box in the tool box.
you sir need a tow strap.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
yea, i was just wondering if that would work b/c it would take up alot
less space. i don't wheel, but i work on family farms all the time.
everytime i get stuck it is in a field, where a winch would not help.
i guess i just will get some sliders
Old 06-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-TRAIN View Post
Lose the chain!!! Recovering with a chain can be deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
He needs a "snatch" strap or recovery strap. Tow straps do not have the stretch that snatch straps do.

Read here please.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
Lose the chain!!! Recovering with a chain can be deadly

He needs a "snatch" strap or recovery strap. Tow straps do not have the stretch that snatch straps do.

Read here please.
x2. Go ARB or viking for a snatch strap.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #10

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
okay, will do. i never had any doubt in the chains i was using, they were huge
logging chains. when we get stuck, we don't bottem it out, gave up quick so
it is easier to get out. i just want something lighter, and taking up less space.
i never had to do any snatching, just a slow pull.

i have only been stuck real bad once. was carrying a deerstand in my dad's
gmc 2500, and it just sunk in a field. i was finally able to get it out with a
tractor. i never borrowed his truck again for work on the farm. the bad thing
about those big rigs is when you get one stuck, they are tough to get out b/c
they are so heavy.