1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wash = ford fail. Any tips? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 06RedComa, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mar 9, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    06RedComa

06RedComa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DC Sport
    Kings, Camburg 1.25" UCAs, Dakar leafs, TRD exhaust, Grillcraft grille, All-Pro APEX Bumper, Kenwood DNX6960, Avid Sliders, SnugTop Rebel, 285/75/16 Hankook Dynapro atm
    Thats crazy SC4333, nice job getting it out, nothing wrong afterwards. I dont think I ever want to be able to swim with my truck though lol

2. Mar 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Thankfully it escaped without and harm. I had forged many crossing with it before, but never quite that deep. It would have made it through without a problem, except for the fact that the bottom just fell out from under me at one point. I ended up driving that truck for another 60k miles after the incident and never had a single issue with it. The whole time I owned that truck, I only had to change the oil, and replace a serpentine belt once.

3. Mar 9, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    That's great feedback. I've got a trip coming up in two weeks that ends with a 2-4 foot deep water crossing. I'm actually not sure how that height relates to the intake, I'll have to check. With my old Cherokee, I just measured off the headlights - it was a great indicator.

Might have to the diff breather mod, then, prior to leaving.

4. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I've played around in water a bit in vehicles... It's risky; I don't do it much anymore. The two best ways to protect yourself are to walk the exact route first, all the way across, and have a recovery plan (winches, multiple vehicles, etc.)

Here's a story to kind of highlight some lessons learned:

Fiance and I were out offroading in a wash in her Jeep Wrangler (on 33'' BFG KM A/T's). There's a river running through that was about a foot and half deep at it's deepest place and about fifteen to twenty feet across. We crossed it multiple times with zero problems. We then found ourself on a dead end trail that ended in the river. We decided to drive down the river a few hundred feet to meet up with another trail.

Driving down the river we got stuck almost immediately. Just hit a soft spot in the sand - the sand to our left and right was fine but we were in quicksand.

We recognized that we had to act quickly, as the current was causing the jeep to sink by the minute. I grabbed her winch line and ran out to the nearest large bush. Wrapped a tow strap around the base a whole bunch of times and hooked the cable up. She grabbed the controller and started the winch up.

Neither one of us noticed that there wasn't more than a single turn left on the winch's drum - the cable snapped right off. Immediately following that the Jeep stalled and wouldn't restart.

She started digging and piling rocks to create a barrier between the jeep and the current.

I ran for the road while calling a friend to pick me up so I could get my truck, which was parked 5 minutes down the road. Got my truck, got back there, and couldn't get a strap on her jeep from an angle that would work. Didn't have my winch back then, either...

Ended up needing a tow truck with a 200 foot cable to get it out. They pulled it from the edge of the wash.

Pictures....

jeepstuck2_6abd48aa4386bf19ecb69e9533177a45050907e2.jpg

Tow truck dragging it over the final berm out of the wash. I call this her "I didn't do it" picture

P1010460_d03643c34330ca0cc22f67abe582410f5ce8233e.jpg

5. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    The best method is to go wheeling with that one crazy guy and have him do everything first.

Years ago my buddy lost his Yota truck in a small river crossing in a section that was only about 3' deep. The truck became boyant, floated and tipped over. It happened real quick, he got out, but his motor took a big drink and that was the end of that.

I went through a seemingly harmless puddle in my CJ years ago, before I knew it I was over the fenders and all the shit on my floors was floating out. Pulled that one off unscathed but it was so unexpected I crapped adrenaline for like an hour after.

Products Discussed in

To Top