LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Cheap Mod: Recovery Strap Holder

Old 03-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap Mod: Recovery Strap Holder

Creative juices were flowing yesterday, and I managed to spot an awesome find at Home Depot. If you do enough wheeling where the strap would permanently be in your truck, I probably wouldn't recommend this - it's better to keep the strap out of the elements. Since I'm just doing stuff on weekends though, this is perfect.

I used to carry my recovery strap in the back seat and zip tied it to keep it wound up, but that was really annoying. I have this big bed to carry stuff, and I really don't want to keep using up zip ties. However, I didn't have a way to really secure it until I found that black Husky strap. Home Depot sells them in three different sizes, all come with the belt and hook. The one I bought is the middle size, probably a bit too big. Cost was under $7.

My tiedowns have these perfect holes in them to stick 1/4" bolts through, so I added a few washers and a eye bolt. I'm thinking I'll put another eye bolt in the garage wall, so when I don't need the strap I can unclip from the truck and clip to the garage wall.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job. I like it.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
nobody wants to hear about your juices flowing

i just throw the strap in the bed
Old 03-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
LostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LostRebel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
You might want to think about using some velcro strapping to keep that thing rolled up tight. I use a lots of velcro here and there on my gear.

that and those toggle ball bungie cord thingies
I'm a big fan. I use them everywhere and I'm always finding new uses. (If only my wife would be a good sport...) Don't you hate it when the loop slips and the ball comes flying back and whacks you on the knuckles? Maybe it's just me.

Nice idea OP!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
You might want to think about using some velcro strapping to keep that thing rolled up tight.
I'm going to try strapping it up better later today. I assembled that in the Home Depot parking lot in the dark so I wasn't being too specific
I saw the velcro strapping too, but it was nearly the same cost for a pack of small strips I would have to bind together to make along enough strap. This seemed a bit cheaper and a toyed with the awesome dial a bit more

I thought about bungie cords, but never thought about the toggle ball ones. I've been pissed off on more than one occasion when I wish the head of the bungie cord could fit through the factory tiedown. I keep acting out the scene from Zoolander where the guys are slapping the computer.

Quote:
i just throw the strap in the bed
Some clubs won't allow loose gear in the bed, even if it's a strap