Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Off Road Philosophy

View Poll Results: What's your off roading philosophy?
When in doubt throttle out 44 28.76%
Go as slow as possible but as fast as necesary 109 71.24%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Off Road Philosophy

I was wathching a corny tv show but they kept mentioning two phrases. "When in doubt, throttle out." and "Go as slow as possible but as fast as necessary." So I was just curious what your philosophy or approach to off roading is.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Im sure it depends on what your doing, crawing, in mud, snow, ect.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
Im sure it depends on what your doing, crawing, in mud, snow, ect.
This can be the case but it really could apply to almost any type of offroading.

I guess another way to word it would be would you go balls to the wall or if it's a more difficult obstacle take it easy and possible winch it up sometimes for the sake of vehicle preservation.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: FC1(SW)
Name: Beau
2kool4school's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
This can be the case but it really could apply to almost any type of offroading.

I guess another way to word it would be would you go balls to the wall or if it's a more difficult obstacle take it easy and possible winch it up sometimes for the sake of vehicle preservation.
if your going to "winch for vechile preservation" then just bypass, winch when your stuck low and slow for me
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
usually when im around a lot of rocks like crawling etc... i just punch it and drift around the corners n stuff.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
I was wathching a corny tv show but they kept mentioning two phrases. "When in doubt, throttle out." and "Go as slow as possible but as fast as necessary." So I was just curious what your philosophy or approach to off roading is.

It's not a corny show. They have a bunch of good stuff on it. 4wheel Adventures right?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
In the infantry we have a saying that pretty much sums this up....

"Situation dictates"

So as to say the situation will always dictate what the solution will be and you will be hard pressed to choose a course of action (COA) without knowing the situation.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It's not a corny show. They have a bunch of good stuff on it. 4wheel Adventures right?
Rides to Adventure is what it's called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
In the infantry we have a saying that pretty much sums this up....

"Situation dictates"

So as to say the situation will always dictate what the solution will be and you will be hard pressed to choose a course of action (COA) without knowing the situation.
so you say neither?

What I mean by philosophy is in general what you do not necessarily a rule that you are obligated to follow.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I only "Throttle out" on dirtbikes becuase it's the only way to keep the bike up when shat gets hairy... good way to F your truck IMO, except in the case of mud, throttling out in mud could definitely save you.

I'm with gjbonner on"situation dictates". And i'd switch the wording around a bit: Slow as necessary to not F up my truck, fast as possible within reason for the fun factor.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
I only "Throttle out" on dirtbikes becuase it's the only way to keep the bike up when shat gets hairy... good way to F your truck IMO, except in the case of mud, throttling out in mud could definitely save you.

I'm with gjbonner on"situation dictates". And i'd switch the wording around a bit: Slow as necessary to not F up my truck, fast as possible within reason for the fun factor.
Haha. I like that one.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Desert - WFO
Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I should have never watched that show Jersey Shore: everytime someone says 'situation' I think of that D-bag guido on the show. FML.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
"Pin it to win it" yep, I get through most, but it is also how I f'ed my alignment.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
I did a lot of my initial 4 wheeling in a Subaru Forester in Australia. It was the turbocharged model so it did not have low range. You may all have a laugh, but you would be surprised where it took that thing and it sure looked like it by the time I was done with. They guy who bought it had a laugh that I had devalued my car that much so fast, but he got a good deal and I had to sell as I was leaving the country.

But to get to the point: there was no low range so WOT in 1st was the order of the day in many hairy situations. When it had 1600km on it, I had it in the Snowy River National Park on a remote mountain track. I had already past a downhill section that I knew was impassible for me in the return direction, so I had only one way to go. I came to a long uphil gravel climb that had a lot of large water bars on it and on my first attempt I stalled when the revs dropped too low. 3rd attempt I almost made it, but couldn't stop, so I was skiing backwards all the way back down to where I started.

On the final successful attempt, I put the back wheels on top of the bottom water bar, revved to redline, flicked off the clutch and the car was spitting gravel everwhere. I kept it fully pinned and was catching air off the water bars on the way up and when I reach the last one the revs dropped to 1000 just as the nose edged over the crest; I was safe.

The funniest part is that shortly after I ran into a pathfinder coming the other way. He was concerned that the road ahead may be a little gnarly for him, as he said it was pretty bad where he had come from. I was scared for what lay ahead, but assured him that he should continue, because my suby made it and he had a pathfinder so he should be laughing. As I made my way out on the track he had already traveled and described as gnarly I was greeted with a casual cruise compared to what I had experienced so far. I can imagine the horror of what he was about to face after he passed me haha.

When I got the end of the track, there was a sign facing the other way. It warned of the seriousness of the offroad conditions and that all users should carry recovery gear, an axe and a winch. Oh and water for a few days. Either that or a Suby, and you'll be fine.

So, to get back to the original point of the story; I like the throttle wide open, but don't expect good resale on your vehicle.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I should have never watched that show Jersey Shore: everytime someone says 'situation' I think of that D-bag guido on the show. FML.
Just had to ruin it for me. i will probably think about that guido every time some one says this from now on....AAAhhhhhhhhh
Old 03-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #17
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
When in doubt, I whip it out. This is just for all the girls I take camping
Old 03-27-2010, 02:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
Just had to ruin it for me. i will probably think about that guido every time some one says this from now on....AAAhhhhhhhhh
Welcome to my hell
Old 03-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #19
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Easy power and nice slow methodical work gets you out.

Great example on why not to mash the throttle: A Jeeper group I went out with had a younger guy who knew enuf to be dangerous. With his locked rear and 4x4 front he drove into an obstacle. Got a bit hung up and instead of trying to move tires and take it slow- he slammed into the skinny pedal. Tore the shit outta his upper and lower ball joints and the end result was his left front tire was hanging off the Jeep by the brake line and he had to get pulled out of the trail with a tree branch lashed to his rig as a ski.

I've heard that "When in doubt throttle out" thing before too- I've also heard "If something is going wrong- Gas it- It'll fix the problem or end the suspense"
Old 03-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #20
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
as fast as necessary