Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

BORREGO DESERT 3-27-10: Mud Caves, Diablo Drop Off, Devil's Slide

Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
BORREGO DESERT 3-27-10: Mud Caves, Diablo Drop Off, Devil's Slide

Okay, we couldn't wait any longer... time to get the 2010 Tacoma dirty and put A-TRAC to work, again!

The Anza Borrego Desert State Park and the Ocotillo Wells Off Road Park are a great get-away, 2 hours from our home...

Saw one other new DC Tacoma... and a lot of Jeeps! After the Diablo Drop Off (and more difficult Broken Shaft Gulch), I emerged with not a scratch... The guys in the raised Jeeps were amazed... Oh, I had to explain A-TRAC, too! LOL

When we can't get to Baja and need a 1 or 2 day 'desert fix', the Borrego desert fits the bill!

Both the Anza Borrego Desert State Park and the Ocotillo Wells State Off Road Vehicle Park are next door to each other and both have the 'fun and flowers' we were seeking!

We traveled south on S-2 from Scissors Crossing... first stop was between Shelter Valley and Agua Caliente:

We left the pavement at Canebrake and headed east into the desert in Arroyo Vallecito. The 'famous' Hollywood and Vine street sign was messed with... sadly.

Here is a photo I took 5 years ago:

Hollywood & Vine... As a gag, soldiers stationed in the desert placed the famous street sign out here some 50 years ago... the tradition is maintained by locals.

We turned up Arroyo Tapiado to see the mud caves...

Be sure to bring a flash light!

No light inside the big room cave...

Next we drove to the Diablo Dropoff... a 'one way' drop way down to Fish Creek (Split Mountain)... popular run with 4WD clubs... We parked and let one group head down, so we could watch...

There are two drop offs, and another group was parked on the ledge between the two...

We spotted a mushroom (?)

Here goes the group of Jeeps and Broncos:

A WWII MB

A 1967 CJ-5

This new Wrangler was full of girls, who liked to screem...

A 1947 CJ-2A, but with a single piece windshield (that fools us Jeep history buffs into thinking it is a CJ-3A!

We dropped down to the mid level parking and watched some more four wheelenrs enjoying a beautiful day in the desert! What a great thing to get people outdoors and into the desert, a place that before 4WD and buggies was ignored as desolate and dangerous!

The second half of the Diablo Drop Off, Sandstone Canyon and more in the next part...
Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
The Diablo Drop Off:

My turn for the second (steeper) drop off...

Tougher than the drop off was getting through 'Broken Shaft Gulch'... Baja Angel had to help spot my tire placement... and we got the new truck through without a mark!

Next we reach Fish Creek, and turn up to see Sandstone Canyon and Olla Wash...

The Mud Palisades at the end of Olla Wash.

We drove over to Devil's Slide to play on the sand dune before heading home...

I made some runs on the dune face, and almost topped it... This was at full street air pressure.

TRAC works great in sand... no more digging in at full pressure.
On the way home, a country tavern has a sense of humor during these terrible economic times!:

Old 03-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yah, the desert is great... thank God it is still partly open to the public!

The guys in the lifted Jeeps were quite surprised that I came down the Diablo Drop Off and through 'Broken Shaft Gulch' in my stock truck, without any marks, dents, damage!

I could only say, "Yah... it's a TOYOTA THING... I am trying to create the unexpected acceleration!" LOL
Old 03-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Jahwn is on a distinguished road

Jahwn's Tacoma Gallery
That's good times right there. Thanks for sharing!
I'll be out camping at Agua Caliente in 2 weeks, doing some wheeling and caving at the mud caves. Can't wait!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
great pics! looks like a fun time for sure!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
wmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nice
wmb67's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting the great photos. That's a beautiful spot.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #11

David K's Tacoma Gallery
You all are welcome! I am wondering if this is the correct forum for the desert pics... or is the Southern California one better? Both? LOL!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
wingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shedwingshootin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jonathan
wingshootin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
Makes me wish i lived out there
x2
Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #13
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
great pics.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #14

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #15

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I think I will go back to the Diablo Drop Off... and instead of continuing on through Broken Shaft Gulch, I will turn around and drive back UP the Diablo Drop Off!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
awesome, awesome pics man!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #17

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks amigo! If you like those... see my Baja trip photos I posted here on TW, in the Travel forum:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...el-7-09-a.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...4x4-trail.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...un-tacoma.html

Much more on my web site: http://vivabaja.com
Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #18

David K's Tacoma Gallery
There is much more to see in Borrego... will go back soon!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
Tacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacovendor's Tacoma Gallery
DK just got an email with pics of that spot in the gulch right at the sign after the earthquake and it's impassable. Sandstone canyon is also blocked off. The drop off is a great run.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
man you take some cool wheeling trips