Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Overlanding: SUV vs. Pickup

Old 03-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
Overlanding: SUV vs. Pickup

For long, extended trips off road, which is a better choice?

Since I'm turning in my Tacoma tomorrow, I've got to get another vehicle. SUV (FJ, likely) or another Tacoma.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Well it all depends. Do you have a family? If so, how many? Do you haul a lot? A lot of things come in to play. Also, why are you turning in your truck if you dont mind me asking?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, all of the variables makes this question hard to answer. No family, yet, but likely soon. Tend to haul lots of crap, yes, but my wife also has a truck.

My truck is going back to Toyota under a Lemon Law claim. Six repair attempts on a disfunctional clutch pedal.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
FJ!
Old 03-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
4 Runner?
Agreed!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't seen anyone build up any of the recent 4Runners. If the OP doesn't mind used, I would highly suggest an FJ80
Old 03-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
I haven't seen anyone build up any of the recent 4Runners. If the OP doesn't mind used, I would highly suggest an FJ80
To add, With factory front a rear lockers.

I love those 80 series land cruisers.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
and get a great off road trailer with that SUV!

i would have gotten an SUV, except i need a pickup for hunting expeditions. didnt want to haul a small trailer for that in really rough stuff.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plannerman99 View Post
For long, extended trips off road, which is a better choice?

Since I'm turning in my Tacoma tomorrow, I've got to get another vehicle. SUV (FJ, likely) or another Tacoma.
did you test drive the fj yet????i did and wasnt pleased with it at all.look on fjcruiserforums.com and see what they complain about. i say 4runner if you can afford one. i cant
Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
did you test drive the fj yet????i did and wasnt pleased with it at all.look on fjcruiserforums.com and see what they complain about. i say 4runner if you can afford one. i cant
For the sake of this thread, I think it's good to say you are referring to the FJC as opposed to a different FJ.

In what ways were you not pleased?
In regard to offroad capability, I run with the NWFJCC offroad club, and they push their cruisers through some pretty hairy stuff. I would have no problem recommending the vehicle for offroad use. If you have any doubts, I have the pictures to prove otherwise.
In terms of comfort and lengthy travel, I wouldn't recommend it so much. The rear can be hard to get in and out of, and it could be tight on space.

I haven't heard or seen any built up late-gen 4Runners. I'm guessing it's because of the high initial sticker price.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #14
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
2010 Trail Edition 4Runner or another Taco. Depends on usage. Both have great potential.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
LCs 80 series and above rigged weigh about 4 tons, underpowered for the weight and will sink to the frame in a heart beat. if your set on I4WS get a 4runner.

If you are set on a 80 get an early model one the late model ones are built for the LuxSUV loving soccer moms.

the upside is they are very comfortable and allow you to lock up all your junk inside plus you might get factory locking diffs and t cases too. but you can get some of that that in a older 4 runner which also have a shorter wheel base.

the FJCs have a problem with the flex frame which causes the body to buldge then crack at the fenderwells after a while the front clip just about falls off. Plus the manuals have the RA60 tranny which has the same problems it does in the tacos. it also has a huge blind spot.
I didn't know about the flexy frame problem. That sucks. I like them because they are solid axle in front and rear and some come with locking diffs. I saw and old road test and it said 0-60 time was like 14+ seconds.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Not to turn you away from the wonderful TW but I think these guys have a lot more knowledge and experience with what you are after.

www.expeditionportal.com
This is an excellant resource, by the way! Thanks!

So I recently read an article in Off Road magazine (I think) while waiting for my wife to shop. Unfortunately, I did not purchase the mag (and I wish I had now), but there was an interesting interview with Toyota at the back. One of the questions was similar to my original. The Toyota rep took a very lame way out and said that all of their trucks and SUVs are great for overlanding/expedition. The authors called lame and answered for them, saying the Tacoma rules because it is very capable, has great cargo capacity (volume and weight), and can provide adequate sleeping area/shelter.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, FJC is a horrible choice for an expedition vehicle, the first thing I'd think of is where do you plan to sleep? they are too small to be comfortable. sure you can get a roof top tent, but why add the extra weight up high and the cost?

If I were looking for an expedition vehicle, I'd get a 2002 4runner, they are a nice looking rig, with plenty of room to sleep, have seats for the family, and have the 3.4L V6, Which is a very strong motor, you'd then also have the money to do a moderate lift, add some nice gear such as sliders and a hi-lift, and if the 3.4 isn't enough, you can supercharge it quite easily.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #18

Why the SUV over the pickup? You can sleep in a Tacoma just as easily
Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
yea you sure can, I have a nice platform in mine right now, and it's great! but It would be really cool if I could get into the back from the cab, and it also has much more seating for kids and friends.

That is if my main purpose was to build an expo rig, but for me, I definitely like having the use of the bed of the truck.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #20
rhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: helo electrician
rhys's Tacoma Gallery
there is a new tundra, overland built kinda, in the second to last 4WDTO mag. i know its HUGE but what do you guys thin about using that. you would have lots of space for everything and lots of power. the fuel economy on it is about as good with the 5.7 as the heavy fjs isnt it?