Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

around the world in.......a year???

Old 03-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
rhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: helo electrician
rhys's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb around the world in.......a year???

its my dream to drive around the world. but it will take ALOT of building, training, planning, and saving. does anyone have experience in this area? what important gear the have, how much money to have saved, which important languages to basically speak, etc. this wouldnt be anytime soon, at least for me. i wanna see who else shares this interest.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
rhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhys's Tacoma Gallery
i was thinking the best way to go about it would be to go up through canada to alaska in the winter time so the bering straight is frozen. or you could do it in the summer and take a ferry. anyone that knows about that area please pipe in. it sounds crazy to me but maybe an alaskan could say if its possible or not. then going through russia, china, and wherever the team would like to see/visit. we could ferry to and from australia if the team agrees to. then make our way to europe, and to africa either ferried from spain to morocco, or drive to egypt from israel. from southern africa we could ship the vehicles to argentina or chile. it would be a waste of time and money but to say that we drove on all 6/7 continents, touch antarctica before heading up through south america to the US.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #3

rhys's Tacoma Gallery
noboby iterested?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
icefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant future

Name: Fridfinnur
icefox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys View Post
noboby iterested?
I would start with this page http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/
Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #5

rhys's Tacoma Gallery
thanks man. its a useful site. maybe i can find a site more specific to 4 wheelers, and toyotas at that. too bad nobody here really seems to care much for the idea.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
I love the idea! I hope some day I can be able to accomplish something like this, but more of an on foot ordeal. Just takes a very long time to plan and more money that I think I will ever have to spare I wish you the best of luck my friend!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #7

rhys's Tacoma Gallery
on foot!! wow you are hardcore. but that would be the cheapest way to do it. the link icefox posted goes to an adventure bike site, and they have great info that you could apply to any way youd want to do it. i came across expeditionswest.com a few years back, they have some good info but not too much. theres a very good article on tires and another on vehicle selection/build. horizonsunlimited.com has a grip of helpful articles but they are either non-vehicle specific, or bike specific. thats very helpful, but now i just need to find some good 4x4 specific knowledge.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
It is not just motorcycles. Try this link scroll down until you hit 4 wheel travel.
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

http://www.advrider.com/ also has a lot of travel info but it is all motorcycle specific. May find some information of use there also.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #9

rhys's Tacoma Gallery
thanks man, i just found it. also kuduexpeditions.com has a "global challenge" expedition next year. its on bike though and it costs about 24,000 euros if you have your own bike. thats less than $35,000 USD. so a 4 wheel trip could cost umm....maybe 3 times as much per vehicle (i didnt calculate that). thats assuming you camp the whole way. but if i drove around the globe then i wouldnt do it in 22 weeks like they are. id take a year or so and try to touch all 6/7 continents and whatever like i said in the first post. so id probably need around $200,000 to be safe. plus my girlfriend and son....however much extra they might need. our son is 2 so we would probably have to wait till hes 10ish maybe. but that would give me enough time to build my truck and save funds. expeditionswest.com is currently doing a north/south america trip unless they finished and havent updated their site yet, but they would be a good team to get on for a world tour.