Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Hand Held GPS

Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Hand Held GPS

I'm looking into getting a hand held GPS that can plot points and is able to download points. I was wondering what everyone is using and get some suggestions. So far at stores I'm only seen the e-trex. How is this thing for the people the own them?

Thanks for the help

Amaes
Old 04-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
I'm looking into getting a hand held GPS that can plot points and is able to download points. I was wondering what everyone is using and get some suggestions. So far at stores I'm only seen the e-trex. How is this thing for the people the own them?

Thanks for the help

Amaes
Garmin 60csx is by far one of the best handheld units. Does everything and can be loaded with street maps as well.

I have mine in a RAM mount in my truck.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using an Etrex Vista HCX. It does everything the avg person needs just great. Add a larger memory card and keep all kinds of data in there.

Also look into GPX files. There are a few sites online where people have gps'd jeep trails, mtn. bike trails, etc. Last time I was in Idaho I downloaded the location of every hotspring in the state to my unit for free. It's basically just a universal format for gps files and will work with any decent gps unit.

I wedge mine between the windsheild and dashboard.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
Garmin all the way, the E-trex Vista is compact and loaded with features adn the 76x (or 76sx) is just plain easy to use. I've used em in the sandbox and never had an issue.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I have an eTrex Legend with some topo maps downloaded on it... I have had it for 6-7 years... still works great.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
I was shopping around for awhile, decided to hold off on a purchase right now. More important things to buy first. go to http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...-handheld.html to see what everyone had to say about my questions.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Mud Junkie
TaComatoseSR5 is a jewel in the roughTaComatoseSR5 is a jewel in the roughTaComatoseSR5 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Stephen
TaComatoseSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a magellen triton 300 havent used it yet. Actually I just bought it because it was so cheap ($35). I know it will do topographical maps but I dont think it will do streets.