Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Where do I start??

Old 04-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
tacoseller is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
tacoseller's Tacoma Gallery
Question Where do I start??

Hey guys, just bought me a 05 Tacoma 4x4 4cylinder 5speed. Where do I start modifying? Tires, wheels, suspension etc. Give me some suggestions. Thnks
Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
What is your needs/purpose?

I'm assuming since you posted this in the Off-Roading & Trails section, that you are asking in regards to what mods will benefit off-roading?

Depending on what tires you have on currently, that would be the first thing I would do, assuming my previous statement is accurate.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Tires. And do some reseach on 'airing down'. That's all you need.

Wheels won't help at all. Suspension upgrades will come as you offroad more, see what you like/dislike and what you need to improve.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
When you come out to San Luis Pass with us in a couple weeks, check out some of the other trucks. You'll get plenty of ideas then.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Also, IMHO, the best way to build up a truck is to replace stuff with aftermarket as the stock stuff breaks. For example. I've got a complete POS bumper on my truck. It's stock, but cardboard. Or at least, it as good as. I would love to upgrade it, but odds are, I will wait until the trails rip it off, or something else happens to it.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Forget wheels, They don't serve a purpose for off road use. (my opinion). Start with larger tires, Billy 5100's or a lift. That's what and dose great.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
JESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
JESSMAN's Tacoma Gallery
you do need a tow strap, a/t tires and a Glock!!!