Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Do snorkels decrease throttle response?

Old 04-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
Do snorkels decrease throttle response?

I was wondering if they have any adverse affects on the engines like poor throttle response or other things. Does anybody know how they act on the 3.4L's?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'd say yes they do because you have a long ass pipe to suck air though.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

That's what I figured too, But then I also thought; would it be kinda like a CAI because it's breathing the air from outside the engine compartment... So wouldn't the throttle response be better?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It is about the best CAI you can get. I havent noticed any decreased throttle response on the trucks I have driven that had them...
Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
just cause the piping is so long there still is air in the tubing so its not like it has to travel all that way before you suck any in...at least thats how i see it
Old 04-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
yea i dont see why there would be, there will always be air in the snorkel tube so its not like you will have to suck air all the way in from the outside everytime you touch the gas.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
just cause the piping is so long there still is air in the tubing so its not like it has to travel all that way before you suck any in...at least thats how i see it
The engine still has to suck it since the air is not pressurized. I'm sure it will feel about the same though but I'd rather lose a few horses than hydrolock my engine.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The engine still has to suck it since the air is not pressurized. I'm sure it will feel about the same though but I'd rather lose a few horses than hydrolock my engine.
Agreed. One of these days, I hope I can dyno one....
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Agreed. One of these days, I hope I can dyno one....
but that still won't give you completely accurate info at highway speeds because some air would be rammed down into it. Don't you think?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #10

So would you guy's advise getting one then?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
if you dont want to hydrolock your engine and do alot of driving in high water, id get it
Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
Well do you get into some deep water? I know I haven't in this truck and IDK if I will.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
I think the more important question would be do you need one?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
if you use it then go for it, but if you get high enough to get water in your intake then your gonna have alot of other problems that just hydrolocking your engine, the floor boards will probably take water, diff's will take water, and it will be alot more trouble than i think its worth. you always have to worry about stuff laying in the bottom of where ever your driving, big holes and such that will sink your truck. but on that note they look cool as hell and are alot cheaper than rebuilding the engine.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
but that still won't give you completely accurate info at highway speeds because some air would be rammed down into it. Don't you think?
True.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
A snorkel will not make you be able to cross rivers, there are MANY things that you need to do in parallel to make your rig be able to traverse deep water, and if you dont do them all, a snorkel is essentially just for looks....fact is, a gasoline engine is not ideal to begin with. You need to move your electronics (ECU up higher), diff breathers, actuator breathers, trans breathers, seal engine electronics, etc. There seems to be a common misconception that if you throw a snorkel on, you can drive underwater, and that is NOT true. In reality, a good bow wave can get you through VERY deep water, and you would be better off doing mods like all the breathers before a snorkel, as a bow wave will clear water from your airbox, but not your rear diff and trans diff.

In realitly snorkels are more commonly used for dust conditions (this is what they were mainly designed for...australia has a LOT more dust than water crossings) THey allow your engine to sucks air from up high while large dust particles fall down.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #17
www.saveadane.org
Anathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anathollo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowrs View Post

In realitly snorkels are more commonly used for dust conditions (this is what they were mainly designed for...australia has a LOT more dust than water crossings) THey allow your engine to sucks air from up high while large dust particles fall down.
Yup, this is the main benefit from a snorkel, other than the fact that they look awesome.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #18

They are still used for fording water. Ive crossed lots of water in which the vehicle was completely submerged (not the Tacoma). Yes, Water can hurt things. After I run around in deep water, I drain and fill all fluids, and check connections. Not recomended you do it often, as water can destroy expensive things, like your alt., and get inside and mess up the interior, not to mention all the electronics inside like the AC, Dash, etc.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
Shut it Mr. know it all!
I thought you were being nice??
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
Who me?
puto.