1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I use this stuff?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Bextreme, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Apr 17, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    Bextreme

Bextreme [OP] Active Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    I just purchased a 2010 2wd TRD Off Road and got buried in the sand within the first 15 hours trying to see what it could do(I may be trading for 4x4 but not sure). Besides the fact that most people in this area are 4x4 guys and will slam the PreRunner, I need to know in what situations I would use the trac control, lsd, and lockers or any combination of the three. I tow a small boat (1500lbs) short distances to nice ramps but may eventually find a steep slippery ramp; ocasionally drive and park in Fl beach sand to go fishing; drive on decent trails in Fla to get to dive spots and rougher hilly trails in GA and AL to get to climbing areas; and may eventually head back up north to NY and get into some snow. I was told that the truck I have would work in 98% of those situations if I have good tires(currently have BFG Rugged trail, which I think may be crap and may replace them with BFG AT's) and know how to drive it. So, how do I drive it?

2. Apr 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    Did you air down your tires?

3. Apr 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    I have a prerunner also. I found that decent tires, airing down (as suggested above), and experience can get you though most situations. Also get yourself a hi-lift setup for winching yourself out. But tires are a huge part of it.

4. Apr 17, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

That's a good question, because what each system does and when to use it is described in there!

For 2WD OR package though, it basically breaks down to this:

Stuck? Whack the VSC button and turn on the Auto-LSD. Try again.

Still stuck? Whack the locker button and unleash the big gun in the back. Try again.

Still stuck? Call a friend or rig your winch.

5. Apr 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Mud just sucks on all acounts unless you are experienced, have mud terrain tires, and use your differential lock. Ditch those rugged fails!

6. Apr 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
  7. Apr 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    Bextreme

Bextreme [OP] Active Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    Thanks for the info...I aired down the tires to 10psi after I dug the hole. I used all combinations I could recall the sales guy telling me about...probably in the wrong order. What should I use if i head into snow? I mean besides my wifes hippie hauling outback...I had BFG AT's on my wrangler and they were awesome (I couldn't spin those if I had to) I think the Rugged trails are just tougher looking road tires. I guess stopping in the deep sand was another mistake. What about on a slippery boat ramp?

8. Apr 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.

Every surface has its own characteristic and the best method for keeping trackion isn't universal. For sand you want a very low tire pressure like 10-12 psi and keep the diff locked. In mud you don't want to air down quite as much as sand because you want the tires to reach the harder surface underneath the mud. I wouldn't touch mud period unless I had mud terrain tires atleast 33" tall. You will sink down a bit which is why stock 31" tires are no bueno. The only time I ever came close to losing my brand new truck was when I went out in the mud after a rain. Just not a good idea if you can avoid it.

Boat ramps?? Keep the diff locked and feather the throttle. Air down a little if you need to in order to widen the foot print.

Products Discussed in

To Top