Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

How do I use this stuff?

Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
Bextreme is on a distinguished road
Bextreme's Tacoma Gallery
How do I use this stuff?

I just purchased a 2010 2wd TRD Off Road and got buried in the sand within the first 15 hours trying to see what it could do(I may be trading for 4x4 but not sure). Besides the fact that most people in this area are 4x4 guys and will slam the PreRunner, I need to know in what situations I would use the trac control, lsd, and lockers or any combination of the three. I tow a small boat (1500lbs) short distances to nice ramps but may eventually find a steep slippery ramp; ocasionally drive and park in Fl beach sand to go fishing; drive on decent trails in Fla to get to dive spots and rougher hilly trails in GA and AL to get to climbing areas; and may eventually head back up north to NY and get into some snow. I was told that the truck I have would work in 98% of those situations if I have good tires(currently have BFG Rugged trail, which I think may be crap and may replace them with BFG AT's) and know how to drive it. So, how do I drive it?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
I have a prerunner also. I found that decent tires, airing down (as suggested above), and experience can get you though most situations. Also get yourself a hi-lift setup for winching yourself out. But tires are a huge part of it.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
Did you read your owner's manual?

That's a good question, because what each system does and when to use it is described in there!

For 2WD OR package though, it basically breaks down to this:

Stuck? Whack the VSC button and turn on the Auto-LSD. Try again.

Still stuck? Whack the locker button and unleash the big gun in the back. Try again.

Still stuck? Call a friend or rig your winch.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bextreme View Post
I just purchased a 2010 2wd TRD Off Road and got buried in the sand within the first 15 hours trying to see what it could do(I may be trading for 4x4 but not sure). Besides the fact that most people in this area are 4x4 guys and will slam the PreRunner, I need to know in what situations I would use the trac control, lsd, and lockers or any combination of the three. I tow a small boat (1500lbs) short distances to nice ramps but may eventually find a steep slippery ramp; ocasionally drive and park in Fl beach sand to go fishing; drive on decent trails in Fla to get to dive spots and rougher hilly trails in GA and AL to get to climbing areas; and may eventually head back up north to NY and get into some snow. I was told that the truck I have would work in 98% of those situations if I have good tires(currently have BFG Rugged trail, which I think may be crap and may replace them with BFG AT's) and know how to drive it. So, how do I drive it?
Mud just sucks on all acounts unless you are experienced, have mud terrain tires, and use your differential lock. Ditch those rugged fails!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Bextreme is on a distinguished road
Bextreme's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info...I aired down the tires to 10psi after I dug the hole. I used all combinations I could recall the sales guy telling me about...probably in the wrong order. What should I use if i head into snow? I mean besides my wifes hippie hauling outback...I had BFG AT's on my wrangler and they were awesome (I couldn't spin those if I had to) I think the Rugged trails are just tougher looking road tires. I guess stopping in the deep sand was another mistake. What about on a slippery boat ramp?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bextreme View Post
Thanks for the info...I aired down the tires to 10psi after I dug the hole. I used all combinations I could recall the sales guy telling me about...probably in the wrong order. What should I use if i head into snow? I mean besides my wifes hippie hauling outback...I had BFG AT's on my wrangler and they were awesome (I couldn't spin those if I had to) I think the Rugged trails are just tougher looking road tires. I guess stopping in the deep sand was another mistake. What about on a slippery boat ramp?

Every surface has its own characteristic and the best method for keeping trackion isn't universal. For sand you want a very low tire pressure like 10-12 psi and keep the diff locked. In mud you don't want to air down quite as much as sand because you want the tires to reach the harder surface underneath the mud. I wouldn't touch mud period unless I had mud terrain tires atleast 33" tall. You will sink down a bit which is why stock 31" tires are no bueno. The only time I ever came close to losing my brand new truck was when I went out in the mud after a rain. Just not a good idea if you can avoid it.

Boat ramps?? Keep the diff locked and feather the throttle. Air down a little if you need to in order to widen the foot print.