1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Careful Who You Wheel With!!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Mr.Fahrenheit, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Apr 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM
    Mr.Fahrenheit

Mr.Fahrenheit [OP] Dennis = sinneD

Member:
    American Canyon, California
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4L 5spd TRD
    K&N CAI, HUSKY LINERS, LOW PRO TOOL BOX, GRAY WIRE MOD, OPTIMA RED TOP, GOODRIDGE STEEL BRAKE LINES, FAB TECH LIFT,
    Hey TW,

I have a little story for you guys, nothing to crazy but just felt like sharing. So i recently got my new truck and haven't had a chance to take it to knoxville(a place about 2 hr from where i live)

So one weekend a few of my friends decided to make a day trip to knoxville to go wheel, shoot and ride bikes. Me in my 01 tacoma and my other friend in his recently acquired 00 4runner 3.4l 5spd and wanted to take it out as well.

We take off and decide to meet at knoxville base camp. Before we left i gave him a walkie talkie so we could talk when we get there. I arrive first even though i left later. Wait at base camp for 30 minutes and finally i get a call over the walkie talkie, "hello?" i respond back hey ya whats up where are you man. "oh man i took a turn too fast, i need help." so my friends and i jump in the truck and go look for him.

This is what we find:

[​IMG]

It turns out he was blasting down the community road (where everyone, even riders use) and took a turn way to fast causing his left tire to go into a ditch, he over compensated trying to get out of trouble and drove his 4runner straight into an embankment. He was completely high centered.

The frame was resting on a large rock and a large bush was under the front end. Luckily i brought a chain just for sh*ts. I tried and tried with my truck and ill i was doing was wasting the tread on my tires. We tried letting some air out, jacking up his axle and cramming rock under them, no luck.

[​IMG]

Then this group of guys come by. One with a 92-95 F-250 and another with a 97-02 jeep. Young guys and a bit drunk decide that this is no problem, simple yank out. So the guy with the F-250 goes first, 4-5 attempts no luck. Next the guy with the jeep tired since he has better mud tires, again no luck. Being the strapping young lad that he is he decides to wheel his way to a better spot to pull from. He begins to wheel his way up a hill when suddenly you hear a snap! oops he ended up breaking the welds on his lower control arm....... so he is out.

SOO after about an 3 hours maybe more im super pissed because this was supposed to be a lite wheeling/mudding, dirt bike riding, bbqing, shooting, relaxing day has now gone to sh*t.

Luckily they had a friend who was on his was up the hill. He had an older Dodge cummins dulley. he gets there and tried and tried and tried to the point where he just got pissed and slammed the throttle and hammered down and launch the 4runner 3-4feet in the air(according to my friends) i was inside trying to help with reverse.

Success!! the 4runner was free. the trip was pretty much over and ruined after that. oh and also later on he ended up getting suck again over some rock because he wasn't paying attention and almost drove off a hill. Sorry but some people just shouldn't drive.:eek:

[​IMG]

2. Apr 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    rookies lol. at least it wasnt raining!

3. Apr 19, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    TacoTron

TacoTron Tacotronn

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma
    that sucks ass lol

4. Apr 19, 2010 at 11:16 PM
    SoCalBlack08

SoCalBlack08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    haha pretty interesting!

5. Apr 19, 2010 at 11:28 PM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
    Never over-correct.

6. Apr 20, 2010 at 1:23 AM
    kumaWRX

kumaWRX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Offroad PreRunner 3.4L V6
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, Toytec 1" lift shackles, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, aFE Stg. 2 intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler, 16x8 ProComp 7089 wheels, Toyo Open Country A/T tires, Pamalu bedliner, Bakflip G2 bedcover
    I better not show this thread to my friend, he's already covinced that the Cummins is God's gift to man, hahah. But seriously, he's lucky he didn't total his 4Runner or even worse hurt himself or someone else.

Off topic, I want a Cummins 5.9L 24 valve someday :)

7. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    Great Story, and lesson!

8. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    rob1

rob1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue DblCab 4X4 Long Bed TRD Sport SR5
    Tail gate mod, locking gas cap, locking spare tire, rear spring tsb,Weathertech Digital fit's
    :facepalm:..Well at least no one got hurt!!

9. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    So were all these attempts made using that chain you brought?

Bad shit happens using chains, pick up a strap that is intended for snatching

10. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Sounds like a tard to me! haha
    is he the one in the neon yellow shirt?!

11. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Put some speed into it!

Chain + snatchstrap + speed = :D

sounds like you almost had enough guys to lift the damn thing out! Nice pics thanks for sharing

12. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Well at least one guy was being safe, wearing his safety yellow shirt. lol

13. Apr 20, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    :rofl:

14. Apr 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    Mr.Fahrenheit

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4L 5spd TRD
    K&N CAI, HUSKY LINERS, LOW PRO TOOL BOX, GRAY WIRE MOD, OPTIMA RED TOP, GOODRIDGE STEEL BRAKE LINES, FAB TECH LIFT,

Ya and im ashamed to say it was a harbor freight chain. its all we had. its the first time i brought it, it belongs to my father and i thought hey what the hell its not gonna hurt to have.:p also whats snatching??

yes it was him. dumb a** neon shirt

Ya after this experience im gonna look into get a strap...

He seriously did nothing and let everyone else get his truck out.:rolleyes: i think there were a total of 10ish guys there by all was said and done.

15. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:55 AM
    kumaWRX

kumaWRX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Offroad PreRunner 3.4L V6
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, Toytec 1" lift shackles, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, aFE Stg. 2 intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler, 16x8 ProComp 7089 wheels, Toyo Open Country A/T tires, Pamalu bedliner, Bakflip G2 bedcover
    Yup that chain could've easily gone on to cause more harm than good. Check wheelers offroad, that's where I got mine its an awesome strap for the money.

16. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:59 AM
    beetlejuice2275

beetlejuice2275 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reximus
    Queens, NY
    Vehicle:
    Drift inspired 08 Reg Cab
    custom ram air. blacked badges, hids, rewired front turn signals and park lights, URD short shifter, Pioneer t-screen (no nav), 10" 1200 watt.
  17. Apr 21, 2010 at 1:59 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    x2

Snatching... seriously? OK, it's a tow strap with elastic properties. So that it stretches and recoils a bit when jerking trucks out.

What, you couldn't hook all 4 fricking trucks up to move it? No one had another chain or strap???

After you tell your friend to learn to drive, tell him that T-shirts over sweat shirts went out with the '80s :D

18. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    snatching in theory works better than a tow chain because it allows you to get a running start and cause less damage. basically the tower hooks up to the towee with a snatch strap, one of those long yellow flat strings, and gets a running start. the strap will stretch then snap back making the tower have more force. also, if a strap breaks the worst that anyone will have is a mean welt instead of catching a chain to the head.
    I like using the chain if there isnt a lot of room because the strap will stretch and if you are pressed for room then you really dont want to lose any more room to pull him out but 95% of the time the strap works better. the chain is helpful for moving logs and stuff out of the way though so keep it in the truck.

19. Apr 21, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    Mr.Fahrenheit

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4L 5spd TRD

there was only enough room on the single lane road for one truck and it could only pull him out at an angle.

ok i'll definitely get one of those.;) thanks for the schooling

20. Apr 21, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Someone needs to buy a recovery strap, you coulda pulled that thing out with 2wd Ranger......Chains just wreck things.

Products Discussed in

To Top