Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Careful Who You Wheel With!!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
Mr.Fahrenheit's Tacoma Gallery
Careful Who You Wheel With!!

Hey TW,

I have a little story for you guys, nothing to crazy but just felt like sharing. So i recently got my new truck and haven't had a chance to take it to knoxville(a place about 2 hr from where i live)

So one weekend a few of my friends decided to make a day trip to knoxville to go wheel, shoot and ride bikes. Me in my 01 tacoma and my other friend in his recently acquired 00 4runner 3.4l 5spd and wanted to take it out as well.

We take off and decide to meet at knoxville base camp. Before we left i gave him a walkie talkie so we could talk when we get there. I arrive first even though i left later. Wait at base camp for 30 minutes and finally i get a call over the walkie talkie, "hello?" i respond back hey ya whats up where are you man. "oh man i took a turn too fast, i need help." so my friends and i jump in the truck and go look for him.

This is what we find:

It turns out he was blasting down the community road (where everyone, even riders use) and took a turn way to fast causing his left tire to go into a ditch, he over compensated trying to get out of trouble and drove his 4runner straight into an embankment. He was completely high centered.

The frame was resting on a large rock and a large bush was under the front end. Luckily i brought a chain just for sh*ts. I tried and tried with my truck and ill i was doing was wasting the tread on my tires. We tried letting some air out, jacking up his axle and cramming rock under them, no luck.

Then this group of guys come by. One with a 92-95 F-250 and another with a 97-02 jeep. Young guys and a bit drunk decide that this is no problem, simple yank out. So the guy with the F-250 goes first, 4-5 attempts no luck. Next the guy with the jeep tired since he has better mud tires, again no luck. Being the strapping young lad that he is he decides to wheel his way to a better spot to pull from. He begins to wheel his way up a hill when suddenly you hear a snap! oops he ended up breaking the welds on his lower control arm....... so he is out.

SOO after about an 3 hours maybe more im super pissed because this was supposed to be a lite wheeling/mudding, dirt bike riding, bbqing, shooting, relaxing day has now gone to sh*t.

Luckily they had a friend who was on his was up the hill. He had an older Dodge cummins dulley. he gets there and tried and tried and tried to the point where he just got pissed and slammed the throttle and hammered down and launch the 4runner 3-4feet in the air(according to my friends) i was inside trying to help with reverse.

Success!! the 4runner was free. the trip was pretty much over and ruined after that. oh and also later on he ended up getting suck again over some rock because he wasn't paying attention and almost drove off a hill. Sorry but some people just shouldn't drive.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
rookies lol. at least it wasnt raining!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
SoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalBlack08's Tacoma Gallery
haha pretty interesting!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
btkicker will become famous soon enough
btkicker's Tacoma Gallery
Never over-correct.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
I better not show this thread to my friend, he's already covinced that the Cummins is God's gift to man, hahah. But seriously, he's lucky he didn't total his 4Runner or even worse hurt himself or someone else.

Off topic, I want a Cummins 5.9L 24 valve someday
Old 04-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Great Story, and lesson!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
..Well at least no one got hurt!!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
So were all these attempts made using that chain you brought?

Bad shit happens using chains, pick up a strap that is intended for snatching
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a tard to me! haha
is he the one in the neon yellow shirt?!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Yes some people shouldn't drive. Get rid of that chain and get a real recovery strap.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yes some people shouldn't drive. Get rid of that chain and get a real recovery strap.
Put some speed into it!

Chain + snatchstrap + speed =

sounds like you almost had enough guys to lift the damn thing out! Nice pics thanks for sharing
Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Well at least one guy was being safe, wearing his safety yellow shirt. lol
Old 04-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
So were all these attempts made using that chain you brought?

Bad shit happens using chains, pick up a strap that is intended for snatching

Ya and im ashamed to say it was a harbor freight chain. its all we had. its the first time i brought it, it belongs to my father and i thought hey what the hell its not gonna hurt to have. also whats snatching??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
Sounds like a tard to me! haha
is he the one in the neon yellow shirt?!
yes it was him. dumb a** neon shirt

Quote:

Ya after this experience im gonna look into get a strap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Well at least one guy was being safe, wearing his safety yellow shirt. lol

He seriously did nothing and let everyone else get his truck out. i think there were a total of 10ish guys there by all was said and done.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #16
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup that chain could've easily gone on to cause more harm than good. Check wheelers offroad, that's where I got mine its an awesome strap for the money.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #17
beetlejuice2275 will become famous soon enough

Name: Reximus
beetlejuice2275's Tacoma Gallery
dumb ass
Old 04-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #18
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice2275 View Post
dumb ass
x2

Snatching... seriously? OK, it's a tow strap with elastic properties. So that it stretches and recoils a bit when jerking trucks out.

What, you couldn't hook all 4 fricking trucks up to move it? No one had another chain or strap???

After you tell your friend to learn to drive, tell him that T-shirts over sweat shirts went out with the '80s
Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #19
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
snatching in theory works better than a tow chain because it allows you to get a running start and cause less damage. basically the tower hooks up to the towee with a snatch strap, one of those long yellow flat strings, and gets a running start. the strap will stretch then snap back making the tower have more force. also, if a strap breaks the worst that anyone will have is a mean welt instead of catching a chain to the head.
I like using the chain if there isnt a lot of room because the strap will stretch and if you are pressed for room then you really dont want to lose any more room to pull him out but 95% of the time the strap works better. the chain is helpful for moving logs and stuff out of the way though so keep it in the truck.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #20
Dennis = sinneD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
x2

Snatching... seriously? OK, it's a tow strap with elastic properties. So that it stretches and recoils a bit when jerking trucks out.

What, you couldn't hook all 4 fricking trucks up to move it? No one had another chain or strap???

After you tell your friend to learn to drive, tell him that T-shirts over sweat shirts went out with the '80s

there was only enough room on the single lane road for one truck and it could only pull him out at an angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post
snatching in theory works better than a tow chain because it allows you to get a running start and cause less damage. basically the tower hooks up to the towee with a snatch strap, one of those long yellow flat strings, and gets a running start. the strap will stretch then snap back making the tower have more force. also, if a strap breaks the worst that anyone will have is a mean welt instead of catching a chain to the head.
I like using the chain if there isnt a lot of room because the strap will stretch and if you are pressed for room then you really dont want to lose any more room to pull him out but 95% of the time the strap works better. the chain is helpful for moving logs and stuff out of the way though so keep it in the truck.

ok i'll definitely get one of those. thanks for the schooling