Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Prob an obvious question here

Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
HeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant future

Name: Jacob
HeadlampRevamp's Tacoma Gallery
Prob an obvious question here

I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I'm a little bothered to be asking this question. What is the difference between having your truck in 4x4 hi while having it in a low gear and putting your truck in 4x4 low?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 hi and 4x2 are the same ratios, only difference being you have power on both ends. 4x4 lo is a lower gear ratio than 4hi and 2hi

.......if I understood your original question correctly.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I think he is asking whats the difference in regular high 4x4 and putting it in 1st gear or having it in 4x4 lo and driving the vehicle thru all the gears.

I personally like 4x4 lo if I know I will at some point during the event need the really low gearing. If its not too bad I run 4x4 high. Having a manual transmission, I like to run 4x4 lo at the beach so I will not have to worry about it overheating and still have good control over the ratios.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlampRevamp View Post
I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I'm a little bothered to be asking this question. What is the difference between having your truck in 4x4 hi while having it in a low gear and putting your truck in 4x4 low?

The ratio is split between the "High" range & "Low" range within your transfer case i.e;. High range 4x is basically the same gearing mode you use on the street with the exception of having the front tire turning now because you are in "4-High" , "4-Lo" is a different gear ratio (much lower) Put your truck in Lo gear with the transfer engaged in "4-High" & drive around a bit, ok if your done doing that, now... put your truck in "4-Lo" & now put your transmission in Lo gear, drive around a bit & notice the difference there is between the 2......Now you know the difference !!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
For a little clarity, then, 1st gear in 4Lo will actually exhibit more torque than 1st gear in 4Hi. And running in 4Lo, you'd have to shift between gears more often. When I had my '09, I'd run trails in 4Lo for one of the same reasons mentioned above, to be prepared for obstacles that I'd come across, and I be in 3rd gear at 15 miles an hour.

What is the ratio in our trucks' transfer cases again? 2.8:1??
Old 04-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
For you manual owners.....

When you're in 1st gear 4lo - can you let the clutch out without any gas and the truck will start crawling by itself?

All my other vehicles did that, but wasn't sure the manual 2nd gens did that or not. I had a friend with a Jeep and an Atlas T-case. He'd put the thing in some ridiculously low gear/range and get out of the vehicle (while it was still moving) and he'd put rocks underneath the tires and watch the thing crawl over them by itself with nobody in the drivers seat. He was a crazy man!!

You couldn't get in 1st gear 4hi and do the same thing, you'd probably stall.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure of the final drive ratio in either high range or low on your particular truck, I'm assuming that you have a manual trans & if its a 6 speed that means gear ratios within the transmission are pretty close, I'm pretty sure the theory behind it is even though you need to shift more, supposedly its easier to stay within the powerband. BUT !! I seriously question this.

Its been my experience with racing dirt bikes when I was younger, some of the bikes I had, the gearbox was very close ratio BECAUSE the powerband of the bike was actually somewhat narrow RPM wise & alot of shifting was necessary to keep it in the "powerband'. Its my opinion that this same principle can be applied to your Tacoma, I hope this makes a little sense & clarifies things a little for ya Bro'......
Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
HeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant future

Name: Jacob
HeadlampRevamp's Tacoma Gallery
got it, thanks for clarifying fellas
Old 04-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
For you manual owners.....

When you're in 1st gear 4lo - can you let the clutch out without any gas and the truck will start crawling by itself?
You can do that in 2wd, never tried it in 4.