1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prob an obvious question here

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by HeadlampRevamp, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Apr 23, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    HeadlampRevamp

HeadlampRevamp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Buckner, ky
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I'm a little bothered to be asking this question. What is the difference between having your truck in 4x4 hi while having it in a low gear and putting your truck in 4x4 low?

2. Apr 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    4x4 hi and 4x2 are the same ratios, only difference being you have power on both ends. 4x4 lo is a lower gear ratio than 4hi and 2hi

.......if I understood your original question correctly.

3. Apr 23, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

The ratio is split between the "High" range & "Low" range within your transfer case i.e;. High range 4x is basically the same gearing mode you use on the street with the exception of having the front tire turning now because you are in "4-High" , "4-Lo" is a different gear ratio (much lower) Put your truck in Lo gear with the transfer engaged in "4-High" & drive around a bit, ok if your done doing that, now... put your truck in "4-Lo" & now put your transmission in Lo gear, drive around a bit & notice the difference there is between the 2......Now you know the difference !!

..................:cool::D:eek::cool:

4. Apr 23, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    For a little clarity, then, 1st gear in 4Lo will actually exhibit more torque than 1st gear in 4Hi. And running in 4Lo, you'd have to shift between gears more often. When I had my '09, I'd run trails in 4Lo for one of the same reasons mentioned above, to be prepared for obstacles that I'd come across, and I be in 3rd gear at 15 miles an hour.

What is the ratio in our trucks' transfer cases again? 2.8:1??

5. Apr 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    For you manual owners.....

When you're in 1st gear 4lo - can you let the clutch out without any gas and the truck will start crawling by itself?

All my other vehicles did that, but wasn't sure the manual 2nd gens did that or not. I had a friend with a Jeep and an Atlas T-case. He'd put the thing in some ridiculously low gear/range and get out of the vehicle (while it was still moving) and he'd put rocks underneath the tires and watch the thing crawl over them by itself with nobody in the drivers seat. He was a crazy man!!

You couldn't get in 1st gear 4hi and do the same thing, you'd probably stall.

6. Apr 23, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I'm not sure of the final drive ratio in either high range or low on your particular truck, I'm assuming that you have a manual trans & if its a 6 speed that means gear ratios within the transmission are pretty close, I'm pretty sure the theory behind it is even though you need to shift more, supposedly its easier to stay within the powerband. BUT !! I seriously question this.

Its been my experience with racing dirt bikes when I was younger, some of the bikes I had, the gearbox was very close ratio BECAUSE the powerband of the bike was actually somewhat narrow RPM wise & alot of shifting was necessary to keep it in the "powerband'. Its my opinion that this same principle can be applied to your Tacoma, I hope this makes a little sense & clarifies things a little for ya Bro'......:D:cool::D

7. Apr 23, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    HeadlampRevamp

HeadlampRevamp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Buckner, ky
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    got it, thanks for clarifying fellas

8. Apr 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I don't think it was a bad/silly question. I bet a few who read the benefited.

9. Apr 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    You can do that in 2wd, never tried it in 4.

Products Discussed in

To Top