Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

1st gen bumpers

Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen bumpers

well i searched for answers but i haven't found what i was lookin for... i have sliders already so we're covered there... i want a fron bumper with good approach angles. i obviously want it stong but not put a huge dent in the bank... not totally opposed to plate or tube... even a list of manufactures would be great.
Rear: im thinking about those bumpers that wrap around all the way to the wheel well. do those do well when droppin off ledges? (tired of draggin the oem bumper ha) they sure do look great, but im more for strength and purpose than looks. again a list of manufacturers would be great! Thanx for readin everyone, this forum seems to have alot of knowledge floatin around!
Old 05-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
MarcD is on a distinguished road
MarcD's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ggestions.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...mper-pics.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...lo-making.html
Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'm partial to ARB for the front. They are well established and the bumpers are airbag compatable. Rear bumpers, I'm running a Demello Hybrid.

Demello rear

ARB on the front.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thank u very much for those links MarcD. why didnt any of those threads come up when i searched for them????? and Kilted, i like ur demello rear how much? and the only reason im starting lean away from the ARB front is approach angle. they stick out far...
Old 05-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I like this one best.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
That's a damn nice bumper. Too bad it would be legal in WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
I like this one best.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
I'm partial to ARB for the front. They are well established and the bumpers are airbag compatable. Rear bumpers, I'm running a Demello Hybrid.

Demello rear

ARB on the front.
Did you modify the suspension at all to accommodate for the weight of the ARB?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Quote:
hey Brian do you know what kind of rims tose are on the 4R? BTW I would love to have a bumper like this for when I get a new bed.....
Old 05-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Because it doesn't stick out far enough? I wanted to make sure to keep it departure angle friendly, and on the high and tucked in side of the spectrum. I normally do a rear step off the back which would make it stick out more. btw, I can do 1st gen bumpers right from the rear of my 99 truck, the 05+ is on the list for 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
1st gen bumpers-1-00004.jpg   1st gen bumpers-b-00001.jpg  
Old 05-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
pavement is boring....

those are really nice!^^^^ how much????
Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Taco Vending Machine

I know you're trying to keep it affordable. The simple non wrap style runs about $275 + shipping (that one was $79 from CA to NY, and that was expensive UPS) and about $599 for the higher end one with the shackles and aluminum step plates. It was a ton of work. I'm sure I could come up with a affordable one for you, or you may want to check into the one in post #3, I've heard they're pretty affordable too. (at least the rear one)

It's hard for me to compete with the bigger companies, but I'm sure mine are stronger than what they're building theirs from also. Mine are true custom fabbed bumpers shipped to your door. 1.5" x 120 wall HREW and 1/4" frame plates. I can't do front ones for 1st gen since my truck is a 5-lug, and I haven't made a fixture for the 6 lug one. So until I get a local person's truck, 6 lug front is out...I want it available asap though. (for like a year and a half now) I started a front winch bumper for that red 4R and it's going to be sweet! It's been on hold for a few weeks though. Here's a thread on it below...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toy...6-4runner.html
Attached Thumbnails
1st gen bumpers-7-00005.jpg  
Old 05-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
pavement is boring....

how about the second bumper in your post of them on the ground? i like that one alot... i dont need step plates, but i do need the wrap around... and trailor hitch. will that allow for the license plate as well?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know you're trying to keep it affordable. The simple non wrap style runs about $275 + shipping (that one was $79 from CA to NY, and that was expensive UPS) and about $599 for the higher end one with the shackles and aluminum step plates. It was a ton of work. I'm sure I could come up with a affordable one for you, or you may want to check into the one in post #3, I've heard they're pretty affordable too. (at least the rear one)

It's hard for me to compete with the bigger companies, but I'm sure mine are stronger than what they're building theirs from also. Mine are true custom fabbed bumpers shipped to your door. 1.5" x 120 wall HREW and 1/4" frame plates. I can't do front ones for 1st gen since my truck is a 5-lug, and I haven't made a fixture for the 6 lug one. So until I get a local person's truck, 6 lug front is out...I want it available asap though. (for like a year and a half now) I started a front winch bumper for that red 4R and it's going to be sweet! It's been on hold for a few weeks though. Here's a thread on it below...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toy...6-4runner.html
Beefed you should make front bumpers. i would be interested in one.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Did you modify the suspension at all to accommodate for the weight of the ARB?
He has OME 880's on the front. I think the 881 or 882 would probably be better though since they are made for off road bumpers.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 05-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #16
Taco Vending Machine

Believe me, they're on the asap list for sure...first gen 6-lug front bumpers & skid plates and 05+ front and rear. I promise you will see something here in the future. I'm not sure what those wheels are, but I've been told they look like a BMX bicycle front sprocket. I need to get this guy's front bumper done BAD. That thread is in need of some bumpage with fresh pics. It'll be the nicest front bumper I've built to date, and I've made a few really nice ones in the past, but that was pre digital camera days for me unfortunately.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Believe me, they're on the asap list for sure...first gen 6-lug front bumpers & skid plates and 05+ front and rear. I promise you will see something here in the future. I'm not sure what those wheels are, but I've been told they look like a BMX bicycle front sprocket. I need to get this guy's front bumper done BAD. That thread is in need of some bumpage with fresh pics. It'll be the nicest front bumper I've built to date, and I've made a few really nice ones in the past, but that was pre digital camera days for me unfortunately.
well once you have something, let me know. i would be very interested in a strong, preferably plate style front bumper.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #18
The TW 1%
Quote:
Because it doesn't stick out far enough?
No, that's fine its the fact that it's made of tube and has no vertical plating.

WAC 204-10-022

(6) Bumpers: A motor vehicle must be equipped with a bumper on both the front and rear of the vehicle with the exception of motor vehicles where the original or predominant body configuration, provided by a recognized manufacturer, did not include such bumper or bumpers in the design of the vehicle. For the relevant model year, bumpers must accommodate recognized manufacturer impact absorption systems pursuant to applicable SAE Bumper Standards or equivalent standards.

Bumpers are optional equipment on vehicles defined as street rods and kit vehicles by the Washington state patrol vehicle inspectors.

Bumpers, unless specifically exempted above, must:

(a) Be at least four and one-half inches in vertical height.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #19
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like this one best.

That is one hell of a bumper!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
.Trdtaco315. is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
.Trdtaco315.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote: