Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Fun Trails to do at night?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
.Trdtaco315. is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
.Trdtaco315.'s Tacoma Gallery
Fun Trails to do at night?

hey whats up guys. well posted a thread to see if anyone wants to do a night run, but got no replies.
anyone know of a good trail to do at night? im, 2wd with diff lock. im in the so cal area. thanks for ur help
Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Trdtaco315. View Post
hey whats up guys. well posted a thread to see if anyone wants to do a night run, but got no replies.
anyone know of a good trail to do at night? im, 2wd with diff lock. im in the so cal area. thanks for ur help
It's never a good idea to wheel at night...
Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think night wheeling is bad, it does pose more obstacles but as long as your in a group and your lghts are fine, it should be no different than day. The socal group has done a few night runs At cleghorn and I did maindivide eigh a buddy. As tempted and anxious as you may be to Offroad, NEVER GO ALONE.

That being said, some cool local trails: (not sure how many are open at night)

-Main Divide Road (light fireroad)
-Holy Jim Trail (short but fun)
-Cleghorn (far but a favorite for many. This trail offers tough stuff and light stuff too. This is always ope )
-Big Bear (not exactly close but I've heard it's fun)
-Corral Canyon
Old 05-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
k20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joseph
k20me's Tacoma Gallery
Lytle Creek is pretty fun, yeah...don't go alone there, or anywhere like Manny has stated.. It's rocky as hell though.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Tellico - the EASY trails. At night in Tellico, it's pitch dark and sometimes spooky! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Tellico is closed now.

A buddy of ours was at the back of the pack and he kept getting freaked out thinking something was gonna jump out of the woods and attack him. It was hilarious!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
I would not recommend wheeling at night unless you had no other choice. It increases the risk of something going wrong.

To the OP, there are some good books on 4-wheeling in southern california. I recommend something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Calif.../dp/0966497643
Old 05-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
I would not recommend wheeling at night unless you had no other choice.
I wouldn't necessarily say that.....

If you have an experienced group of people (many rigs), on a known set of trails with an experienced trail guide who knows the trails. Making sure everyone has full communication, full set of tools/recovery/safety gear.....and full cell phone service and/or a short distance from civilization. And of course....lots of lighting.

If you're with an offroad club that sets something like this up.....there's nothing wrong with it. Your 'support' group of rigs/poeple are there to handle any situation. And not to mention - they (trail guides) shouldn't take you anywhere difficult to pose any problems.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The last night run I did was at Cleghorn. There was 4 of us, starting at midnight and my gears went out that night. Like he^ said, if you wheel with people who know whats up, there shouldbe no issues. JOHN towed me down the trail as my truck was inoperable and everything worked out thanks to the great group we had. Bottom Line: think about all factors and wheel responsibly.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that.....

If you have an experienced group of people (many rigs), on a known set of trails with an experienced trail guide who knows the trails. Making sure everyone has full communication, full set of tools/recovery/safety gear.....and full cell phone service and/or a short distance from civilization. And of course....lots of lighting.

If you're with an offroad club that sets something like this up.....there's nothing wrong with it. Your 'support' group of rigs/poeple are there to handle any situation. And not to mention - they (trail guides) shouldn't take you anywhere difficult to pose any problems.
Janster, you paint a perfect picture and under those circumstances you mitigate risk, that is all. But still, would you rather change a CV axle on the trail at 12am or 12pm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
The last night run I did was at Cleghorn. There was 4 of us, starting at midnight and my gears went out that night. Like he^ said, if you wheel with people who know whats up, there shouldbe no issues. JOHN towed me down the trail as my truck was inoperable and everything worked out thanks to the great group we had. Bottom Line: think about all factors and wheel responsibly.
Manny, I regard your story as an epic night time adventure for sure. In the end it all worked out.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
Hi
It can't be argued against: day wheeling is always better. Like you said, it's much easier to change a part In daylight than at night, and much better to be able to see everything that's around you rather than just where your light is pointing. Night wheeling is fun though. And yea I'm glad my situation worke out okay. Definitely one for the books.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Any trail you are comfortable with. You have to understand that there will be different challenges at night that might make a trail you drive in the day with no problem more tricky- and I wouldn't try to find new places to take on at night before you see them in the day.

I don't care what time of day it is- I don't ever WANT to change a CV or anything else. With the proper equipment- It doesn't really matter what time of day it is. You plan properly and understand what you are getting into....It's all good.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
It can't be argued against: day wheeling is always better. Like you said, it's much easier to change a part In daylight than at night, and much better to be able to see everything that's around you rather than just where your light is pointing. Night wheeling is fun though. And yea I'm glad my situation worke out okay. Definitely one for the books.
I just heard that Cleghorn was closed because Manny lost a rear on that trail!!! Okay maybe that wasn't the reason but from what I hear all the bypasses have been blocked!!! Now that sucks - Day or Night. My heart is heavy!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Don't wheel at night, for the first time, alone.

I'll admit it - I wheel at night, solo vehicle/multi-passenger, occasionally. But I don't push it, know how to recover my vehicle and bring the tools to do such, let others know where we're going, and come prepared to walk out.

I won't hit a trail for the first time at night generally, either, unless it's mild.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #17

sup guys, so that night i decide to go to Cleghorn, yeah i went by myself, well me and my gf. only took some of the off route trails. i went back through during the day and had a blast, im so proud of my taco. had one sketchy moment during the day, my drive wheel was almost about 2 feet off the ground.[forgot to get a pic of that =/ ] i got some pics, there not very good but i thought id post them.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #18

2 more to come, pics arent the best

Gf made me smile..
Old 05-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #19
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Try Santiago Mountains, I used to do it at night with a few TToRa guys.

That reminds me, Manny, you want to do a santiago run some night?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Try Santiago Mountains, I used to do it at night with a few TToRa guys.

That reminds me, Manny, you want to do a santiago run some night?
im up for that, if u ever wanna go give me a shout