Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

What do you think about a prerunner in the sand???

Old 05-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
DLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant future
Name: David
DLR07's Tacoma Gallery
What do you think about a prerunner in the sand???

Hey guys, I live in florida about 30mins from the beach. And Ive been wondering if I can take my 07 V6 DC prerunner out on the sand or if it would be pointless bc Im gonna get stuck asap. I have very minor upgrades, billy 5100s all the way around at 1.5, new 265-75-16 nitto terra grapplers. I know before I even try to that I need to take the tires down to about 15-20 PSI right? Any other tips? Just wanted to get your guys advices before I try. Thanks guys
Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
air down your tires, don't dig. trick is to stay floating. if you need to stop, make sure to do so on a downhill slant.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Keep on the gas, no sudden accelerations and bring a friend with 4x4...
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbrat View Post
Keep moving don't stop in soft stuff if you have momentum you're fine
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
air down your tires, don't dig. trick is to stay floating. if you need to stop, make sure to do so on a downhill slant.
x2

All great suggestions.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
DLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant future
Name: David
DLR07's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks alot guys, do you think I should take the tires PSI to 15 or 20?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
you can probably take it a little lower than that - just be careful not to make fast-sharp turns or else you might roll the tire off the rim.

Try 15 - see how it feels, then take it lower if need be

Just be careful not to dig, if you're gassing it and the truck is not moving, STOP gassing it! you'll only bury yourself to the frame then you're screwed until someone can pull you out
Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of
Name: Jeff
270's Tacoma Gallery
And if you stop on a flat area make sure you dont slam on the brakes and dig in your front tires, just kinda coast to a stop.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Bring something to put under your tires in case you do get burried... After I burried my old 1st. Gen, I always have somthing with me..
Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
dgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to behold

dgalleon's Tacoma Gallery
you should be fine.... i been to most of the beaches here in florida and most are hard packed sand.. the only recent problem is in Daytona where i had to help with towing alot of cars out bc of the sea shells mixing with the packed sand making it soft. esp with the tires you have you will do fine in the sand at our beaches. now if you decide to go to non public areas of the beach then yea... you might need to air down, but the lowest i ever needed to air mine down was to 20 psi... you dont want to go too low esp if there isnt an air compressor nearby to fill you up.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
dgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
Bring something to put under your tires in case you do get burried... After I burried my old 1st. Gen, I always have somthing with me..
x2
Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Could u use a bed mat to stick under the tires?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
You will get stuck. Trade for a 4x4 asap! Pre-runners are lame.
Your post is rude and inflammatory. Not everyone needs 4x4... so chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwithcorona View Post
Could u use a bed mat to stick under the tires?
Absolutely. Anything that helps your tires get traction to get you out. Bed mats are great. If I ever have to lay on my back to work under my truck I have a tarp, if there are rough rocks on the ground I'm pulling my bed bat.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
All good suggestions that mirror my experiences (I live a mile from the beach). Well, except for the one moronic troll post.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #16
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Good I just like having the extra security... I have both a tarp and a bedmat
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #17
waynesworld will become famous soon enoughwaynesworld will become famous soon enough
Name: wayne
waynesworld's Tacoma Gallery
i always keep 1 of those small army shovels that fold up .u can pick 1 up at a military surplus store 4 pretty cheap and they come in handy if u have 2 dig yourself out.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
When I first got my '06 Tacoma I took it to our local "river" which, unless it's flooding, is essentially just a long, narrow, sand dune. The weekend before we had run my sister's ATVs down it and I wondered if my new truck could handle the same terrain. I drove ten miles in the soft sand in drive and never even put my truck into FWD, until I stopped, then I had to switch to FWD-H to get going again. However, if your Prerunner has the locking differential you might be OK (I couldn't try this as my truck only locks in FWD-L).
Old 05-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
You will get stuck. Trade for a 4x4 asap! Pre-runners are lame.

When we all go out into the sand we usually never turn on 4x4 unless we need it, very rare esp here in Florida beach areas. Its more fun that way so he shouldnt have a problem unless he does something he was told not to do from above posts...
Old 05-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #20

I might get one of those shovels... good idea to have one regardless