Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Great Demo about Differentials

Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.
billas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant future

Name: Joel
billas333's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to billas333
Great Demo about Differentials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw

I bought the TRD Sport for the LSD because I go up to the mountains and drive icy roads a lot and read that a locking differential would be dangerous under those conditions when cornering. This video shows why a locker is so much more preferred when climbing off road hills in awkward positions.

Enjoy
Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Good video, but too bad you can only get the G80 on a GM. Richmond has similar videos to show off their auto lockers.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
It demonstrates it pretty well. You'd think a 4wd w/LSD would perform better than it did, but the incline is really the killer.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
yeah my dad has a silverado with the G80, is there anyone who makes pretty much the same locker? Because when I drive his truck I never experience the drawbacks of the "lunchbox" lockers. I've never had the rear end slide out, never heard it engage (on the street), only time I've seen it work was in mud when it was supposed to.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Good video demonstration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
yeah my dad has a silverado with the G80, is there anyone who makes pretty much the same locker? Because when I drive his truck I never experience the drawbacks of the "lunchbox" lockers. I've never had the rear end slide out, never heard it engage (on the street), only time I've seen it work was in mud when it was supposed to.
Not sure if you're looking something for the taco... But Yukon makes a locker that does the same thing. It's called the Grizzly locker

http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=8246

I read a favorable review in my 4WD Toyota Onwers mag yesterday.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
I believe PowerTrax makes a locker as well, I still have an open diff, just looking at my options.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Good video demonstration.

Not sure if you're looking something for the taco... But Yukon makes a locker that does the same thing. It's called the Grizzly locker

http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=8246

I read a favorable review in my 4WD Toyota Onwers mag yesterday.
yeah I read that too. It just seems that I read all these things about these lockers acting up on the street, my dads has never done any of them. I know the ARB's are good, but if I could get something like what the silverado has for a good price I'd be happy with it.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't the TRAC/A-TRAC the same concept or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
It demonstrates it pretty well. You'd think a 4wd w/LSD would perform better than it did, but the incline is really the killer.
is LSD engaged when in 4wd?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn617 View Post
Isn't the TRAC/A-TRAC the same concept or no?
They are similar; but there are important differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn617 View Post
is LSD engaged when in 4wd?
No. 2WD only.