Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Wasn't pretty ... but it made it

Old 05-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
tonyplanet will become famous soon enoughtonyplanet will become famous soon enough

tonyplanet's Tacoma Gallery
Wasn't pretty ... but it made it

Trail run this morning, Gold Mountain in Big Bear. My truck, 09 Tacoma stock. Except for Demello Hybrid sliders, and Armor Tech front skid plate. Thank goodness for those to mods, helped me get through with minimal carnage.

What I have to show for it:

Bent rear bumper, and minimal damage to rear driver side quarter panel. Now a reason for me to get that CBI rear bumper I always wanted. Officially ok with cutting/sawing/hacking the rear bed and fender.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Dr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Matt
Dr. Pepper's Tacoma Gallery
poor truck
Old 05-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
tonyplanet will become famous soon enoughtonyplanet will become famous soon enough

Very impressed with a stock TRD Off-road Tacoma:

Stock Height; no lift:

With good wheel placement- minimal carnage (darn long wheel base) i.e. bent bumper, dented quarter panel.

rear wheel flex

Good spotting - helped me get through this nasty rock garden:

Old 05-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #4

Yeah ... i know, those mud flaps are going. I was surprised they didn't fall off on the trail, but they did take a good hit a couple of times. So much for everyone complaining that the 2nd gen mud flaps are crap.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
im surprised those rugged trails made it through those rocks
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #6

BFG Rugged Trail (stock 265/75-16) performed better than expected. Not crap like everyone makes them out to be. Yes, if you are going to get more into off-road could upgrade them to something more meatier.

I am a firm believer in Toyota off-road capability. Like the new stock 5th gen 4runner tackling the Rubicon. But no matter what your vehicle is capable of, there is no substitute for good off-road driving skills by the driver.

Go TOYOTA!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHLC128 View Post
im surprised those rugged trails made it through those rocks
I am very surprised myself. No sidewall punctures, nothing. I just aired them down to about 22 psi. They did fine. Some areas they didn't provided enough traction, I just kicked in my lockers and atrac.

On a side note, they have over 26K miles on them, given a majority of them are highway miles.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
At least it seems that you had a good time and proved the capabilities of a stock Tacoma....

I still don't have the balls yet to take mine out for test ride....
Old 05-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Yikes! The only way I would ever tackle terrain like that is with a dedicated trail rig. You have balls my friend. Glad you had fun and I'm glad you made it out with minimal (if you could call a bumper that's been completed trashed minimal ) damage.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Good job dude! I also use mine to do what it was made to do (most people say I beat the hell out of it).

I never had a problem with the rugged trails either. Obviously, they are nothing fancy and can be easily improved but they never failed me though either. I don't know what everybody is crying about on the stock tires.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Time for a new rear bumper!