LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Who's sick of the 4 wheel drive pedestal?

View Poll Results: Who's sick of the 4 wheel drive pedestal?
Yes 290 69.21%
No 129 30.79%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
rberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrberumen2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ralphie
rberumen2's Tacoma Gallery
Who's sick of the 4 wheel drive pedestal?

Yes, i have a prerunner . I love my truck. I'm just sick of people always saying "nice truck!" Is it 4 wheel drive? and when they hear that it isn't, it's not a nice truck anymore. I live in sac and i use my truck to haul my boat and trailer just fine. i can drive the same pavement as the 4 wheelers just the same and go over the same speed bumps just the same. I've been mudding with 4runners and tacomas before and overcame the EXACT same trenches they went through. so for all the prerunners out there who go through the same thing. this one is for you guys!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Amen. It all depends on what you need. Fortunately we live in an area where a storm consists of 3" of rain, and thus 4wd isnt needed. Prerunners are great. However, I will throw in something I read on another thread, and I think its makes a great point. For offroading, unless your doing some desert prerunning, 4wd is the way to go. I had a prerunner that kicked ass, and some even thought it was a 4wd while I was out on the trail. A 2wd, however, puts sooo much more stress on that single differential in the back and thus may suffer damages at a faster rate than a 4x which has 4 wheels pushing and pulling it through obstacles. Nevertheless, prerunners kick ass and are definitely very capable
Old 05-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Stop complaining and buy a real truck.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Stop complaining and buy a real truck.

To the OP, I understand what your saying and I am sorry for that. But I can see the future and I see this thread becoming locked after about 10-24 hours. Sorry.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Dan893 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Dan893's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dan893
I bought a 4x4 because we ge alot of snow. If I didn't live in an area with alot of snow I would have bought a prerunner. I also kinda wish I went with a sb so I could have the manual trans with the double cab since I tore my acls in both me knees and my mcl in my left as well when I dumped my bike so my riding days might be over and I don't need the lb anymore and I love driving a manual shift vehicle
Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Amen. It all depends on what you need. Fortunately we live in an area where a storm consists of 3" of rain, and thus 4wd isnt needed. Prerunners are great. However, I will throw in something I read on another thread, and I think its makes a great point. For offroading, unless your doing some desert prerunning, 4wd is the way to go. I had a prerunner that kicked ass, and some even thought it was a 4wd while I was out on the trail. A 2wd, however, puts sooo much more stress on that single differential in the back and thus may suffer damages at a faster rate than a 4x which has 4 wheels pushing and pulling it through obstacles. Nevertheless, prerunners kick ass and are definitely very capable
X2, Had a 07 pre runner that got me into and out of everything I threw at it. I did trails that I never should have gotten myself into. I luckily made it throught them all. I did however not like that I had to worry about not getting out so I ended up getting a 2010 4wd trd or. Less anxiety. LOL!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I do think my truck is half a man. it only gots one ball. a real man has two balls!!

P.s I'm referring balls to the differentials
Old 05-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Just LOL.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgage10 View Post
4x4 FTW!! I do understand the pre runner thing for climates that don't require 4x4 though.
Depends on lifestyle also. I reside in Vegas where 4x4 is definitely not need for everyday use but F* that, I got a 4x4 and find ways to use it. HA HA HA HA!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Depends on lifestyle also. I reside in Vegas where 4x4 is definitely not need for everyday use but F* that, I got a 4x4 and find ways to use it. HA HA HA HA!
ha ha, i could see you driving up and down the side of the Luxor
Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
If I could do it again, I'd get a PreRunner. The 4x4 was awesome in the snow but to lose 3+ mpg for that the rest of the year doesn't make sense to me now. Haha it made plenty of sense when I bought it in December, right after we had just finished up with a decent snow storm.

The PreRunner I had would get 20mpg consistently. I just got 13mpg out of my 4x4 yesterday. I'm about to put the S/C on it so I expect that to just nosedive off a cliff. PreRunners also don't have to worry about front driveshaft boots.

I feel your pain though. When I had the 2000 Frontier Desert Runner, people would always ask if it was a 4x4 and would immediately lose interest when I said it wasn't.

For as little as I use 4x4, I'd rather just save some on gas.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
pre runners are sweet, when I got out wheeling i try to do everything in two wheel drive first, my truck always surprises me with what it can do in two wheel drive. But then there is always something I cant make it up/over/through without slappin her in 4x4.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumatrd View Post
ha ha, i could see you driving up and down the side of the Luxor
I Do! I roll up to the top, don't crest it as I don't have sliders yet, pull the e-brake and get my tan on with that big ass light at the top! RFLMAO
Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm 2wd until I turn the knob.

Sorry but 4wd is just that cool no matter who you are.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I love my pre-runner. I live in southern AZ and 4x4 is almost never needed, unless I wanted to go rockcrawling, which I don't. I had an 89 4Runner for 11 years and only used the 4 wheel drive a few times. But I still get the best of both worlds, I also own an 08 4Runner (the wife drives it) that is 4x4, so if I needed it, I've got it, and it gets 21-23 mpg. I love taking the Taco on dirt roads and opening up to 45-50 mph, I never could do that in my old 89 4Runner. Pre-runners rock!!!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #18
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
My penis is bigger than your penis. Hope this helps it get locked.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
My penis is bigger than your penis. Hope this helps it get locked.
haha, you probably measure it the same way you measure a cats tail....from the butt hole to the tip.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #20
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberumen2 View Post
Yes, i have a prerunner . I love my truck. I'm just sick of people always saying "nice truck!" Is it 4 wheel drive? and when they hear that it isn't, it's not a nice truck anymore. I live in sac and i use my truck to haul my boat and trailer just fine. i can drive the same pavement as the 4 wheelers just the same and go over the same speed bumps just the same. I've been mudding with 4runners and tacomas before and overcame the EXACT same trenches they went through. so for all the prerunners out there who go through the same thing. this one is for you guys!
So, the nightmares are coming back time and time again?
Let us know.
Take care
vbibi