Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Which one should I buy?

View Poll Results: Which truck should I buy? [see write up below for details]
1989 with 236000 km 8 13.56%
1980 with 136000 km 51 86.44%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
pcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of light
pcledrew's Tacoma Gallery
Post Which one should I buy?

Hey, I'm looking at buying an old 1980 toyota truck, I already drive a 2010 TRD double cab so no worries there. Reason Im wanting the old one is I'm wanting a nice off road rig but dont wanna hurt the rig I am making payments on. I was considering buying a decent atv this year but am thinking of buying an older toyota truck instead.

Currently scoping out two options:
1. 1980 reg cab 4x4 with roll bar and some decent off road wheels / rubber. 132000 km's [82000 miles]. Body in excellent shape.
2. 1989 reg cab 4x4 with roof rack and decent wheels / rubber. 23600 km's [14600 miles]. Some rust on body around rear fender. This unit comes with an aftermarket sound system and is $800 cheaper.

Which would you buy?
Any particular years / models to avoid or look into?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
the one with the solid front axle, the 1980.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
pcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of light
It does seem like a better truck, even though I was unaware of the solid front axle detail. Thanks for the tip. know if there are still lots of parts for these lying around the world?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
1980 > 1989

1980 should have solid front axle
1989 probably has IFS

the 1989 could also possibly have the 3.slow motor that has been known to have headgasket issues and be a dog of a motor
Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
22re ftw!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
For me it would depend what the laws are in your neck of the woods for putting in a bigger engine. The 1980 should be old enough that you can put in a bigger engine and still meet exhaust laws in much of the US. Can't do that with the 1989.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
1980 for sure. Those thing are pretty valuable to the right people: fix it up a little, wheel it hard for a couple years, and sell it for a profit.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
waynesworld will become famous soon enoughwaynesworld will become famous soon enough
Name: wayne
waynesworld's Tacoma Gallery
i voted 89 ifs or not i have a 22re 5speed 4x4 89 with 156000 slow but still very reliable thats my 2cents worth
Old 05-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
buy the 89......so I can buy the 80.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Here's a pic of the 1980, going to go look at it this weekend.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
absolutely no question

buy the 80
Old 06-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
How are the frames with the trucks? The 1980 looks to be in near perfect condition.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
22re ftw!
the 1980 will not have the 22re. it will be the 20R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcledrew View Post
Here's a pic of the 1980, going to go look at it this weekend.

Body looks great! make sure you look for problematic rust areas on the frame. Check everywhere especially on the inside of the frame right at the front spring hangers for the rear springs. Hard to see on the passenger side run your hand across that part and feel for bad rust.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
What year was the 22R available in the pickups? I had one in my 1985 pickup - wish I didn't sell it.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
i say the 1980 for sure!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
^ what he said