Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Bodie & Benton R&R, Bodie & Aurora Ghost Towns

Old 06-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
YodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud of
Air Force: Medic
YodaMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Bodie & Benton R&R, Bodie & Aurora Ghost Towns

Since my last visit last year, the road has entirley been engulfed by an encroaching sand dune.

My VSC really helped taking this off-camber dune when I would begin to bog down. High altitude, turning, off camber, and deep sand make this fun. Pictures don't do it justice.

Another look at the dune.

These railroad ties have been left relatively untouched for 100 + years. Very cool.

My truck crawling a gulley where the road has washed out.

My Dad's new FJ. Pretty sweet vehicle I must add.

Bodie, an old mining ghost town near Bridgeport, CA.

Bodie is in a state of "Arrested decay" which means the state does not upkeep the buildings, just prevents them from falling down.

Old Bodie mill

En route the Aurora, an older ghost town across the Nevada border we found the remains of an ore crusher. Oh and my truck

Another shot of the building. We walked inside, pretty interesting.

A really muddy bog. The FJ started to go through the middle but sunk real deep real fast. There was a bypass to the upper left that we took. Tread lightly!

We found Z71 Chevy out in the middle of nowhere. Engine and wheels gone. Pretty much intact after that. We reported it to the Rangers at Bodie.

My Dad and I were debating if it was stolen, or if it broke down. Kind of a long drive to take apart a stolen car I thought. I decided it broke down. Note to self: Don't take a Chevy in Toyota territory!

Anothe shot of the broken truck.

A few creek crossings were fun. The one before this was deeper and had bigger rocks.

Aurora, a ghost town. 10,000 people used to live here. A lot of rubble and old mines. I'm a history geek. I love this kinda stuff.

Mark Twain lived here for a short period of time and worked as a miner, and he writes about it in his book "Roughing It".

Overall a great trip, I can't wait to do it again next year. If I had to offer advice to people wanted to take this trip as I learned the hard way last year, is BE PREPARED. Spares, tow straps, shovels, come alongs, tools, extra gas, GPS (I was using 2) and a map. Aurora is in the boonies for sure and would not want to get stranded out there. But I HIGHLY encourage anyone to check these places out that are into ghost towns and history.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
YodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud of
Haha sorry about that, I messed up the pics at first. But now they should be ok.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Thanks guys, I really didn't want to come back to civilization. Very relaxing, go at your own pace trip.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome dude, I wish I was back in AZ.......
Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a sweet trip! i want to do on a off road adventure like this sooooo bad, but i would have to do some traveling to find anything like this. awesome pics.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Not gonna lie I did get stuck in the sand on the way out, the stretch of sand is almost 100 meters long now and you are sideways for most of it...the FJ had to pull me out and it was my Dad...it was the basis for jokes the rest of the trip haha. I figured out why I got stuck needed a lot of speed to get through, and I turned my wheels sideways without realizing it. It is kinda hard to tell in that sand and it was killing my momentum and I was stalling. Turned it to 4 Low and I started digging in. I went through the dune like 6 more times to PROVE that it was user error, not truck lol. Best way was to go in 4 hi, 1st gear going about 20 mph keeping my RPMs up real high. The altitude also was killing some horse power in my 4 banger, but over all it performed awesome. My new BFG's did wonders too.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pics! I need to go play on the desert sometime, looks fun. What kinda tire pressure were you running?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
I never have a bad time out in the desert. I was running street pressure, forgot my portable air compressor at home so I didn't bother airing down although I am sure it would have helped.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet pics!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about

2010 trd sport's Tacoma Gallery
Great pics. That looked like an awesome trip! I wish there was something like that around here. Thanks for sharing!