Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Miller Jeep Trail - Trail Report from June 13, 2010

Old 06-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Miller Jeep Trail - Trail Report from June 13, 2010

So mpleitez and myself decided to blow off the off road show in Ontario and go wheeling in the south end of Kern County... Miller Jeep Trail

It was a good test of the ATRAC system and although I was very impressed how well it works, I would say it is not for continual use - I was very surprised that I found it's limits. For a while I was thinking my locker might not get another work out after this run.

I was doing a "point and shoot" attack on one of the most challenging climbs in the large rocks and the ATRAC system was just a bit overwhelmed - If it makes any of you die-hard ATRAC users feel better, I spun a couple of my tires on that run and need to go re-balance them. I was running 18 psi on all wheels. It would be interesting how this would work running beadlocks!

While I am at it... Next time you mount or balance your wheels, place the 'I' in the Max PSI (if it is on the tire) in the middle of where the valve stem is. I've used this indexing on my mountain bikes for years to make sure I can fix a flat (know where the thorn is). On our trucks if we spin a tire on a rim and we have to ride back from a long distance, all you need to do is break the bead with your high lift jack, re-clock the tire to the right position, seat the bead and be on your merry way.

Overall it was a marginal company , good weather (75 and no wind until up on top but that felt nice!) and a great little wheeling challenge. Being that we didn't know where the hell we were going since it was very last minute, I called Ebradda and he was cool enough to email me directions to my Droid - the same Droid that took all of these pictures and video.

Traveling Up the 5 to Frazier Park Exit
At this point we are aimlessly wondering as we don't know if we missed our exit!

On the Trial Not Knowing If It's the Right One - This wasn't it

May the Hills Begin...

We found the Lockwood Creek Trail!

Still Very Burned out on This Part of the Trail!

Another Part of that Trail We Weren't Looking For

That's what we like to see!

And even better - Miller Jeep Trail!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfSOU2MlTy8

Just if I could shake this guy from my ass!

Good thing I washed it the night before...

End of the Lockwood Trail

Riding the ridge

Another view of the Burn

And more

Mario Testing his Diff Breather Mod...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPAB8R0xqE8

Rocky Road...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w88XkoRXF8I

My Denny License Plate Holder

Might be a good place to camp... good firewood supply!

A view from the top

A view from the bottom

Trip in to the back side of Hungry Valley OHV in Gorman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym2Zmmt-otc

Hmmm... allows firearms, fires and camping - sounds like my kind of place!

Custom and Original

Mario? Where is that picture of you behind the sushi bar! He knows a great place we hit up for all you can eat sushi!!! Plus he's a regular celebrity and we get the red carpet treatment!

All-in-all - great trip and found the limits to ATRAC system.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I have wanted to try this trail. I went there a few months ago and it was closed.

What type of ground clearance is required? Can a stock 4x4 make it? 3 inch lift without armor? 3 inch lift with sliders & off-road bumpers? Can someone without ATRAC and without lockers make it?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg_CBmHITwE
Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by db67fm View Post
I have wanted to try this trail. I went there a few months ago and it was closed.

What type of ground clearance is required? Can a stock 4x4 make it? 3 inch lift without armor? 3 inch lift with sliders & off-road bumpers? Can someone without ATRAC and without lockers make it?
Properly placed wheels could get you through - Although I would really suggest that if you have a truck that has ATRAC, sliders and skids are very inexpensive insurance for taking a new rig off road.

Back to your question... Yes, many stock guys that I know have done it.

Stock - Yes but it may be a gamble!

3" w/o Armor - Yes, but I wouldn't do it - may have some carnage depending upon your skill level and your luck!

3" with Sliders - Yes and they will be used!

Without ATRAC - You could almost always find a line and hopefully someone is ahead of you (to give you a tug) on 1 or 2 spots.

Bottomline, if you are cautious (I sometimes have a hard time with that), take your time, have good wheel placement and use a spotter from time-to-time, you should be able to make it.

I hate to take this to the gutter but... consider this trail a whore house and armor as a condom... just sayin'
Old 06-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Nice pics Paul. I too have been wanted to try that trail? Can I make it? I almost tried last time I was at HV. Looks fun.
Let's do it sometime - I be your puller! I know Manny may get jealous but I'm okay with that!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Ban Pending

ATRAC gets a workout...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j9nSFt3xo4
Old 06-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Ban Pending

Quote:
Ha. Manny? Who is that? I forgot abou him a long time ago.
This is a long trail but I think you'd like it and I would bet you might need a tug maybe 1 or 2 times max!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Ban Pending

Quote:
Sweet. I'm down. Don't forget about me next time. And are you almost ready for pilot rock?
Do you have time this week? I have a bunch of work but I am sure I'll need a break!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Let me see. I might have a day off. I'll check right now. But I may not know until the day before if I do. If I do work everyday I am normally done around 3. If your ok with an evening run we can do that. But let me check first to see if I got a day off.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
Ban Pending

Quote:
Let me see. I might have a day off. I'll check right now. But I may not know until the day before if I do. If I do work everyday I am normally done around 3. If your ok with an evening run we can do that. But let me check first to see if I got a day off.
I'm okay with a 3pm pilot rock run.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #15
Ban Pending

Quote:
Ok. So who you wanna invite? Up to you.

Any word on the goods?
I'm open! Who can get time off? - I think Manny's rig needs some trail stripes!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #17
Ban Pending

Quote:
You can start a thread if you want. But I don't think it's smart to have 15 people.
I would agree. I'll pm you.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a good time! sweet pics and vids
Old 06-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #19
Ban Pending

Mario shows us how it's done...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlAPn3-OBc
Old 06-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #20
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
i'd like to check this out too. i go back to lockwood valley alot. i'll ride shotgun w/ somebody or try to make it in my truck, only prob is i dont have good tow points right now...