1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question to everyone

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by in2nite, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Jun 3, 2008 at 10:55 PM
    in2nite

in2nite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    SoCal.
    Vehicle:
    blk 07 prerunner
    Engage Offroad L/T front and rear, Kings and 50t pack, Hella 4000's, Pro Comp Wheels and tires
    I just read all the 4x4 vs 4x2 blah blah blah..... My question to u all is what you consider to be offroading... I mean some of the comments were pretty crazy.. For me I down for the Dessert and I know for sure even at my skill level which only a few times out, that I could smoke any 44in tsl tired 4x4 out in that enviorment in my Pre runner..

And if anyone of u won even half the lottery, Ican pretty much bet that none of u r going to by a Tacoma with V6..

So what I guess im trying to say is 4x4 is good in one setting and a Pre runner is good in another.. both great trucks and both cool offroad.

So the Question is, what is your idea of offroading?

PLEASE REPLY...

2. Jun 3, 2008 at 11:37 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Offroading is just that..... Off pavement & Off roadways.

Anything that's made of *nature* (non pavement) that's not a part of the public roadway system.

Anyone can go offroad - including your mom's minivan. It's all a matter of the terrain you're in.....and the capabilities your vehicle will need.

3. Jun 3, 2008 at 11:40 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    +1

4. Jun 4, 2008 at 3:31 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    well of course in the desert a solid axle 4x4 with 44in heavy terrain tires is gonna suck bawlz...but you get in the mountains and have to go thru a rock garden thats a quartermile long...that prerunner aint gonna do squat...you cant even really compare those 2

you need to compare something with similar modifications where the only REAL performance difference is the 4wd or lack thereof...im still of the mindset that if you offroad in any kind of regular or serious capacity...its better to have the 4wd and never use it then to get out in the middle of the woods or desert and get dug in somewhere or stuck on something and need it and not have it

and if i won the lottery...youre right...i wouldnt buy a tacoma with a v6...ive already got one...id buy a motorcycle and a house and pay off my bills and call it a day...sit on the majority of the rest of it

and like the others said...offroading by definition would be driving on anything other than a man made surface...however the level of difficulty determines how far off pavement you can take a particular vehicle

5. Jun 4, 2008 at 5:24 AM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    What everybody else said +4, especially about what I'd do with lottery winnings!

6. Jun 4, 2008 at 6:19 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    I totally agree that "offroading" encompasses everything that isn't a road or a government maintained thoroughfare.

My specific idea of offroading (and the reason that I have a 4x4 truck) is having to get to our hunting land. Just the "driveway" has about six or eight 75 yard long "low spots" which, if it has rained in the last week, make it completely inaccessible without 4 wheel drive. That's saying nothing of the other places we have to get into.

And before you say it, yes, we have equipment and can get gravel and have huge drainage ditches along the roads, but the fact of the matter is that our farm is located in an area where the top 8 inches of ground can be completely dry and appear safe. However, under that 8 inches of safe ground is a soupy black nasty mess. Anything over about 2000 lbs. (basically anything bigger than a 4-wheeler or John Deere Gator) breaks through in at least some places even on the roads.

Therefore, while I agree with your original premise that 4 wheel drive might not be needed for a desert environment, there are certain places and environments that it not only comes in handy, it is absolutely essential to get done what you need to get done.

7. Jun 4, 2008 at 11:19 AM
    in2nite

in2nite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    SoCal.
    Vehicle:
    blk 07 prerunner
    Engage Offroad L/T front and rear, Kings and 50t pack, Hella 4000's, Pro Comp Wheels and tires
    you guys r right.. all im saying is 4x4s are great and 2x4s r equally for the enviorment u put them in... everyone has a different idea of what offroading is or what they want to do with there vehicle.. So why argue about it.

Heck I think my truck is pretty bad ass and in my head i think my truck is better than most. but on the flip someone else may think my truck is junk because it doesnt do what there truck can do..

so why be a d*** about it. Who gives a rats a** any way.. enjoy what u got and if u dont like buy something else.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top