Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Trails outside DT Reno!

Old 06-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Schully is a jewel in the roughSchully is a jewel in the roughSchully is a jewel in the rough

Name: Aaron
Schully's Tacoma Gallery
Trails outside DT Reno!

I was in Reno to meet with a counselor at UNR and arrived in town early. I decided to explore. Check out what I found right off Virginia St. I'm sure all you local Reno members know all about these trails. lol Anyways, it was fun!

Are there any 4x4 spots or trails I should hit up next time?

Well, here ya go.

Just across the street and down the road...

Now this is what I call steep!

This is the closest I got to the top. Not too shabby right? I just couldn't get enough traction for the last 20 ft or so.

See that large water tank in the distance? After about 6 or 7 tries I made it to the top. The line I took was just to the left of the tank straight up.

And here's a picture at the "water tower" peak.
REPRESENTIN' SON!!!! TW!!!

FLEX! That left rear wheel is about a foot off of the ground, it's hard to tell.

Stuffed to the max.

Hope you guys dig the pics. I'm taking my truck out to big sur next week so I'll post up some more then. Later.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Schully is a jewel in the roughSchully is a jewel in the roughSchully is a jewel in the rough

Schully's Tacoma Gallery
Has anybody been out here when it's wet? I would think it'd be a good spot to mud.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Toyota FTW
2000yota has a spectacular aura about2000yota has a spectacular aura about2000yota has a spectacular aura about

Name: Garrett
2000yota's Tacoma Gallery
looks awesome man im nowhere near there but it looks fun. i wish i could get my tw sticker to represent ha
Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pics...I made it out there twice last year (plan is to make it out there once this year). I'll look for the trails when I'm there.

btw, UNR would be sweet for undergrad (or grad!?.)...go wolf pack!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Where exactly is this at? My sister lives right outside of DT Reno, and I'm going there for the 4th of July weekend. I'd definitely love to check it out.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schully View Post
Has anybody been out here when it's wet? I would think it'd be a good spot to mud.
Yep. The mud only gets about 4" deep but it is slick and sticky nasty stuff.

Also, you've only found the tip of the iceburg... that's about 0.02% of the good local wheeling here.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #7

Schully's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Yep. The mud only gets about 4" deep but it is slick and sticky nasty stuff.

Also, you've only found the tip of the iceburg... that's about 0.02% of the good local wheeling here.
REALLY? Well where do you like to wheel in NV?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #8

Schully's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeith747 View Post
Nice pics...I made it out there twice last year (plan is to make it out there once this year). I'll look for the trails when I'm there.

btw, UNR would be sweet for undergrad (or grad!?.)...go wolf pack!
I'm stoked. I'll be there next fall!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #9

Schully's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_wood View Post
Where exactly is this at? My sister lives right outside of DT Reno, and I'm going there for the 4th of July weekend. I'd definitely love to check it out.
You can't miss it. Pretty sure it was Virginia St. Drive past UNR and towards the hills. You can't help but see all the trails. Check it out man!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #10

Schully's Tacoma Gallery
A funny thing happened. There was a RAV4 wheeling out there packed full of chicks. I waved as they drove by and one of the girls climbed onto the roof hanging on to the ski rack screaming. I followed them till they stopped bc I wanted to see what's up. They were on drugs for sure, pupils huge. It was super awkward so I dipped on em'. haha

They must have been in the 2010 Basehead Baja lol They were ratty lookin too
Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schully View Post
You can't miss it. Pretty sure it was Virginia St. Drive past UNR and towards the hills. You can't help but see all the trails. Check it out man!
I definitely will man. I'll take my brother in law with me and I'm sure he will know of it.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #13

Schully's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
enjoy the cold winters. i lived there. decided to move back to cali for school.
Oh believe me I will man. I'm all about boarding and skiing. I wouldn't be goin there if it was never cold.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Next time look up the Hunter Lake Road: has some fun parts, a few play areas near trailhead, awesome views, about a 2-3hr thru trail/road to Verdi. Also check out Moonrocks about 25min north of Reno off Pyramid highway: mostly OHV stuff but there are some fun play areas right at the trailhead, they stage rock crawling comps there, kinda like slickrock. And of course the old standby, Peavine (the huge bald mountain at the NW corner of Reno): lots of trails all over, a few good climbs, tech ruts, and just roads/trails everywhere that connect all over the place, Reno to Stampede all dirt etc.

Those are some good place to start. You can be on Hunter Lake or Peavine in less than 10min from DT.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #15

Schully's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Next time look up the Hunter Lake Road: has some fun parts, a few play areas near trailhead, awesome views, about a 2-3hr thru trail/road to Verdi. Also check out Moonrocks about 25min north of Reno off Pyramid highway: mostly OHV stuff but there are some fun play areas right at the trailhead, they stage rock crawling comps there, kinda like slickrock. And of course the old standby, Peavine (the huge bald mountain at the NW corner of Reno): lots of trails all over, a few good climbs, tech ruts, and just roads/trails everywhere that connect all over the place, Reno to Stampede all dirt etc.

Those are some good place to start. You can be on Hunter Lake or Peavine in less than 10min from DT.
Good knowledge! Gonna have to check it out next time.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 AM   #16
ErikB is a splendid one to beholdErikB is a splendid one to beholdErikB is a splendid one to beholdErikB is a splendid one to beholdErikB is a splendid one to beholdErikB is a splendid one to behold

Name: Erik
ErikB's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to ErikB
in the winter if you want to do some pretty good snow wheeling, you have to head south on 395 to a town called coleville and go up mill canyon.... its a fun place to go to do some snow wheeling and some sledding too...
Old 12-12-2010, 05:00 AM   #17
EndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really nice

Name: Jason
EndlessSummer's Tacoma Gallery
If you ever make it back to reno go to caughlin ranch and go wheel around the old hawkins fire was. LOTS of road systems and other cool stuff.