Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Snatch strap question

Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Dirty D is on a distinguished road
Dirty D's Tacoma Gallery
Snatch strap question

Hey TW,

I have been mulling over this problem for a while and can not seem to find a definite solution. So I recently got a Smittybilt hitch receiver with D-ring and a ARB 17,500lbs snatch strap. My question is if someone is stuck in front of me on a narrow trail and I can not get in front of them, can I use the snatch strap on my factory front tow hook? I have heard that using reverse to recover a vehicle can cause all kinds of problems.

What would you all do to get the stuck car out?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
It's better to pull from the rear. Only pull from the front if you don't have a choice. Reverse towing supposedly can be hard on your tranny. With that being siad, I admit I've pulled in reverse a few times with a few different trucks and had no problems. Regarding the hook, if it's a little 1/4" steel rod loop designed to tie down your truck to a tow truck flatbed, don't pull from it. If it's something beefier, it's probably fine.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Dirty D is on a distinguished road
Dirty D's Tacoma Gallery
To be honest I don't know what the rating on the front tow hook is. I have a 2002 taco, does anyone know what the hook is rated to?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
Snatch Strap?? That sounds like something u would use in the bedroom