Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

tacomas on the beach

Old 06-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
fitryders2 will become famous soon enough
Name: shawn
fitryders2's Tacoma Gallery
tacomas on the beach

hey guys i have a 07 ext cab tacoma trd sport. its a v6 6spd 4wd. its all stock. yesterday i took it on the beach for the first time. at first it was doing real well then i wanted to test it out a little. when i got into the soft sand it didnt do so well. yes stock tires i know that much. one thing i noticed when i put it in 4wd it was real hard to get goin, it just wanted to stall out unless i revved to about 2500 rpms, any reason why? and also i had wheel hop like crazy? also seemed like the whole drivetrain was moving to much. i dunno why. any info or tips would be great . thanks guys
Old 06-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
welcome. air down the tires, get rid of the dueller h/t stock tires too. they suck. not sure about 4wd stuff. sometimes soft sand is just too soft to allow for traction. also sounds like you could use new leaf springs in the rear. there is a tsb out for that if you're still under 36,000 miles. otherwise a simple add a leaf will help solve that issue.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
thanks for the response. i am just out of 36k. but i use to work at a toyota dealership. might be able to pull some strings.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
My TRD Sport 4x4 was awesome in sand with the stock duelers. I rarely put it in 4x4 and never aired down the tires, and yes, i was in soft soft sand... Cape Hatteras and Organ Inlet NC have soft sands. The only advice i can offer is to not stop on the soft sands. As soon as you feel your tires dig and forward progress stop, switch on the 4x4 or stop all together. As mentioned before, lower your tires pressure, down to 15psi. The tires flare out and offer more traction to ride on top of the sand...
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Since you are a manual I'd use 4wd low for deep soft sand so you avoid stalling.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
The other thing I noticed down in OBX is that there's "reddish" colored sand, that for some reason is a LOT softer than the rest. I aired down to 20PSI in my stock tires, kept it in 4HI in 2nd gear, and did fine. But you could really feel when you hit those red sand patches and really start sliding around.

Next time holler before you go down there!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
It might be a while before i am back up that way. I was stationed in Elizabeth city for 5 months for training... Next time I head back that way tho, ill let ya know... hopefully we can will be able to get a group together
Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future
Name: Daniel
2gtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
tires defiantly help. The driver also helps, not saying you dont know how to drive ur truck. But just saying knowing when to haul some ass and when to slow down. Sand is killer if ur rollin slow with ht tires and u will really get stuck in a hurry.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Air down and 4wd low will help the starts, as well as switching gears so there isnt as large of a gap. Soft sand just gives a lot of rolling resistance, so those two things will help a lot!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
yeah ive been wheeling for a little while i had a lifted s10 zr2 before this truck and also a 89 toyota pickup. the pickup was manual and i never had the bogging problem. ive been driving manual vehicles for years now and ive never had any troubles. as far as the sand i was just looking for some feed back on experience and info. but i was mainly curious about having to give it so much gas in 4hi to get it to not stall. and also the wheel hop. i was in corolla, nc and the sand got pretty soft the farther up the beach you went and i guess i was just testing my luck. thanks again for the replies