LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Damage your truck by mudding

Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
acmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
acmair's Tacoma Gallery
Damage your truck by mudding

Is it possible to damage your truck by mudding? As in, the internal components, or anything like that, or does it just get dirty?

Also, does leaving the dirt cause any damage?

Sorry for the noob question
Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Depending on the type of mud- It can leak back down thru vents and breather valves. It can also expose problems (like frayed wires, loose connections, etc) faster as water/mud leaks into them.

As far as mud damaging the paint- Yup. Depends on the type of mud, how well you wax/care for your truck before hand, and lots of other variables.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
yes if water gets to high you can hydro lock your engine,
also i am sure if you leave mud on any of bushings and steering componets could dry rot
Old 06-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Alternators, wheel bearings, and idler pulleys are the most common mud/water victims on our trucks...
I've got some jacked up pulley's right now
Old 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
I always say no

to mud that is. Unless its a few small puddles or so. Mud pits are not my cup of tea. Trail rides with obstacles like mud "puddles" rocks and tree are a normal ride around here.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
it will eat seals, bearings, and alternators very quickly
Old 06-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Jason
jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
Possible, Yes
Likely, Yes
Getting it "dirty" is the least damaging thing it does to your truck.
Worth it?
Thats up to you.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Jackal1392 is on a distinguished road
Name: Taylor
Jackal1392's Tacoma Gallery
I fried my alternator when mudding once.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
They say a picture is worth 1000 words. Mud can fuck shit up if you bury yourself up to your frame religiously. If play in the mud once and awhile and clean the undercarriage especially your output seals/pulleys/bearings mud will have minimal time to tear apart everything...

This is the outside of the ADD shaft on my old front diff. It had about a half inch of play.

This is the inside end of that long connector shaft housing. Mud worked it way down and smoked this as well.

Why was my frame 2x to heavy

Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
BigBoi is on a distinguished road
Name: Jacob
BigBoi's Tacoma Gallery
Just don't be an idiot doing it. Cut doughnuts in a muddy field if you're scared.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post

Why was my frame 2x to heavy

what is that, and what is inside it? (I know this is a mudding thread but that doesn't look like mud at all.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 169.254.255.201 View Post
what is that, and what is inside it?
Looks like his frame filled with mud.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
what is that, and what is inside it? (I know this is a mudding thread but that doesn't look like mud at all.
Compact mud the funny texture is from the torch getting it warm.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #15
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nougat. Like a 3 Musketeers bar.

Looks to me like accumulated impacted dirt.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Nougat. Like a Milky Way bar.

Looks to me like accumulated impacted dirt.
Wut.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
.<>./

^the way you can tell it was in the frame before the cut the area where the torch chopped it apart is clean. Had it impacted the ground enough to fill the frame it would be dirty
Old 09-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Mud caused me to have to replace one of my idler pulleys. Apparently they aren't sealed so muddy water can get in em and make them whine... and fail.

Some types, like super fine silt can get all up in gaskets and such. I tend to avoid super silty areas.

When I do get it muddy, I try to pressure wash it within a week or so. Paint, undercarriage, engine bay, everything but the interior.

Mudding can cause you to hit unseen/buried obsticals... or slide into them. Depending on where you are at....

As with any off roading, if you are going to do it, be prepared to break shit eventually!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
I've read that pressure washing can backfire on you because it pushes dirt deep down into seals where it wouldn't have gone.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
I've read that pressure washing can backfire on you because it pushes dirt deep down into seals where it wouldn't have gone.
Probably does have some adverse affects. Gotta get the mud off somehow though and when a garden hose isnt cutting its.