1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Explain LSD and ATRAC to me as I was a 5 yr old.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Steve1155, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Jun 18, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    Steve1155

Steve1155 [OP] Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    : (
    I'm getting ready to buy a Tacoma. I like the look of the sport better than that of the OR. Obviously the OR is gonna perform better off road. If it's not too much to ask can someone explain the sports LSD and the OR ATRAC to me in simplified terms. I've never been an off roader but now with my son getting older I can finally do all the "dad things" with him, which would require be off road more. Don't know if the OR performance outweighs the Sports looks.

2. Jun 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
  3. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    seoulja99 likes this.
  4. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    solidcopy

solidcopy High Speed, Low Drag

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    If a picture is worth 1000 words, those videos are worth a million!

A-TRAC seems to brake the free-spinning wheel within only a revolution or two and transfer all the remaining torque to the remaining wheel (with traction) whereas TRAC seems to was a lot of torque on the free-spinning wheels.

5. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    You asked for a simple explanation so I'll keep it brief and simple for you. :) Simple is good.

LSD only works in 2WD. It will transfer torque to a wheel on the same axle.

[​IMG]

ATRAC is an amazing piece of technology. It works in 4WD-4Lo, and prevents wheel slip like Auto-LSD but it's much more proactive. I recommend you go watch some or all of the videos we have collected here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/of...ac-videos-active-traction-control-action.html

6. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    ATRAC and TRAC are Awesome

LSD just plan sucks..

7. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    my TRAC doesnt slip near as much...

8. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
  9. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

best explination so far!!!

10. Jun 19, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    TRAC (in H4) in MY Tacoma (an OFF ROAD TRD 4WD) does NOT allow that kind of slippage... While it does not lock the free tire and traction tire as tightly as the A-TRAC (in L4) does, it still limits the free spinning much more than the video of the Sport Tacoma shows.

Keep in mind that A-TRAC only works in L4 and TRAC only works in H4 (and H2). Did the Tacoma do that in Low Range (then he had no TRAC)? The 4Runner WAS in Low Range (for the A-TRAC to work).

Either the Sport Tacoma TRAC works so poorly (because it doesn't have the hydraulic brake booster the Off Road Tacomas have) or he was in Low Range, so the differentials were OPEN!?

The only way for a Sport Tacoma to have TRAC in Low Range is to perform the Yellow Wire Mod... That wild spinning and dirt flinging was no example of TRAC... at least the TRAC that the Off Road Tacomas have.

Thank you for posting...

Steve 1155, I see the first reply you got had a link to my thread... I hope that helped you understand the traction options we with Off Road TRDs have... They are amazing!

11. Jun 19, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Steve1155

Steve1155 [OP] Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    : (
    Thanks for all the help guys. Little by little its soaking in. Never been into off roading, more of a speed guy so i know its gonna take a bit to learn everything. David K, yes I did check out the link to your post and it significantly helped. I did however have to read it over a few times, (my ignorance on the matter, not clarity of the info). I'm pretty much in the same boat where one person asked,"how and when would you need the different combinations of the transmisson, and if you could give examples in certain terrain." I do find that reading every related post on the matter is quickly starting to clear it up a lot for me. Thanks to all for your patience and help.

12. Jun 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Maybe, I was also in 4hi. I did the 4lo trac mod, but then reversed it a while back to take it in for my tranny. Next time I go out I'll have to separate the wires again and try it in 4lo

13. Jun 19, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hey, it took me awhile to figure it out... and I have the thing! LOL

a) You don't need to touch a thing in 2WD (You have TRAC which is a 'lite LSD') unless...

1) You get stuck in a sand/ mud/ snow hole... and don't want to use the 4WD... so you quickly press the VSC Off button (for TRAC Off Mode). That puts you into 'AUTO LSD', which is like Posi Traction on the rear end (watch 'My Cousin Vinny') for a stronger LSD than norma,l in 2WD.

2) You want to spin-out like a drunk on ice skates in snow or mud, in 2WD (or 4WD Hi)... so you press and HOLD down, while STOPPED for several seconds, the VSC Off button. That puts you in VSC Off Mode which is OPEN differential(s).

b) In High Range 4WD, you are normally in TRAC, which is stronger than TRAC in 2WD... it is actually the same as AUTO LSD on all 4 tires (no engine output regulation). For open differentials to allow the tires to spin, then hold down the VSC Off button while stopped until the indicator lights come on.

c) In Low Range 4WD, the differentials are OPEN... Don't know why Toyota did that, because TRAC in H4 is more able to do things than L4 without TRAC. So, for more traction:

1) Push the A-TRAC button once, and each time you go into L4, you will have the locker-like traction of the A-TRAC system if you have the Off Road TRD. If not an Off Road TRD, then see the posts on the Yellow Wire Mod to give you traction control while in Low Range! It is not the same as A-TRAC, but TRAC is better than no TRACTION Control!

IF you ever get stuck, and have gone into Low Range 4WD with the A-TRAC, you also have the Rear Differential Locker to fall back on. I have not been in a situation (yet) that A-TRAC didn't get me through, however!

So, relax... in H2 and H4, you normally dion't need to touch anything. In L4, for steep or deep or crazy conditions: Press the A-TRAC button!

14. Jun 19, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Also, im wondering if they made TRAC more aggressive for 2010s. maybe they saw it worked really good in 09 and decided to try to make it tighter in 2010s???

15. Jun 19, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    the Hydraulic Brake Booster may be the reason it works better for us with Off Road TRDs... ?

16. Jun 19, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    i dont have a TRD OR and mine works much better than the video posted

Tridet167 likes this.
  17. Jun 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    That's why I suspect that video didn't actually show TRAC at all...

18. Jun 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
  19. Jun 20, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Okay if that was your truck in High Range 4WD with TRAC and VSC on, let's see the truck WITHOUT TRAC, to compare (hold the VSC Off switch down while stopped until the light comes on).

What TRAC does is reduce torque from spinning tire and transfer it to traction tire.

In your videos, I see a wild spinning tire, kicking dust... This is normal 'open differential' 4WD mode, not limited slip action.... at least not the LSD that we in Off Road TRDs have (TRAC in H4 or AUTO LSD in H2).

Thank you for taking the time and effort to show us what your (non off road) Tacoma is doing!

20. Jun 20, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Whoa dude, I know how to operate my truck and I know when trac is being activated. If you watch the video above where my front passenger is in the air, you'll see it spin, then at about 0:09 you'll see the brakes grab it and the truck start to move forward.

Here's another one, this time I have two wheels in the air at the same time, and you can even hear trac activating.

http://www.vimeo.com/11756068

Products Discussed in

To Top